Setting up WIFI network @ home

Guys.. I've one more doubt, can i configure this modem +router by simply connecting to phone jack, without connecting to a pc. . . Can i surf the net using my wifi enabled laptop in the signal range..
If so, how will i configure it, . . .

anish, if you want to operate single system then go for BSNL wifi router (Type II) which will cost you for Rs. 1800 in that you dont have to do anything just attach the bsnl wifi router to phone line and create one network connection just like the dial up connection and then use your username and password then connect it, its really simple

If you want to use multiple system with wifi then buy bsnl normal adsl (Type I) for Rs. 1200 connect it with router (linksys or netgear or buffalo, i would personally prefer buffalo) and ask some local technician to get it setup for you and then can njoy with multiple systems.

anish_sha said:
Guys.. I've one more doubt, can i configure this modem +router by simply connecting to phone jack, without connecting to a pc. . . Can i surf the net using my wifi enabled laptop in the signal range..

If so, how will i configure it, . . .
You will have to connect it to the PC for the first time when you configure it (not necessary but recommended for ease). After the initial configuration you wont have to use wires. You can use the wi-fi on your laptop.

To connect your pc to the internet you would either need a wire, or you will have to buy a wi-fi USB plugin for the PC.

anish_sha said:
Guys.. I enquired the price of adsl modem +router, he says linksys is 5k and netgear is 4k. . What do you guys think? Its too much costly right? I just went thru ebay , in it , its about 3.5k. . You guys know any website where i can purchase it in genuine price?

Computer Warehouse Pricelist has 3 ADSL modem/Routers.

The Netgear DG834G @ Rs 2990/- (fantastic price IMHO)

The D-Link DSL G604T @ Rs 3400/-

The Linksys WCG200G @ Rs 3600/-

Take your pick. Look in these two pages: Computer Warehouse Online - Product Catalogue (Wireless Networking Products)

i too am in a mood to replace my d-link glb-502t with a wireless modem/router..from this thread i looked upon the following options :

1.netgear dg834g @ Rs. 2900 app
2.d-link dsl g604t @ Rs. 3400 app
3.linksys wag200g @ Rs. 3600 app
4.Buffalo wbmr-g54 @ Rs. 4000 app

i googled about them all and the netgear one seems to have the maximum no of problems.couldnt find fault with other models.

my modem would be in a room that gets quite hot in delhi summers and sometimes in sumers i dont even have a fan on in that room.

so the mdel that i'm looking for should not have any over-heating issues.
my present d-lnk one had issues and it was only until i gave it for rma that it was solved.
anybody using these models please do comment.

a noobie question here .. :p .. once i have my router connected to my cable modem (hathway - motorolaSB5101).. how will i connect my desktop to the wireless connectivity.. is there any kind of receiver thats needed to pick up the wireless conxn..??

You would need a wireless adapter installed on your desktop. If you don't have that, the only option is to connect to the router via an ethernet cable.

One simple thing, change your rented modem from type 1 to type 4..Its got 4lan and wifi..
keep it in the middle of your house and you will be done..

Atleast you can try and see for just 30 rs extra per month..
Enjoy..

the one that i have is my own.. not rented.. how do i go about from there ?.. first thing is to buy a wireless router..(mostly going for buffalo from prime).. whats the next thing that i should buy ?..

how is Netgear WGR614 @ 1.8k with a PCI adapter @1k from netgear itself.. is it worth the buy ??..
another thing is will i need to call up hathway retards to bind any MACs or IPs with the router ??? ..

backtoexistence said:
how is Netgear WGR614 @ 1.8k with a PCI adapter @1k from netgear itself.. is it worth the buy ??..
another thing is will i need to call up hathway retards to bind any MACs or IPs with the router ??? ..

Naah... in the routers that i've used i.e netgear,buffalo etc, u get the option of using the mac id of ur router or any other mac id to register onto the network. Set it to the mac-id that ur connection is binded on or make the router to forward the mac id of the comp that requests the connection through it. These all options are available.

Back