Budget 10-15K [Solved] Zenfone 5 / Moto G2 / BB Z3?!

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
1. Budget?
A: 14k

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: the new crop, whatever that is.

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: BB. brother says he wants a 'branded' phone (I get his drift - 'branded' as in, show-off types; asus, moto, etc. are 'chinese-like, unbranded' stuff! :facepalm:)

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required a good camera, w/ flash.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: No preference

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and internet

10. Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim/require dual sim/etc.

11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: BB Z3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay. quickly.

my brother lost his lumia 520 a few days back; is now itching to get a new phone. I recommended him to get zenfone 5; he said its big, will get moto g2. I said 'ok'. now he called from croma, and was all excited to get BB Z3. I did a mental facepalm to myself. I asked why BB, he said he wants a 'branded' stuff. that was a double-whammy of a facepalm for me! I tried to reason with him about Motorola and asus, and told him to hold his horses, and not buy any phone at the moment, and wait till tomorrow or the day after that.

chances are that he'll buy, or he has already bought the phone, but if not, please suggest some points that I could tell him and drill some better sense in him. I have no experience with BB phones, nor does he have. he says he only needs the phone for whatsapp, facebook, texting. I know he doesn't utilize his phone well. but still, going by the specs-to-price factor of the Z3, versus other options in the same price-range (zenfone 5, moto g2, Huawei honor, etc.), I am not inclined to suggest him to go for Z3.

please suggest. thanks!

P.S. - he's also reluctant to buy from flipkart. it's not as if he's never bought anything from flipkart, but am guessing its because he wants to buy a phone right now, under the illusory-influence of salesman-talk & bling-bling of a showroom. on the top of that, he has seen only Z3 in person, none other phones. all that has/had got the better of him.
[DOUBLEPOST=1413879248][/DOUBLEPOST]alright. read a few posts from owners of BB Z3 on this forum. seems to be a good phone. anyway, I had asked my brother to stay put, and do only window-shopping today, and do actual shopping only a day or two later, even if to buy the Z3, after researching well.

Last edited:
Used a Z3 for few days and It's remarkably well built device, looks premium for the price it's offered.
Probably your friend means premium feel for branded stuff.

Words of caution: don't buy thinking that it can run android apps too, you'll be disappointed. They run slow and inconsistent. BB world has most of the necessary apps , not games though. Their fb app is poor.
Bb service in your area should be checked too.
Yes it's otherwise a very well built device with good battery, screen is of low resolution but not a deal breaker.

In short it's a bb device , does all basics right, network connectivity, call quality are very best. So is security. If you use as a phone it's best device.

thanks doc, and ashrr! brother finally purchased BB Z3. he didn't want to wait for flipkart-delivery (he would've then received the phone after a week, on his next holiday). moreover, since he was more inclined towards the Z3, i thought he better take a decision accordingly (Z3 being good too, more so for actual phone-facilities usage, which is what my brother wanted), so as the Z3 thoughts don't haunt him later. he's happy. doc's words, plus a feedback from a fellow forumer & Z3 owner(s) proved informative. i stand corrected.

Congratulation to him. I had z3 for 2 months. Basically for communication and messaging you can't go wrong with BB. And android apps run smooth on OS 10.3 which z3 will get in November.
Android apps are slow on current 10.2.1 os. But 10.3 has better runtime than current 10.2.1 throw any app it works.

Congratulation to him. I had z3 for 2 months. Basically for communication and messaging you can't go wrong with BB. And android apps run smooth on OS 10.3 which z3 will get in November.
Android apps are slow on current 10.2.1 os. But 10.3 has better runtime than current 10.2.1 throw any app it works.

thanks! i had read your post only in an old thread, whereby my view on BB changed. he's happy with the phone, esp. with the battery-backup; doesn't mind the lag or lack of android apps, as i doubt he's been using any, if at all. i would tell about OS 10.3 to him though.

Back