Upgrading my PC - 30k budget

rahulhbk

Disciple
Hi guys.. Looking to upgrade my rig.. But have a few specific questions as well. So i'll include those at the end of the template

Q: What is your budget?

30k (can go in for upgrades spread out over a few months but not more than 60k in total)

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration

CPU - Intel Q9550

Motherboard - Asus P5Q (P45)

GPU - ATI HD4850

RAM - Transcend 2X2GB PC6400

Monitor - BenQ G2412

Audio - Asus Xonar DX

SMPS - Corsair TX650

Case - CM690

Boot drive - Seagate 500GB 7200.12

Other drives - Seagate 500GB 7200.12, 1TB 7200.12, Samsung DVDRW

Key/Mouse - IBall wireless, MX 518 for gaming.

Speakers - Creative T6060 5.1

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping

Monitor - BenQ G2412

SMPS - Corsair TX650

Case - CM690

The HDDs, DVD drive, speakers and keyboard and mouse of-course :)

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Not sure

Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

GPU - Not sure

RAM - Not sure

Audio card - Not sure

HDD - Want to go in for SSD

Want to get a bluray drive

Will go in for a larger monitor at some point in the near future. Probably around Diwali. Or might end up getting a TV. If i get a larger monitor please keep in mind the increased resolution while suggesting.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Final Config.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Bangalore

Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1) Gaming

2) Browsing

3) Desktop Processing

4) Download rig, 24x7 operation

5) Watching HD movies

6) VMWare (Running Linux in VM on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate)

7) Video Encoding (Mostly fraps videos and home videos, blurays if i get the drive)

8) Software development (.Net, usually have SQL server running as well)

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

None. Open to all suggestions

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

I play and replay almost every kind of game. Crysis 2, COD, Witcher 1/2, Assasin's Creed, Starcraft2, Minecraft.. Long list :)

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Gaming - 1920x1080

Desktop - 1920x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate (Already have the original)

Linux - Fedora/Ubuntu running in VMs

Questions :

1) I have to upgrade my graphics card soon. It seems to be dying a slow death with random graphic corruptions and all. Should i wait for it to completely die :ashamed: before i buy a new one? It might not handle everything at maximum but i was still able to play Crysis 2 at maximum resolution with the effects turned down with zero lag.

2) Is upgrading the rest of the system going to give me a performance boost worth the price? It handles most things (gaming etc) without lag. The only time i have lag is when VMs are running and i start doing other stuff as well. But with the next architecture change due next year i see no reason to wait either.

3) I'm not happy with the Xonar. Driver support is horrid. And I've been listening to the sound on my roomy's XFi and it sounds much better with a lot more bass. It also does more justice to 6 channel audio as well. Plus the motherboard i have has just one PCIe x1 lane that is free and its right under the gfx card. They both really don't get along and i've had to break up the quarrel a few times :mad: Now they sit happily because i put an insulating material between them but it can't possibly be a long term solution.

4) SSD and faster/larger RAM. These seem to be the two things that will definitely increase performance more than anything else. Another option I've had in mind is to get a new 2TB drive and dump the data from the 500GB drives on this. Then put the two 500GBs in RAID 0. Please advice what to get/do.

That's a really long post. For anyone who actually reads through the whole lot, Thanks in advance :clap:

You have pretty decent system... i would advice you to upgrade when 22nm ivybridge processors would launch next year if you are not in a hurry... you can do one thing now if you want you can upgrade your GPU and you can buy an SSD if you really need one...

GPU i'll have to upgrade. I've already had it repaired once and its going the same way as last time again. The upgrade that i had in mind was get a really good GPU, and put in another 4 gigs of RAM along with that 500 GBx2 RAID i mentioned. Wont' cost more than 25k. And this way i can go in for the major upgrade next year.

Also any suggestions on the sound card part?

rahulhbk said:
3) I'm not happy with the Xonar. Driver support is horrid. And I've been listening to the sound on my roomy's XFi and it sounds much better with a lot more bass. It also does more justice to 6 channel audio as well.

Which XFi are u mentioning?
Sound quality depends on the speakers, room acoustics, speaker positioning, playback file bitrate, Equalizer settings...

Also T6060 doesnt benefit much from a soundcard...

He has a Fatality XFi.. and the same speakers.. Is there any link to proper sound setup that i can use then? :)
Also please suggest the GPU upgrade.. I havent seen any info about the release date of HD7xxx so far but rumors are around september. Should i be waiting for my card to finally die :ashamed: or get a new HD6950 and be done with it for a while.

