'Star Wars Flu' May Strike IT Productivity

alex

Disciple
For some in the tech industry, the chance to see Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith in its opening couple of days is just not something they're willing to pass up—at any cost.

And while that early viewing may be a badge of honor for geeks around the world, the "Star Wars flu" may pull down productivity figures, analysts warned.

"There's nothing like being here for the first showing," said an IT manager for a financial brokerage firm on Wednesday, while standing in line in front of the Metreon theater complex in San Francisco.

He had called in sick in order to see the midnight showing on the DLP (digital light processing) cinema screen. After spending quite a few hours in the cold and drizzle, he added that he might not make it to his job on Thursday, as he felt a "second day" of his cold coming on.

Pointing to some attendees dressed in Star Wars costumes, the IT manager said, "Look at these guys. This is what it's all about, and you can't get that unless you're down here now. And being able to be first and see it in a digital cinema is just the coolest."

Acknowledging the trend was The Geek Squad, the new tech support operation of Best Buy Co. Inc. The Web site now offers an easy, printable form to help you explain your predicament to your employer.

Not only that, knowing that the Star Wars movie is likely to attract a large number of IT workers, the Geek Squad said it is helping small businesses in need of emergency IT replacements by auctioning the company's Geek Squad Agents on eBay. Auctions are to take place in major high-tech markets, including New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle and Boston.

The losers, ultimately, may be the employers. According to movie industry watchers, more than 9 million people will be in theaters nationwide on Thursday and Friday to see the next—and supposedly last—installment of Star Wars. Some viewers will take vacation days to stand in line to get in, and some will call in sick.

According to a report released by outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc., workers who blow off work to wait in line for tickets, catch the movie, or recuperate the day after a midnight screening will set their collective employers back at least $627 million.

from CIO INSIGHT.Com

MY GOD....ny1 here seen the 1st 2 parts......cuz me dnt like watchin it after all tht "kill the sith, we must":rofl: crap....but aftr reading this , i thnk thr must b smethng rite or ????

^^Thank U....cuz i was thnkin of sittin n watchin the 1st 2 on STAR GOLD......cuz its like crazy....i mean so many ppl r goin crazy over it....
i still thnk thr must b smethn??

guess " watch , i must" :rofl:

No Star Wars fans here??? Oh boy and this is supposed to be all tech ;)

It's not overrated... It's a saga that so many kids have grown up watching and then carry a torch for it even after 25 years. Thats not an everyday thing.

Revenge of the Sith is fabulous... although I'm not sure if you guys would appreciate it considering you are not one among the legions of fans. It has to be in your blood u know. Check it out anyway... you might like... but spend some time getting to understand the saga.

Back