Suggestions for Medium end Gaming rig

siddhantvyas

Disciple
Questions

1.Q: What is your budget?

a. 45-50K

2.Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

its a very old PC so anything worth mentionable is Hard disk--1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA(bought it 3 months back)

3.Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

hard disk--1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA

4.Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

a. PROCESSOR – AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE/1100T BE
GPU- XFX radeon HD 6870/6950
RAM – CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
MOTHERBOARD – ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA
HARD DISK DRIVE – 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA
CABINET – Cooler Master HAF 912 advanced/Cooler Master HAF 922
POWER SUPPLY UNIT – Cooler Master eXtreme Power 650W
DVD DRIVE – L.G/SAMSUNG OEM SATA DVD WRITER

5.Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

a. Yes, will upgrade the following within 3 weeks
6.Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

a. Delhi/online

7.Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

a. No

8.Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

a.Gaming
b.3d max/maya rendering,modelling
c.Downloading, 24x7 operation
d.photoshop/after effects.

9.Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

a. No

10.Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

All kinds

11.Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

whichever suits best for the game

12.Q: Are you looking to overclock?

a. possibly in future but no not now

13.Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

a.Windows 7

Please suggest whether i have chosen the right config or not!
thanks in advance.

Intel Core i5 2500 ~ 10000/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500
ASUS P8H67-M ~ 7500/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!ASUS P8H67-M B3 Revision LGA 1155 Intel H67 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
SeaSonic S12II 620W OR Corsair HX620W ~ 5000/- OR 6500/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply OR TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!CORSAIR 620W ATX12V v2.2 SLI / CrossFire 80 PLUS Modular SMPS
G.Skill TRIDENT 1600 MHz CL-8 ~ 3000/- G-SKILL[ Trident ] PC3-12800 / DDR3 1600 Mhz/cl-8-8-8-24 (2Gx2)
NZXT Tempest EVO ~ 6000/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!NZXT TEMPEST Enthusiast Steel Mid-Tower - TheITWares
AMD HD 6950 2GB ~ 15500/- (play around with settings hit jackpot and get a free HD 6970) TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
DVD Drive ~ 1000/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!LG 24X Sata Internal DVD Writer - GH24
Dell ST2220L ~ 8500/-

1)AMD gets blown out of the water in gaming by the Intel Sandy-Bridge line-up.
2)Make up your mind on over-clocking, if you want too, then wait till Z68 boards come in the market and by a Core i5 2500K will be amazing to clock. Add a decent after market HSF too, something like Cooler Master Hyper 212+ TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler - TheITWares
3)Cooler Master eXtreme Power Pro are pure crap, better go for a more efficient PSU from Corsair OR SeaSonic.

AMD HD 6950 2GB can be unlocked to HD 6970~ http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159
Hope this helps.

@Alpha17 awesome configaration.

@OP Just follow the above config but you must extend your budget a little more Rs55,500.

The mother supports MAX 1333MHz so change the ram get

TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1333C9 - TheITWares

you can save money on motherboard go for gigabit or msi h67

i am new so wait for others recommendations:D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

If you are more into gaming go for these monitors

ASUS VH236H Rs. 9070

Samsung P2350 10800

Acer H235H 8,600

@Alpha17...gr8 recommendation!!! awesome config must say!!! will surely consider it!!

@sasikanth thanks i ll see to it(the budget)

by the way guys i m a animation student so my main focus is rendering media,3d modelling,texturing and stuff like that and gaming is second preference.

And meanwhile my trainer(animation) gave these config to me today he said it ll be cheaper and effective one with all the rendering work and gaming!

so let me know your views on that

he suggested:

AMD 1090T processor(black edition)

with motherboard ASUS M4A89TD-Pro/USB 3.0(guy metioned its will support bulldozer!!will it???)

XFX Radeon HD 6870

corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600

Cooler Master GX 650W

CAbinet---NZXT Guardian 921 RB

DVD RW-samsung or LG

the guy gave a lot of stress on buying an XFX card!!!....wondering whats special with an XFX card!!!

Intel Core i5 2500 ~ 10000/-
MSI H67MA-E35 ~ 5000/-
Corsair 4GB DDRIII 1333MHz Value Ram 1 stick ~ 2100/-
AMD HD 6950 2GB ~ 15500/-
Corsair VX550W ~ 4600/-
LG 22X SATA DVD ~ 900/-
BenQ G2220HD ~ 7400/-
NZXT Tempest EVO - 5700/-

Total ~ 51,200/-

siddhantvyas said:
@Alpha17...gr8 recommendation!!! awesome config must say!!! will surely consider it!!

@sasikanth thanks i ll see to it(the budget)

by the way guys i m a animation student so my main focus is rendering media,3d modelling,texturing and stuff like that and gaming is second preference.

And meanwhile my trainer(animation) gave these config to me today he said it ll be cheaper and effective one with all the rendering work and gaming!

so let me know your views on that

he suggested:

AMD 1090T processor(black edition)

with motherboard ASUS M4A89TD-Pro/USB 3.0(guy metioned its will support bulldozer!!will it???)

XFX Radeon HD 6870

corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600

Cooler Master GX 650W

CAbinet---NZXT Guardian 921 RB

DVD RW-samsung or LG

the guy gave a lot of stress on buying an XFX card!!!....wondering whats special with an XFX card!!!
The Intel (Sandy-Bridge) Core i series, while a little pricier than the AMD line-up offer substantial gains per-clock, per-core (Hyper-Threading) and that is why I'm recommending you Intel -- Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News.

