TATA Indicom stops landline broadband - Wireless broadband only in NCR now

DCEite

Adept
Got a call from TATA broadband that they have discontinued Landline broadband in whole of NCR, and from now on only wireless connection will be provided.
The tariffs will be same as existed (750 for 256kbps plan). When i asked what is the wireless technology they are using, they replied that an Antenna will be put on terrace or balcony, from where a wire will connect to the PC. This is very similar to DTH setup, only thing that if you move from one place to another, there will be no extra charges levied.

Can anyone throw more light on this kind of wireless internet? :huh: :huh:

They use Wimax. I have it here in blore. One needs to reboot the wimax adapter once in a while as it hangs. Other than that its fine.

DCEite said:

That is because you are looking at the wrong technology.

Wifi and Wimax are very different. the solution which you have been offered is Wimax. Wimax is for large areas while Wifi is for smaller areas like for example, a single building

sTALKEr said:
That is because you are looking at the wrong technology.

Wifi and Wimax are very different. the solution which you have been offered is Wimax. Wimax is for large areas while Wifi is for smaller areas like for example, a single building

Oh! Thanks for pointing that out.

:)

@Chaos, how frequently does it keep disconnecting? What if i keep a nightly download going, will it disconnect in between?

And do they offer the speeds they promise? eg. For 256kbps, will i get exact 256 upload and 256 download?

Thanks in advance

Dont opt for it. Its so damn stupid :mad:

You have a Weblogin so everytime light goes you will have to manually connect and besides on torrents your speed will be down as you wont be able to connect to Remote Peers. :mad:

mine wimax connection gets disconnected after every 11 hours then i again need to logout and reconnect :( have a 512 unlimited connection speed i get is around 40KBps dropping to 25~30 KBps sometimes :(

rishabh.asthana said:
mine wimax connection gets disconnected after every 11 hours then i again need to logout and reconnect :( have a 512 unlimited connection speed i get is around 40KBps dropping to 25~30 KBps sometimes :(

How is the connection other than the 11 hour cut. Does it get disconnected intermittently? Is it reliable, say if you want to connect to office VPN and work ?

Hey
my two cents on the subject, I had also applied for a Wimax connection in Gurgaon, it took them 4 week to install it, as at the first attempt they lost my form and cheque. Then after the installation guy installs that connection (which took him 3 hours) and is about to configure my user Id and static IP he gets a call from the tatabroad band call center stating that my location is not feasible and that i am too far away from the tower, mind you this is after spending 3 hours for the setup and the countless number of phone call.

What I don't understand is that is was getting a proper signal of 24 the max is 30 and the internet was working fine no latency or connection fluctuation.

Sorry for Hijacking you thread DCEite, but just an Fyi for you

I would also like to know about WiMax.. Although I did called the exectuive at my house and he told me to buy for 4 months and get 1 month free etc etc.

What important to me is the latency? is it same as ADSL? will the onliine gaming like CS be affected ?

The same is being done in my area in east Delhi. The wired TATA connection is down since past 10 days; local Tata provider is saying that it will be replaced by Wireless connection at the earliest(?). He is saying that same speeds and plans will continue.

Back