Budget 21-30k Upgrading from Ryzen 3 3200G

Dark Star

ex-Mod
I am planning to upgrade from Ryzen 3 3200G. I intend to use the same mobo/platform for now i.e. Asrock B450M Pro4-F/AM4.

I have 16gb DDr4 3200 in dual channel and I am looking to have a best bang for buck upgrade.

The cpu I have in mind is Ryzen 5 5600 (non X). It just doesn't make sense to spend 2-3k more for 200Mhz bump unless the price difference is paltry. I was eyeing the 5700X but not still clear on that. The non X & G version of the same just doesn't make sense given the price difference.

Secondly, I'll be needing a gpu too. I have shortlisted 6600XT/6650XT. I heard RMA'd/old gpu with 1-2y warranty goes for pretty reasonable price, given the egregious price situation I don't feel like buying a new gpu. Also, where I can source second hand GPU with aforementioned warranty and quality?

The current resolution is 1080p but I'll be upgrading to 2k in the near future. I don't play bleeding edge games so I am not bothered by RT and top of the line FPS.

Lastly, I will be keeping my Corsair CS450M SMPS and I hope it'll be able to drive the system without any hiccup. (5600+6650 should be ~250w at load?)

I do not intend to upgrade the SMPS (the reason for not opting the 6700 non XT) nor add more ram just the CPU/GPU.

Oh and how much should I expect to sell my 3200G (no warranty) for?

TIA

The cpu I have in mind is Ryzen 5 5600 (non X). It just doesn't make sense to spend 2-3k more for 200Mhz bump unless the price difference is paltry. I was eyeing the 5700X but not still clear on that.
Good choice. Get whichever you can find for cheaper. 5700X is good if you can fit within your budget else no worries.

The non X & G version of the same just doesn't make sense given the price difference.
Skip the G version unless you really need the iGPU for redundancy. It does not support PCIe 4.0 and has only half the cache of the regular one.

Cache has a significant impact on gaming performance and 6600/6650XT supports only 8 lanes of PCIe. So if you are limited to 3.0, then you lose a bit of performance there as well.

Secondly, I'll be needing a gpu too. I have shortlisted 6600XT/6650XT. I heard RMA'd/old gpu with 1-2y warranty goes for pretty reasonable price, given the egregious price situation I don't feel like buying a new gpu. Also, where I can source second hand GPU with aforementioned warranty and quality?
Post a WTB thread here. I think there were a couple of members reselling GPUs some time ago.

The current resolution is 1080p but I'll be upgrading to 2k in the near future. I don't play bleeding edge games so I am not bothered by RT and top of the line FPS.
Yeah it'll do for this. Still look for an RTX 3060 if price is close enough.

Lastly, I will be keeping my Corsair CS450M SMPS and I hope it'll be able to drive the system without any hiccup. (5600+6650 should be ~250w at load?)
I used to have a PowerColor Fighter 6600XT. It was a very frugal card. Reported power draw in HWiNFO never crossed 130W. Higher clocked versions or 6650XT might draw 15-20W more.

Oh and how much should I expect to sell my 3200G (no warranty) for?
I'm guessing under 5k.

Last edited:
Good choice. Get whichever you can find for cheaper. 5700X is good if you can fit within your budget else no worries.
I am still skeptical on the processor, 5600 @11k or spend 5-6k more on 5700X. The platform is pretty much dead and this might be a transient upgrade so I am not sure how high I should go in terms of upgrade. Moreover, if I had to do a comprehensive upgrade I'll have to change the MB too and will entail changing the whole setup.

Plus, I don't want to get stuck with a processor with no MB, like I did with my Llano A8 3850 which eventually I had to throw out as trash due to non availability of MB.

Is Amazon a nice place to buy components? I had ordered smaller stuff but nothing major. Off lately, I had been hearing scams coming out of amazon. Will wait for some sale to prop up before buying, prices on other sites like PrimeABGB are considerably lower.

Skip the G version unless you really need the iGPU for redundancy. It does not support PCIe 4.0 and has only half the cache of the regular one.

