CPU/Mobo SFF(Small Form Factor) PC

I have seen many models in many shops on lamington Road.
Since i was never interested in purchasing it never enquired about it.
generally the case comes with m/b + psu. (200 ~240 watts)

m/b's includes the complete spectrum of both intel and amd cpu's.

The cpu + hd + optical drive +rams you have to buy seperately or use your existing ones.

The m/b generally comes with built-in graphics , and some do have 1 agp slot for using a "Real" graphic card. + 1pci slot for other expabsion cards.

Shuttle , Aopen , IWill , Biostar are some of the popular co's manufacturing it. (on the lamington road you may find many more chinese made brands)

The price should vary from 8 to 15 K depending upon the m/b and the brands.
best would be if you actually do some legwork and go window shopping leisurely.

Hi Darky,
Since its available in Pune, it should be available in Mumbai. Would you be knowing the specs of aforesaid Pundit and Spresso.

I have to build a system for my Mama ( I think deejay I mentioned you the same.) Its mainly for Office work and jewelerry designing I had a look at the software and it requires a lot of resources. Price is not an issue here as my MAMA nearly bought an IBM for 40k so I guess 40k is the upper limit. Also Deejay do you think I can fit in a 17inch LCD monitor, as ppl are gonna work 9+ hr on the comps and you mentioned that LCD is much better then CRT now..

For an office system you can go in for a "fairly powerful cpu" platform. no need for "very high" speed cpu. also the onboard graphics should suffice.

RE: LCD monitors., i truly believe that the age of CRT monitors is over. the prices of 17 inch lcd's have come down to $200. so here locally it should come down to 15K soon, from the current 18 to 20K ( not sure of these)

NB* : 17" lcd =19" CRT (approx) , actual display / viewable area.

considering the prices of a 19" CRT the difference is not that much.
As darky has mentioned above ASUS and , many top-tier co's have entered the SFF field . MSI, ABIT, Shuttle et al.
i am sure if you do enough "research" you should be able to achieve your objective.
ps: if you do not want to do "research" just visit newegg with ur CC.:p :D

Ok I am going today to buy/assemble the PC. I need some inputs :

1. Intel / AMD
2. If AMD 64 then which mobo with decent integrated gfx.
3. If Intel which mobo ? ( Sorry no Intel ones, which Asus, MSI or Gigabyte models.)
4. Which OS would be the most stable with office setups
5. I will see the SFF factors and decide if the price is correct.
6. Hdd ? should a PATA suffice for office apps.
7. How much is the cheapest ATI card for ? Would a Radeon 7000 PCI card be better or Integrated gfx be better for 2d quality ?
8. Anything else that you guys think I am missing ?

Allrite had gone yesterday. I didnt find any SFF so bought an A64 rig.

Prices :
A64 2800+ = 5500
Asus K8S = 4100
512 mb Transcend = 3100
Samsung 15 inch TFT = 13000
Case + VIp 350 watts = 1200
80gb PATA Seagate = 2750
Creative 2.1 speakers = 1300
Sony CD 52x writer = 1500

I asked for a few prices of DVD writers
16x benq = 3800
The dealer told me stay miles away from Benq, I asked him why even though the product is good ? he said that Benq service is Pathetic in Mumbai, he has 4 writers lying with him to be replace since 3 months but to no avail.
16x Gigabyte writer = 4800 Highly recommended by him
16x Sony = 4900, he informed was okay but the Gigabyte writer was much better build quality.

Back