Treo 650 vs <Insert name here>

vinitwins

Disciple
Your recommendations for a mobile/smartphone? Requirements:

a. GOOD internet browsing - at the very least it should match 6681 + opera OR *wishful thinking* a mid-range PDA

b. decent mp3 support - stereo jack would be godsend

c. expandable memory - format doesn't matter IF a 1-2GB memory card is available

d. good software catalog that's easily available - java / native OS (symbian/whatever). If the device comes with an excellent email software, cross platform IM client and a decent multimedia player then this requirement is unnecessary

e. connectivity - edge for browsing/email, BT or IR (makes loading of new software easier)

The TREO 650 seems to be the only one that can replace my current zire72 + nokia 6681 + ipod nano 'carry everywhere' bundle

Is there any other device I should consider...?

I use an Imate Jasjar(also known as HTC Universal or O2 XDA Exec) and it satisfies all those characteristics plus is 3G, has BT, WIFI, IR, has a bigger screen, smaller form factor and doesn't have an antenna sticking out of it :p.

Chaos said:
I use an Imate Jasjar(also known as HTC Universal or O2 XDA Exec) and it satisfies all those characteristics plus is 3G, has BT, WIFI, IR, has a bigger screen, smaller form factor and doesn't have an antenna sticking out of it :p.

A friend has that and he hates it -- it's not the most ergonomic device ever invented. And it is cumbersome to make quick one handed phone calls, at least it appeared that way.

What i like about the Treo is that it behaves more like a phone that *can* match a top-end PDA, but doesn't push all its geekiness in your face. Also I prefer the Palm OS to Windows Mobile because of its simplistic UI... even though the current software situation (multimedia apps, games, wow-factor utilities) leans in favour of Microsoft's baby.

What stops me from going out and buying the bloody thing tomorrow is knowing that I still can't STREAM movies (using WiFi) to any mobile device I own (PSP, Zire72). My notebook gets too hot for my lap during extended movie watching sessions and being an insomniac a handheld movie player would be a godsend. That's one thing I think is possible with Windows Mobile powered devices... right?

I use a ipaq 6315 (which was originally trashed due to buggy firmware, but the updated FW takes care of most issues)

It has a slower processor compared to the Treo 650 but for the slower processor was an informed choice as it works wonder for the battery life....

also, it has all three layers of connectivity...GSM, 802.11 and BT and also IR

the phone works more than well for MP3s (uses a standard stereo jack), gives a very decent browsing experience on Netfront, works OK for watching Divx encoded movies , and does a good job at navigation coupled with a BT GPS receiver ....

+ there is a tiny pluggable keyboard that came included that makes handling IM chats and mails easier than the stylus

I have plugged ina 2GB card into it and I am pretty happy with it given the price that I paid for it...

Did a little reading (always helps) and I've 'narrowed' it down to:

A. XDA IIi/Atom vs Treo 700w vs HP iPaq hw6900 vs HP iPaq rw6828

B. Dell Axim x51v vs Nokia 770 ++ Motorola SLVR L7

Any (A) category device will suffice 99% of my requirements and (B) category combos will evn enable watching movies over WiFi in bed (but require an addon low-cost BT phone for telephony needs)

Any comments?

Opted for the O2 XDA IIi - 30k.

For its price, it's a steal:

• 3.5inch display!
  • Xscale PXA272 520Mhz CPU
  • Windows Mobile 2003 SE
  • 128MB RAM + 128MB ROM
  • SD/MMC card
  • WiFi/BT/IR/GPRS
  • 1.3MP Camera

Runs Skype without any issues, can playback full resolution (6xx * 3xx) XVID/DIVXs from my local network over WiFi without any stuttering, and Netfront browser is pretty good at rendering complex web pages.

Yes, the XDA Atom is more feature packed, but has a piddly 2.7inch screen and a 416Mhz CPU; the XDA IIs has an inbuilt keyboard, but houses a tardy PXA263 400Mhz CPU.

Other worthy contenders are the 'not-available-in-india' Eten M600 (Atom clone, but sports a robust Samsung 400mhz cpu), the 'will-it-ever-be-released' HP branded Atom i.e. rw6828 (hopefully with an updated ROM to solve the Atom's innumerable 1st gen quirks) and the 'please-finalise-the-specs' HTC Hermes (An updated version of the HTC Wizard aka i-mate KJAM/XDA Mini S with a [slightly] faster CPU)

Back