Sapphire is a better company to buy an AMD / ATi (ATi has been bought over by AMD 2 years back) card -- AMD HD 6950 2GB reference cards can be unlocked to a HD 6970 2GB card (its a bit like buying a GTX 560 and after prodding it a bit voila... you get a GTX 570 performing) ~ for 15500/- a steal of a deal.

The Cooler Master GX 650W is a crap of a power-supply, better go for the Corsair HX 620W ~ 6500/-

For cabinet, the NZXT Tempest EVO (has more fans and dustfilters + more value to buy this cabinet) ~ 6500/- NZXT Tempest EVO Review - Page 1/6 | techPowerUp / NZXT Guardian 921 Review - Overclockers Club

Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz is a fine kit you can buy it. G.Skill is my preference, looks cooler and better heat-sink as well the TRIDENT is in the leagues of RAM-kits like Dominator.

ASUS M4A89TD-Pro/USB 3 as far as I know has no support for BullDozer, currently as well as ASUS and XFX warranty is crap compared to Gigabyte and MSI warranty.

Where are you buying this system from? I'm also a animation student.

@Alpha17 will surely see and compare prices and then decide which one to bye thnks a lot for this damn good config!!

its just the only thing AMD stars is the prices compared to intel but will still look into it and try to tweak my budget a little plus!!! and

just checked out that ASUS P8H67-M doesnt have USB 3.0!! while M4A89TD-Pro offers USB 3.0!! so i m kinda confused rite now!

by the way while doing some R&D i find this saying ASUS M4A89TD-Pro supporting bulldozer!!!

ASUS AM3 Motherboards Get BIOS Updates, Support AM3+ and Bulldozers

and i m planing to buy this system most probably from Delhi!!

I'm not sure about this news, about the M4A89TD PRO/USB 3.0 support for the AM3+ socket. Anyways the board has not come out yet in the market, so you'll have to wait, plus the performance might take a hit vs. 990FX based boards. And it seems pretty useless to me to first buy a RIG then change the processor. If you want to wait before buying RIG, you'll comfortably have to wait till around mid-July, till then most probable --

a) the first batch of Zambezi and the FX-series processors should hit Indian shores from AMD,

b) Intel would've launched the Z68 series chipset for the Sandy-Bridge.

Go for this motherboard -- ASUS P8H67-M EVO ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8H67-M EVO, supports everything (SATA III and USB 3.0) ~ 9500/-.

AMD might win if your budget was like sub-40K, but right now in your budget Sandy-Bridge wins all.

So its your choice to make wait or buy.

Wait for some days... Gigabyte has released some new budget P67 boards... And one of the budget board is selling for 109$... Yes you heard it right... And it's name is GA-P67A-D3... It's a full ATX motherboard with features like USB3 and Sata3... IMO its soon gonna hit Indian shores and would sell here for 6 to 6.5k... Pair it with a i5 2500k processor and you would be having a beast of a rig... :)

Computer PR0 / USB 3.0 interface haven't necessary, AMD always compared to Microsoft's CPU when play games better, under the same price support

:>

@hades thanks a lot for the info!.

ok then i ll wait for it... hope they will hit indian shores soon!!

by the way is memory an important component(size wise) in GPU i mean whats the main difference between a 1GB GPU and a 2GB GPU??!!

siddhantvyas said:
@hades thanks a lot for the info!.

ok then i ll wait for it... hope they will hit indian shores soon!!

by the way is memory an important component(size wise) in GPU i mean whats the main difference between a 1GB GPU and a 2GB GPU??!!

1GB memory is more than enough for gaming @ HD resolution... the amount of memory only starts mattering if you would game @ above HD resolution... If you would check HD6950 1GB vs HD6950 2GB review you would find that the performance difference is not huge... you would only get to see 0.5 to 1FPS difference... Alpha17 has suggested 2GB HD6950 as reference HD6950 2GB cards are unlockable into HD6970... :)

siddhantvyas said:
You don't compare GPU's in terms of memory sizes. The memory on a graphics card is used to hold the textures and for the frames that are being rendered. For example games like GTA 4 have a lot of textures and the amount of textures varies with the quality settings you are running at, at the maximum values, this game may require more than 1GB of memory just for the textures. Similarly the rendered frames themselves require memory and as you go higher on the resolution, more memory is needed.

The point to be noted is that how much Memory a GPU can use in an efficient manner depends a lot on the power of the GPU itself. For instance I said that GTA 4 can require upto 1GB of memory. A GPU like the 6950 is capable of handling all those textures and render high quality frames using those textures. In contrast a low end GPU like the 8500GT may not have enough power to handle so many textures. So even if the card has 1GB memory, it would just be a waste. So you cannot arbitrarily compare two GPU's based on the memory on the card. If you have a high end GPU with 1GB memory and a low end one with 2GB, the high end GPU would still be the winner.

That aside GPU's like 6950 can be coupled with either 1 or 2GB of RAM. The 6950 is capable of fully utilizing 2GB RAM, but the advantage of that extra RAM only comes when your textures + frames goes above 1GB. This can happen either because the game has a lot of textures, or because you are playing at very high resolutions (1080p+). If the usage is less than that, you won't see any difference between 1GB and 2GB.

At the present moment there aren't any games that go above 1GB Limit. As a matter of fact none of the linear shooters, racing games etc are going to go above that limit any time soon in the near future. If you intend to play only such games, a card with 1GB is more than enough. On the other hand open world adventure/RPG games do have a lot of textures and its quite possible that forth coming titles can hit above the 1GB level. To add further games like these often get first party or third party high res texture packs. For instance a game like Oblivion which was released way back had such many texture packs to improve the graphics of the game that it quite often used to choke even the high end GPUS of many generations later.

Back