Strange problem with BSNL BB connection.. HELP!!

bhaskarvyas001

Disciple
Hi All,
I recently got this BSNL broadband connection at my place with 750 unlimited plan. Things were fine till now when on last sunday night I thought of setting NAT on it and doing some port forwarding kindda stuff.
I happened to successfully finish the job as Azereus showed a smiling face where the torrent download was showning and my internet was also working perfect.
But next morning when I tried connecting it didn't work.
However, the DATAONE site i.e. Dataone WebMail opened. I was also able to login in to my web mail from there but no other sites opened.
I tried every means possible (even resetting the modem) but to no use.
I checked the modem pppoe_0_35_1 diagonistics at http:\\192.168.1.1 and it reported all the tests to have passed but not this one named

PING PRIMARY DOMAIN SERVER FAIL

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP!!

Did I screw any of the settings or is the BSNL server down.
I am from sector-46 GURGAON.
People from Gurgaon please confirm if the BSNL server is down??? or help me with setting this thing right...
PLzzzzzz........
My modem is UTSTARCOM model-UT300R2U

Hey Buddy

Why Don't U Reset The Modem, From Boot Options, Check The Factory Settings Option.

And Then After It Reboots Set It Again For Pppoe Mode.

bhaskarvyas001 said:
I checked the modem pppoe_0_35_1 diagonistics at http:\\192.168.1.1 and it reported all the tests to have passed but not this one named

PING PRIMARY DOMAIN SERVER FAIL

Im assuming Primary domain server means primary domain name server.

Why dont you put the open dns servers (search google) in the dns option in windows tcp ip properties.

@rahul.cnbc : I already did that... but to no use...

@hacker : will give that a shot tonight when i go home...

Thanks to all...

CAn someone please share the Pppoe settings for DATAONE... Please...

If you are able to open your Dataone webmail but not the other sites it means that DNS is not working. I am using these DNS servers and they are working fine.
Primary DNS:- 218.248.240.79
Alternate DNS:-61.1.96.71

Set these DNS in LAN settings. Thats all. BTW what settings do you need for PPPoE.

1) Reset your router & set it in bridge mode. bsnl router have bridge mode default set

2) Use default bridge mode and a create a new dialer in the XP/Vist

3) it should connect just fine, if it does not when please tell what error are you getting.

@smash : My setting are as follows --> Primary DNS:- 218.248.240.79

Alternate DNS:-218.248.240.135

These are what the BSNL guy set and go (Was working fine with it). However I will try with your Alternate DNS when I go home today.

Regarding ppoe I read on the BSNL site that the CPEs should be set in ppoe mode with correct username and password in order to avoid 676/691 errors.

Further I read that in modem settings under advanced->WAN some v0/32 should be set in ppoe mode for ppoe mode and v0/35 to be set in bridge mode for bridge. Now what are these. However v0/32 and v0/35 are there under wan section in the modem but I am not able to change them. whenever i change anything and reboot the modem, the default settings are replaced.

@Gaurish : I tried resetting the modem. left the default settings intact but still to no use.

And what is this dialer thing?? I do not dial to connect. The BSNL guy set it in such a manner that when ever I switch on the modem it sud connect automatically. So no idea regarding that.

However he created some dialer with username 'bbtest' but I never dialed that. It simply lied there just like that.

Please tell me what to do.?? I really fed up..
It took one month for those guys to put the landline. Another month to give the BB connection. And at the end when i get this BB connection in within 3 ways things stop working and those guys are not helping too...

:(

This sounds more like an operational issue rather than a technical one. In all probability BSNL has accidentally or intentionally disabled your account. Used to happen to me on TataIndicom where I could only navigate to the TataIndicom homepage. Check with BSNL.

bhaskarvyas001 said:
Regarding ppoe I read on the BSNL site that the CPEs should be set in ppoe mode with correct username and password in order to avoid 676/691 errors.
Further I read that in modem settings under advanced->WAN some v0/32 should be set in ppoe mode for ppoe mode and v0/35 to be set in bridge mode for bridge. Now what are these. However v0/32 and v0/35 are there under wan section in the modem but I am not able to change them. whenever i change anything and reboot the modem, the default settings are replaced.

@Gaurish : I tried resetting the modem. left the default settings intact but still to no use.
And what is this dialer thing?? I do not dial to connect. The BSNL guy set it in such a manner that when ever I switch on the modem it sud connect automatically. So no idea regarding that.
However he created some dialer with username 'bbtest' but I never dialed that. It simply lied there just like that.

Please tell me what to do.?? I really fed up..
It took one month for those guys to put the landline. Another month to give the BB connection. And at the end when i get this BB connection in within 3 ways things stop working and those guys are not helping too...
:(

I wanted you to set your ROuter in Bridge mode so that we can actually what the error is. bridge mode is when you dial to internet.
Try setting it in Bridge mode and see.

bhaskarvyas001 said:
The most surprising thing is that if the DNS in not working then how is the DATAONE site opening??

If he is accessing the dataone site using a bookmark or something, which is having the ip as the url and not the domain name, the page will load since it is directly referring to the ip itself. :hap2:

@mathew_p_a : Even if I dont use the bookmark and write Dataone WebMail directly in the browser it is opening. :(

@Gaurish : Tried in bridge mode as well. On dialling it gives error as error 676: Phone Line Busy.

Now what does this mean. I am getting proper dialtone in the phone. It's not busy at all!!

bhaskarvyas001 said:
@mathew_p_a : Even if I dont use the bookmark and write Dataone WebMail directly in the browser it is opening. :(

@Gaurish : Tried in bridge mode as well. On dialling it gives error as error 676: Phone Line Busy.
Now what does this mean. I am getting proper dialtone in the phone. It's not busy at all!!

THis is can be a Result of Misconfiguration or there are too many users at same time on server. So to make sure if this is not your computer problem, try connecting via other machine.

BSNL BROADBAND MAIN MENU

@ALL : Thanks everyone.... I finally solved it out.... :cool2:
The reason was the wrong username and password.
Actually the BSNL guy had set my username and password in the modem config under wan ppoe which I did not know.
Today I had a long talk over phone and he explained it to me. And there was the main problem.. DUH!!! So much of pain due to such a silly thing... :bomb:

Back