Should i buy MBP 2011 or wait for the next product release?

@OP
If buying in the US, then August/Sept is probably the best time. Apple starts clearing out the current years models under it's student offers.. you'll get the macbook at a $100 discount with a free printer and iPod thrown in.

@Ronnie
The US? Where to?
Your + of Bling will become a - if you plan on coming to the US. Every Tom Dick and Harry here has one :p

stalker said:
@Ronnie

The US? Where to?

Your + of Bling will become a - if you plan on coming to the US. Every Tom Dick and Harry here has one :p

Not sure yet... Either US or SG...

I dont care of bling for others :p its for me....

Please stop converting this into a flame war. Lets answer the OP's question, and get out.

@hektor

Most students(CMU students at-least) in US have Macs. They turn out cheaper, last longer (find me a PC laptop that will have a working battery/cd drive after 3 years) and perform better. Also because most people have macs, the university is also geared towards it.

You should buy it from there as it will be cheaper.

You normally dont have to worry about OSX Viruses and Malware, though bootcamp can potentially get infected, but will NOT affect the Mac partition.

The only issue is gaming, which believe me no matter what everyone says, SUCKS on a mac. Use your PS3, but I would advise against it. I am sure your going there to study, not play. Plus college parties are better.

Now about Lion. Lion launch is still some time away. There is expected to be a major preview in WWDC - June. They will announce launch dates etc here. The standard Apple policy is that if you bought your machine 2 weeks (may vary) before launch, they will upgrade you free of cost. But if not, then you will have to buy/download it.

But an upgrade copy barely costs $29. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). Rs 1500 i think everyone can afford.

Apart from that, stop speculating, cross the bridge when you get to it. Goto US, settle there, then figure out if you need a laptop.

the thinkpad x220 does not come with a low voltage cpu - it comes with a normal mobility sandy bridge based core i3/i5/i7. it lasts 23 hours on a single charge with the ultra base battery. it is just simply an amazing piece of engineering! you must be crazy if you don't consider it. Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Review

btw if you want something on the lines of the macbook air but much more powerful the thinkpad x1 is here -- atleast the review is - Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Review

I am afraid I am going to ask for some evidence for the myth that Apple laptops last longer. In my experience, this is simply not true. I am also going to offer counter evidence that this is yet another myth: ASUS best, HP worst for notebook reliability | Electronista.

Yes, much better than HP or Acer, but not near Asus or Toshiba. And this is a 3 year projection we are talking about. Also, check out the Laptop section in this forum - plenty of problems reported for Apple laptops and constant complaints of bad Apple Care in India. If you think about it - the Macbooks are made of the same components of any laptop. By focussing on style, they do away with proper cooling and exhausts and hence, they are always overheating on full load. But logic, that should kill the laptop faster. The only justification is that if anyone is interested in high performance work, they would never buy a Macbook in the first place, hence contributing to an illusion of reliability. Please note that this is not a flame war, I am just arguing with some facts and evidence.

But, yes, very good point about the student base going for Macs - it is certainly true in the US - and if you are really are excited for a Macbook, go ahead and get it!

^^

Who told you about improper exhausts and cooling mechanism of MBPs?

I work for an organization where everyone needs to travel a lot,and that too in remote villages of Bihar,UP and north eastern states and we are given only three to four types of laptops

1.Thinkpad Ts

2.MBPs,

3.Lattitudes

4.Some seniors still have their >3yrs old toughbooks.

And trust me buddy,we work in extreme conditions!!

red dragon said:
^^

Who told you about improper exhausts and cooling mechanism of MBPs?

Try googling "Macbook overheating"! Those things are just not designed for high load work. Apple laptops overheating is a well known phenomenon by now.

For things like browsing or office work, it is good enough, no doubt.
You can just look at the laptop - let me know if you find an exhaust.

You are most welcome! Great to know you have made up your mind, and yes, you will surely get a nice student discount.

