Suggestions on buying a Linux based desktop

abhirama

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
25k (30k max)

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - Sandy bridge core i7
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
4 GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD.
Decent cabinet + Power supply

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Final

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Bangalore

Open to online purchase
Yes. Best place to buy online would be?

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Work. Will run only Linux.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Desktop - 1920x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Linux - Debian/Ubuntu

Thanks in advance,
Abhirama.

How much difference would there be between an i7 (4 cores, 8 threads) and an i5 (4 cores, 4 threads) for normal usage? Plus, I can afford to spend a little extra money :p

And yeah, I have a monitor, speakers etc. I plan to use the same keyboard, mouse, etc. using Synergy (Welcome - Synergy) for both the desktops.

Honestly. i5 2400 is plenty powerful for your needs. Since LGA1155 is compatible with Ivy Bridge i would suggest save the ~5.8k by going for i5 2400 instead of i7 2600 and upgrade in a 1-1.5 years if you feel the need for more power (I doubt you will feel the need though :p)

Thanks for the replies, all.

DarkAngel said:
Honestly. i5 2400 is plenty powerful for your needs. Since LGA1155 is compatible with Ivy Bridge i would suggest save the ~5.8k by going for i5 2400 instead of i7 2600 and upgrade in a 1-1.5 years if you feel the need for more power (I doubt you will feel the need though :p)

makes sense. Will probably get the i5 then. What motherboard, RAM and PSU should I get? Any H67 chipset motherboard should do is what I'm thinking. Any specific features I need to look out for? RAM - 2x2 GB better than 1 x 4GB and brand? I want to buy a cabinet + PSU combo. Most VFM and economical there would be? I have a Zebronics Bijli and it didn't give me any problems in the last 3 years of usage but I want to get something better this time.

Processor Intel Core i5 2400 9300
Motherboard Intel DH67BL (B3) / Asus P8H67 M Pro 5100 / 7500
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB 2600
GPU Ondie HD2000
HDD Seagate 7200.12 1TB 2700
Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2100
PSU Corsair CX400 2600
Total 24400 / 26800

Back