[Suggestion Needed] Reving up New 7200.12

MaRKiV

Adept
I got a new 7200.12 500GB HDD yesterday. :D

Now i want to rev it up and use it for as my primary Disk.

The current Scenario.

1. I hv 7200.9 160GB HDD which has Win XP installed in it
2. I hv a Samsung 40GB HDD which has Win7 and Ubuntu Linux installed

What i want to do
I want to move all my OS into the 7200.12 HDD (I guess 7200.12 is best for OSs isn't it?)

My Questions :ashamed:
1. What is the best way to do it?
2. I don't want to reinstall my Win XP unless on extreme situations.. Win 7 & Ubuntu are OK for reinstall.
3. Is it OK to hv 3 OS in the same HDD? or shall I move Ubuntu or Win 7 to another HDD (160GB or 40GBHDD). Or is there a thumb rule for installing the OS?

Calling all TE gurus for Help.. :eek:hyeah:

:cool2:

In this matter first you have to check the partition space of c drive on 160 drive, then u can use some software for cloning your 160 to 500 GB one. then afterwards rest space u can create easily. I think in this way you can your xp. and its better to reinstall remaining os.

Rather than its my suggestion to always is reinstall OS whenever there are main hardware changes like HDD.

I was thinking of Norton Ghost to clone the disk, is it worth it?.

I want to know when i clone my XP from 160GB to 500GB can i clone only my C drive? Or do i need to clone my entire 160GB data into 500GB? (which i dont want actually :lol:) becoz rest 140GB is jus data files.. it may remain in my 160GB HDD.

My C drive is 19.5GB small :D

^... You can only clone the C:\ partition files... With Acronis it only copies data irrespective of partition size of C:\ so even if your partition size is larger on new HDD, you can safely clone your OS. Same goes with GHOST as well...

^^ As suggested, could clone just a c partition. ghost doesn't seem to like grub and as you got ubuntu installed acronis seems to be a better option. You might need to fix mbr by booting with xp cd, once cloning a partition is over in case grub creates problems.

Thanks for the inputs... i wanted to know if there will be any noticable performance improvement by moving my Win XP from 7200.9 to 7200.12

I thinking of keeping it in my existing HDD and install Win 7 and Ubuntu in the new HDD

Wat do u guys suggest.

I use Win XP as my primary OS and use my system for Browsing, Playing pre 2007 games and ofcourse to watch movies n listen to music...

what would be the best stratergy here?

HailStonE said:
^ Boot up time would decrease since its a new gen HDD with much higher throughput than earlier 7200.9 series HDD...

Thanks for the reply! and one more thing is it safe to hv 3 OS (Win XP, Win 7 and Ubuntu) in the same HDD? what is the order in which i need to install them?

Win XP first then Win 7 and at last ubuntu?

You could use products like Ghost, or tools under linux like DD if you know how to use it in order to copy the partitions from the old disks to the new ones (do all of this from a LiveCD, so no OS is active). You will probably need to then run startup repair for Windows XP, then for Windows 7, then for linux (unless you feel like getting easyBCD running under Windows 7 and fxing all the bootloader fun chaining BCD Loader (Windows Vista and Windows 7) to NTLdr (Windows XP) or whatever bootloader you use for Linux (likely GRUB or LiLo). You could give the question a go over on the official Windows 7 RC Support Forum located here Windows 7 Category . They are pretty quick to respond and are usually fairly on the ball.
Also, you are fine having your secondary OS run from another drive. Just clone your existing 160GB with XP to the 500GB drive and extend its partition to fill it. Then you could clone the 40 to the old 160, extend their partitions and leave it be. Just make sure all the bootloaders play nice. That is the one tricky point of having multiple OS. Space and bootloader issues.

Back