Cache has a significant impact on gaming performance and 6600/6650XT supports only 8 lanes of PCIe. So if you are limited to 3.0, then you lose a bit of performance there as well.
PCie 4 isn't in consideration since the MB only has 3.0 and since Mb upgrade is out of question, mulling over generational upgrades for knick-knack is not the moot point. L3 cache, however, is a big point on which I don't intend to skimp. Moreover, 6600XT/*50XT are bandwidth limited thus the difference is petite, it won't even use the X16 bandwidth at 3.0 let alone 4.0.
I saw some videos on performance gains from 3 -> 4 but on a mid/lower end cards the bumps were insignificant.

Post a WTB thread here. I think there were a couple of members reselling GPUs some time ago.
I read a thread here that some guy was selling second hand card but since he was selling on FB I am not sure how to reach. Having an input from users who had prior experience in second hand card specially RMA'd one will be reassuring.

This - https://techenclave.com/threads/nee...hich-gpu-is-best-for-my-specific-need.218665/

I'll start a WTB thread as well.

Yeah it'll do for this. Still look for an RTX 3060 if price is close enough.

I used to have a PowerColor Fighter 6600XT. It was a very frugal card. Reported power draw in HWiNFO never crossed 130W. Higher clocked versions or 6650XT might draw 15-20W more.\
IIINM, that was the GPU power and not the total board power. Its only after RDNA3 the s.w reports the total board power but I am not too certain on this.

I'm guessing under 5k.

Thanks. Will put in on sale soon.

Thanks again for the inputs.

Last edited:
Buy a used 3600 for around 5k & used card like 3060. 3200G resell value shouldn't be more than 3-4k. Get a decent 550w psu too for around 3-4k.

I am still skeptical on the processor, 5600 @11k or spend 5-6k more on 5700X. The platform is pretty much dead and this might be a transient upgrade so I am not sure how high I should go in terms of upgrade. Moreover, if I had to do a comprehensive upgrade I'll have to change the MB too and will entail changing the whole setup.
I don't think anything more than a 5600 is necessary (Especially if you upgrade to QHD). I think it's better to get a nicer GPU/Monitor or save money for a platform upgrade down the line.

You will see a massive jump going from 3200G to 5600. Even 3600 to 5600 is a large upgrade.

5600 to 5700X will be minor though.

Is Amazon a nice place to buy components? I had ordered smaller stuff but nothing major. Off lately, I had been hearing scams coming out of amazon. Will wait for some sale to prop up before buying, prices on other sites like PrimeABGB are considerably lower.
I personally prefer sites like PrimeABGB. Amazon/Flipkart is usually priced higher and with the return/replacement policies getting more stringent, it doesn't make sense to buy from them anymore. Not to mention the scam where they somehow swap the processor in the box without breaking the seal.

PCie 4 isn't in consideration since the MB only has 3.0 and since Mb upgrade is out of question, mulling over generational upgrades for knick-knack is not the moot point.
Oops my bad, yes then Gen4 is not a consideration.

L3 cache, however, is a big point on which I don't intend to skimp.
IIRC the cache diff yield 10-15% improvement. Also, useful for getting better 0.1% and 1% lows which affect the perceived smoothness.

Moreover, 6600XT/*50XT are bandwidth limited thus the difference is petite, it won't even use the X16 bandwidth at 3.0 let alone 4.0.
AMD did some cost cutting on the 6600XT by limiting it to x8.

I saw some videos on performance gains from 3 -> 4 but on a mid/lower end cards the bumps were insignificant.
About 5 percent for 6600XT and that too game dependent. But yes, I agree that without the cache advantage, it's not a factor worth considering.

INM, that was the GPU power and not the total board power. Its only after RDNA3 the s.w reports the total board power but I am not too certain on this.
Yes, it should be only core power. Won't include efficiency losses or VRAM. However even if we consider total system power draw at the wall, it is one of the most efficient cards around. I think GN has some efficiency benchmarks regarding this (If you are interested).

Last edited:
Back