About the rest i think i'll do the extra RAM and 500GB RAID thing unless there's any other suggestions :)

rahulhbk said:
Also please suggest the GPU upgrade.. I havent seen any info about the release date of HD7xxx so far but rumors are around september. Should i be waiting for my card to finally die :ashamed: or get a new HD6950 and be done with it for a while.

Okay is your card dead / dying / stuck in transition / resurrected -- if you think it will hold on till September wait for the AMD HD 7*** series as power efficiency (28 nm fabrication) will be redefined and a better architecture will be followed (VLIW4 is in out goes the veteran VLIW5) -- AnandTech - AMD's Graphics Core Next Preview: AMD's New GPU, Architected For Compute / Cayman Confirmed To Be Using VLIW4 SP Arrangement, Redesigned ROPs | techPowerUp

rahulhbk said:
He has a Fatality XFi.. and the same speakers.. Is there any link to proper sound setup that i can use then? :)

If i were u, i will do experiments by placing the sub at different places..(Always works for me) OR Google is ur best friend...:) When it comes to music, Dont underestimate Xonar DX

To be future proof, get HD6970 else play the waiting game..

^^ The AMD HD 6970 is not a great jump over the HD 6950 2GB version in overall performance scenarios, an HD 6950 1GB will be a cheap effective solution for ~2 years (playing on HD-resolution, high-to medium settings).

Unless OP is saying 3D performance OR Eyefinity anything over the AMD HD 6950 1GB will be a serious waste of cash under current circumstances. AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

Ya, i know there is a minimal performance diff of 6950 n 6970.... On seeing the OP's posts, i dont think he wil settle to medium settings.. Thats y suggested a 6970...

^^ Going by that adage will be a loss for OP himself, games like The Witcher 2 which butcher cards at anything except at the bare minimum eye-candy, most new / upcoming engines are centered around 1)dynamic lighting, instead of conventional light maps, 2)normal mapping instead of bump mapping, 3)tessellation support (biased towards the nVidia cards, due to architecture).

In this case OP should get a GTX 560 Ti and after 3-4 months SLi. But still performance of a GTX 560 Ti is mirrored by the AMD HD 6950 1GB except for games like HAWX 2, Civilizations V... which are biased towards the nVidia CUDA-core centered architecture and Physx libraries. In most of the other games / benchmarks / power statistics AMD pillages nVidia -- AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

tessellation support (biased towards the nVidia cards, due to architecture).

not with HD6900 series, only nVidia sponsored games is where AMD cards perform bad, but if you see AVP using tessellation, AMD cards, weaker in SP count, perform equally good or better.

Ok here's what i get out of all the above.. if my card dies i should get a HD6950 2 GB.. hopefully one that can be unlocked although those must be hard to find by now.. Otherwise i should wait for the hd7xxx series to come out..

As for the Xonar.. i've removed it from the slot under the GPU for the time being.. Am thinking i should go buy a Xonar D or Xonar D2 or maybe and XFI but PCI and let the Dx go.. even if i do buy a new graphics card, it'll be bigger than the 4850 i have now and will most certainly not play well with the xonar right in the next slot.. Why the damn board has no PCIe slot above the Gfx card i don't knw :( there's an empty space for a slot there but i guess they decided not to put it in last min :(

Also i'm getting another 2 TB HDD.. my current ones are full anyway.. and making a RAID 0 outta the 2 500 GB ones.. RAM leaving as is for now..

So my last question.. What sound card should i get? :) Budget around 6-8k :)

rahulhbk said:
So my last question.. What sound card should i get? :) Budget around 6-8k :)
With a Creative T6060, U wont hear an improvement in Sound quality by switching the sound card...

It s wise to spend on good speakers keeping ur current soundcard...

Meg@M!nd said:
With a Creative T6060, U wont hear an improvement in Sound quality by switching the sound card...

It s wise to spend on good speakers keeping ur current soundcard...

The prob is not sound imrovement although i wouldn't mind that.. the prob is that the xonar dx sits in the PCIe 1x slot which on my motherboard is only there right under the graphics card. I've had to put insulating material between them so they don't short out and now i've just removed the xonar altogether. I'm just looking for a replacement which works in PCI :) giving the Dx to my brother :D

Also how much would a Palit HD4850 Sonic Edition card go for now? Its the GDDR3 overclocked version..

rahulhbk said:
I'm just looking for a replacement which works in PCI :) giving the Dx to my brother :D

Also how much would a Palit HD4850 Sonic Edition card go for now? Its the GDDR3 overclocked version..
Almost all high-end soundcards are designed for PCIex1... 3-4K for 4850

Back