Sub said:
Try googling "Macbook overheating"! Those things are just not designed for high load work. Apple laptops overheating is a well known phenomenon by now.

For things like browsing or office work, it is good enough, no doubt.
You can just look at the laptop - let me know if you find an exhaust.

Just place your palm behind the display near the hinge..you can feel the air coming out.

I use my mbp for weeks together without a single reboot.

Try googling Dell xps overheating..will get lots more results.

red dragon said:
Just place your palm behind the display near the hinge..you can feel the air coming out.

I use my mbp for weeks together without a single reboot.

Try googling Dell xps overheating..will get lots more results.
Let's take this to PM since the OP has made his decision. :) Now compare the exhaust to most modern laptops - they have traditional heatpipe coolers with slot style exhausts which allow for 3x CFM. It's like comparing single slot coolers versus dual slot coolers for GPUs. By the way, Macbook overheating has 691,000 results versus 188,000 results for Dell XPS overheating. Not that it means much... But you can see in all the reviews with temperature benchmarks. Load temperatures for Macbooks are consistently higher than the competition. I don't think this is a point of argument. No doubt you have used your MBP for weeks - I have had a budget Acer laptop on for 2 months as well - but have you tried playing a game on MBP for weeks? Or tried rendering a feature length HD movie? Or tried encoding with x264 Placebo settings? The point is - the cooling system is just fine for casual use, and that is what most MB users do anyway. But turn on some high performance usage and the Macbooks don't look like a good machine at all. Load Cinebench, open up a temperature monitor - you will see some scary temperatures returned.

These chassis were designed for Core 2 Duo / Core i3/i5 dual-core with entry level (GT 330M) graphics as in last-gen. Now they have shoved Core i5 dual-core / Core i7 quad cores with mid-end graphics with little change to the chassis, if at all any. So you can see where the problem lies.

On the other hand, if you are using the MBP13 with the dual core CPU and integrated graphics, for casual use, all's good.

20+ hours battery back up ? :O Thanks for the info Sub.

and overheating is common in all laptops :p I have used MBP, but casual usage, not any high performance. It was very cool, on other hand, my XPS heats up on casual usage also :(

Will try high performance usage on MBPs next time.

i have a new XPS 15.6" and mbp 13.3" in my house with very similar config.

XPS heats much more and battery life is around 3.5 hrs while mbp stays much cooler and battery easily lasts 6hrs +.

Both get pretty hot when in high performance mode so similar in this regard.

Overall casual in casual work mbp really outshines.

Apart from mac os, i am simply amazed by the touchpad, it is the best i've ever seen and nothing compares to it.

@sub,buddy,have you used any mbp or just reading online reviews?

Don`t know what you meant by feature length HD movies,but have watched 3 HD movies back to back(more than 6.5hrs) on it.It definitely gets hot..but much slower than any windows machine I have seen/used.

I don`t think people buy macs or thinkpads to play games.They pay the premium to get their works done with minimal fuss.

avi said:
What you meant by this ?
No FUD please :| I have 9-cell powered Dell XPS and it gives 3.5 to 4 hours back up at max. In my whole life I have never heard any lappie, except MBP, giving 8+ hour battery back up.

@OP - Get MBP, you will be fine if you are not into gaming. IMO OS X is just awesome. Or else you can get just another Dell / Asus gaming lappie and put OS X on it :eek:hyeah:

This is my screenshot, my Dell XPS, running Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I get battery back up of 2.5 hours in OS X [on Windows upto 4] and Except Wifi
1.Did you use bootcamp to install OS X Leopard ?
2.Where did you buy the Mac OS ?
3.Doesn't wifi work when you are on OS X ?

1. Bootcamp is used to install Windows ;)

2. Apple Store ;)

3. Nope. It is not working. Thing is I have no time for it to fix it.

I have my exams going on, once I am done with it, I will write a guide :)

Back