"%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0-k" Question

AlbertPacino

Skilled
Feb 6, 2005
Earlier today my pc suddenly slowed down 10 min's later he shut down & restarted again,the same happened every time he got restarted he will stay up for about 2 min's and then shuts down,i checked the PC case if cables/PSU was ok,everything was ok,i switched him on and went and checked msconfig well there i found "dumprep 0 -k" which you can find in the attachment,after unchecking it everything went smooth and so far he is working with no problem at all bear in mind this all happened after installing RegSupreme Pro. and running it to clean the registry.
Googled it and her is what i cam ip with:
"Used in connection with memory dumps - you can disable these by - right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None'"

Well i changed it to "None" further search on google didn't answer my question is if this will cause any instability in the system which may cause to crashes etc. etc.

I found some articles on google about people asking if this has anything to do with the ram.

Your feedback is needed,Thanks alot in advance :)

deejay

Skilled
Feb 9, 2005
Hi ,

since i am not a software guy i will try to explain the situation as i believe could have happened on your m/c.

Windows XP will create a memory dump error whenever there is a severe system failure.

the below explains the three formats of the dump file.
"Specifies what type of information Windows should write to the specified dump file.

Small Memory Dump records the smallest set of useful information that will help identify why the system stopped unexpectedly. This option requires a paging file of at least 2 MB on the boot volume of your computer and specifies that Windows will create a new file each time the system stops unexpectedly. A history of these files is stored in the directory listed under Small Dump Directory.
Kernel Memory Dump records only kernel memory, which speeds up the process of recording information in a log when the system stops unexpectedly. Depending on the amount of RAM in your computer, you must have from 50 MB to 800 MB available for the paging file on the boot volume.

Complete Memory Dump records the entire contents of system memory when the system stops unexpectedly. If you choose this option you must have a paging file on the boot volume large enough to hold all of the physical RAM plus one megabyte (MB).
You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to set recovery options."
evidently in your case there was a severe error (software or hardware).
the m/c rebooted because you may have had the "Automatically Reboot" options selected. this option is just above where you selected "NONE" for the dump file as you have mentioned above.
*NB: This presence of this dump file often makes XP prompt you upon next reboot about reporting this error to microsoft. it gives a popup upon reboot and mentions something to this effect " windows had encountered a severe error. ........blah blah blah .... would you like to send the details to microsoft ....blah blah blah.
so most probably that reg cleaning program must have corrupted some registry entries. which led to this severe error.
you can try to delete this program and restore your m/c to an earlier state. if the problem does not occur again then you know the culprit.

however if the problem reccurs in future then i suggest you run "windows memory diagnostic program" issued by microsoft.

and for further peace of mind you can run memtest86 program to completely test the ram subsystem of your m/c.