Suggestions for a mid-end non-gaming PC upgrade

india_rulz

Disciple
1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 20K

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Not relevant, am selling off the older components keeping only a few components.

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. Monitor - Viewsonic 22''

2. HDD ~2TB + Growing :eek:hyeah:

3. DVD Writer

4. Microsoft Intellipoint Pro wireless keyboard and mouse

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. AMD PhenomII X4 955BE

2. Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H

3. Corsair 2*2GB DDRIII 1333MHz

4. Elite 410

5. Corsair VX 400

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. NO, am a very reluctant upgrader, hence would like to have a little buffer for the needs I have at the moment

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Bangalore

2. Maybe if it's a good deal

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Browsing

2. Watching HD movies

3. 24x7 operation

4. Normal desktop use

5. NO gaming, Hence am not looking at a separate GPU

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1.Hesitant towards i3's, i5's as I feel, it may overshoot the budget and also I don't need that amount of processing power. If you think otherwise, please suggest (I have an open mind)

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

NO Gaming, am more of a console gamer.

11. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. No

12. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 64 bit

Am a very hesitant upgrader, I still have a P4 3GHZ machine with 2GB RAM (haven't upgraded since 3 years or so). Since am upgrading now, want to be slightly ahead of what my needs are right now, so that it is sustainable for sometime.

Data(HDD) is paramount to me and it should be less noisy as well, so extra comments on the cabinet and fans and such...would help

Okay, since you wont need the processing power as you say, you've chosen a perfectly balanced rig. If you wait out 2 weeks, the Phenom II X4 840 received a price cut from 117$ to 9$, so that should reflect soon.

And for your budget, the PSU will be an overshoot really, you can save like 1k there.

And another thing, do look at the "e" series energy efficient processors, since 24x7 is in your list, I figure it will be a good idea, and will probably save bills over the long run(since you dont upgrade for years)

^

Exactly my thought regarding power saving and saving on psu. Corsair CX 400 should be sufficient for you need, even Giga 460 watt/Fsp Saga 400 watt can do the job.

Thanks for the suggestion,initially even I felt the same, but with all the hoopla around PSU in Techenclave, I was drawn towards Corsair VX 450.

I will go for Corsair CX 400.

Any comments about the cabinet and the choice of processor and motherboard?

^^ NZXT Gamma is great cabby. And the mobo is good, 880G gigabyte ones are low power consumption thanks to good power circuitry

^ As i was through the specs, I found that AMD PhenomII X4 840 doesn't have L3 cache whereas AMD PhenomII X4 955 BE has L3, what do you guys think? Should I go for 955?

^^ it's worth it, but seriously, consider the Phenom II X4 905e, it's a 2.5GHz 65W processor, for 99$

Since you're doing 24x7, this is worthy consideration.

And as you said, even X4 840 is an overkill for you, no point spending another 1.5k on X4 955.

Bumping my old thread, Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H isn't available in Bangalore and even online (checked ITWARES). Is it really worth the pain to hunt for UD3H?? How does UD3H stack up against GA 880 USB3H?? Or even Asus M4A88T? Please suggest a good mother board for the above rig.

Also, Corsair CX400 is out of stock/ NA through out in Bangalore, they only have CX430. However, I did find it online in Itwares. I want to know, if it is really worth getting CX400 online or can I go for CX430? (I know CX 400 has 8- plus certification, while CX430 doesn't...) How much of an importance can be given to that fact?

No gaming and for normal desktop use it doesnt make sense to go with the PhenomII X4 955BE which guzzles power when compared to Athlons.

My suggestion is,

Core i3 2100 ~ 5.6k (The Intel HD2000 IGP is excellent for HD movies and is more powerful than the HD4250 of the AMD 880G)

MSI H67MA-E35 ~ 4.7k

4GB Corsair single stick DDR3 1333MHz ~ 1.9k

Corsair CX400 ~ 2.5k (Much better than CX430 which has higher rate of failure IINM. Also the CX400 has 6 SATA power plugs natively) Try getting it shipped for ~2.6k. Worth it IMHO.

NZXT Gamma ~ 2.2k or CM Elite 430 ~ 2.6k

Total: ~17.4k and it well within your budget :)

Else wait up a bit and go for the Llano's that would hit the markets in July.

You will get AthlonII X4 quad like CPU + HD 6530 GPU for just $110 :D (5.5k-6k)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-corner/amd-fusion-discussion-thread-181930-3.html#post1753186

A6-3450

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BsQhK.png

^^ Go to Golccha computers @S.P. Road and get the rig that DarkAngel has suggested.

NZXT Gamma ~ 2300/- @Golccha computers, it is a must, it demolishes the Cooler Master eLite line-up completely in the airflow and cable-management department. NZXT Gamma « XSReviews add two Cooler Master R4 Sickleflows (blue LED) should set you back by approximately by ~ 700/- and total damages = 2900/- a better buy over Cooler Master eLite 430 ~ 2700/-.

Corsair CX 400 ~ 2500/- @Golccha computers.

Other option is hold onto the upgrade for just yet and let Llano come out and then make up your mind between Intel Sandy-Bridge and AMD BullDozer's.

Back