CPU/Mobo S939 cpu w/o thermal grease?

TechHead

ex-Mod
Posting from college. There is a new MSI mobo and A64 3200+ for a teacher's machine, who needs it ASAP. There is no thermal grease, ONLY the stock HSF and CPU. Can I mount it for her w/o any grease at all? Does the HSF have any grease at the bottom?
Please reply ASAP...

u can...but reduce the clocks till u apply some thermal paste

newn stock HSFs come with a thermal pad

i'm using local 6 rupee for 10gm on my 2500+ right now...

ED IT : goto any local elex shop and ask for thermal paste...u'l get it

The stock HSF has a single use thermal paste under the peel-off and that is good enough

If however the peel-off sticker is off, you need to apply the paste

superczar said:
The stock HSF has a single use thermal paste under the peel-off and that is good enough
If however the peel-off sticker is off, you need to apply the paste

The stock CPU is box-packed, and there is a plastic covering on the CPU base. Is this going to be ok?

SunnyBoi said:
remove that plastic thingy :p use the stock pad, no probs at all

duh! I know I have to remove that! So consensus.. I go with the stock pad? It ought to be fine? How much will that 6 rupee thermal paste help?

Sunny: got the card! Thanks, will be dispatching my card and the draft Friday.

6 rupee thermal paste...it lowered prescott temps by 2* compared to their stock temps...no idea abt A64s..maybe 1*?

Is THERMAL COMPOUNDS like ARTIC SSILVER (NOT Local ONES) MOST ESSENTIAL for a 64-bit procy like the 3500+

.....already installed another 939 64athlon 3000+ procy on a DIRECT HSF without Thermal Paste//though temp is Normal Now.....BUT will it affect the procy in the Long run?

@TechHead and Techie- Me asked same query while assembling my rig!!
And Chaos or Crazy_eddy said go ahead with STOCK HS+HSF for STOCK m/c, HE HE HE...:cool2:
Seriously, ask any of my gurus here, its more than enough for a stock m/c !!:)
Me feel- The stock original pad is better than the 6Re toothpaste!!
As time goes by, the paste cures itself and temps have been noted to drop by a few degrees too!! MY proccy was running cooler at the end of the 2nd week itself, that too in Mumbai Oct heat!!
My PC idled at 41/42 at the beginning, then dropped a deg in 3-4 days and then another and another... At the end of 2nd week of use, Mumbai was hotter but my pc idled cooler at 38/39degC.

Not the CPU. Stock Heatsink has grey patch located centrally on the underside, covered by thin plastic film. Peel that carefully and install with proper alignment.

In fact the original thing can take quite a bashing. With the present lower than normal temps in mumbai, Quadmaster was able to push his rig to 2.7G+ on the stock thing:clap: . But thats only for now and he will have to get his XP90 HS before the Mumbai heat+humidity begins:mad: !!
And any OCer goes for Better CPU coolers, so they invariably use the accompanying paste if provided ( as in coolermaster prods) or AS5 or similar stuff.
AS% being a silver based thermal compound, has better heat dissipation and conductivity implying transfer of cpu killing heat from core/IHS to HS is more efficient than standard ceramic paste!! Please correct me Gurus!!
In fact i distinctly remember chaos or Crazy_eddy telling me that AS5 is no miracle compound that will bring down temps by 10deg or so, it is just one of the better options available to us that will deliver a cpu operating at a few degrees cooler than standard paste!!
And dont we all love to achieve the MAX out of the the MIN we have!!:rofl: :cool2:

Last edited by a moderator:
am on the stock HSF with its thermal pad and my rig is OC'ed too..max temp is 49C.
@The thermal pad is decent, so no need to invest on AS5 on a stock rig

tho i will be applyin AS5 soon

Back