[Review] Nokia 6260

More about 6260

no6260017mc.jpg

Nokia 6260 is a clam-shell/swivel type symbian phone with operating system 7. It is the only clamshell smart phone introduced by nokia (in INDIA). Nokia dubs the phone as " business-orientated phone".

* First impression
The second clamshell phone by nokia ( FIrst one being the 7200 ). Most of us like a clamshell phone for its looks and a larger Screen display. It also weighs less, considering it is a flip-flop mob. The 65k TFT screen is also good. It is "feature packed" and "fully loaded" type.
This phone impressed me a lot considering it's features and it's price.

* Main features

Some of the key features:

# User Interface: Symbian operating system version 7.0S, Series 60 platform.
# Weight: 130 g (and remember it is a clamshell model)
# Dimensions: 10cm/5cm/2.3cm
# Battery / talktime: 760 mAh / Up to 2 -4 hours
# Memory: internal 6mb and expandable with MMC. The MMC also offers hot swapping i.e, change the MMC without turning off the phone. This is not new feature and already in n gage series mobs.
# Camera: video capture (VGA camera at the side of the phone)
# Resolution: 176 x 208-pixels
# Connectivity: Bluetooth, GPRS, HSCSD, Nokia Connectivity Adapter cable (USB), IRDa.
# Tri-band: EGSM 900, GSM 1800/1900.
# Display: 65k TFT LCD
# Ringtones: MIDI,WAV,MP3 formats.
# Entertainment: MP3 player ( Mono ) , FM radio, voice recorder, Video and audio streaming
# Business applications: MS word , powerpoint reader and viewer (we cant compose) using the pre-installed Quickpoint and Quickword viewers.Email composing , FAX etc, is also supported.
# Voice Commands/Dialling

drgrudge posted 1.7 minutes later:

Camera

x428cd.jpg

The camera is at the left side and to the side of the phone. I must agree the camera lens slot might may get soiled and dirty as we use and handle the phone.

It should have been like a samsung model E700 where the the camera lens is at the junction of the two parts of the clamshell which can rotate 180 deg as well or like LG G7200 where the cam is at the pivotal point.

The camera can shoot pictures at VGA resolution (300,000 pixels) and also record video. Since we can rotate the screen, self potrait is also easy. But still nokia can consider a mega pixel camera like 6630/6670/7610 or SE k700i/ S700i phone.

Camera application automatically starts whenever you turn the LCD in the "camera mode" ( that is swivel it to 90 degrees on either side ).I felt some people may get irritated whenver we swivel the LCD. Ofcourse the cam can be started manually as well ... but you will have to swivel it to either position to take a snapshot.

Final word on camera, again i will have to agree it is just a 0.3 mp cam only and nokia should come with 1.3mp cam in almost all its smart phone. No flash as well. The display is brighter and more rich in color. But its the camera that makes it so cheap and affordable as compared to the 7610 with the exact same features.
* "Modes" and twist feature

The main selling points of this phone is its twist-and-fold capability which allows for “three exciting modes to match your every moveâ€. This is an invovative idea where the clamshell is not limited to just flip- flop and go to a extend of rotating the LCD upto 270 degrees.

The three modes:
:arrow: Work Mode
:arrow: Camera Mode
:arrow: Browse Mode

# Work Mode:

img_sml_ft_6260_work.jpg

Just opening up the clamshell and using it normally. We can take photos and shoot videos - CAMCORDER STYLE!

# Camera Mode:

img_sml_ft_6260_camera.jpg

The sensor activates the camera when display is twisted to the right or left side of the phone. This is automatic whenever it is turned to 90 deg.

# Browse Mode:

img_sml_ft_6260_browse.jpg

Twisting the display by 180 degrees which has the screen displayed outwards. It gives easy access to the menu, applications and browsing, as well as make and receive calls. Just the second part is not visible.

Apart from the inovation and novelty, there is not much difference. The sensor thing also starts the Camera mode automatically much to my irritation. :x

If you are too slow to swivel the phone 180 degrees to browse mode the cam starts automatically .. which can get a little irritating.

What's really great is you can pretty much use the phone in "Browse Mode" perpetually if you want to!

drgrudge posted 7.52 minutes later:

Now to the other aspects of 6260....

* Conectivity

The 6260 performs well when it comes to connectivity. Conenctivity was a snap to set up with either of the supported protocols.
Supports:
-Bluetooth
- USB 2.0 cable connection (PopPort).
- IRda
- GPRS
- HSCSD
- Push to Talk (PTT) compatible (remember the TATA indicom advertisement?)

The only thing that was missing was EDGe, and as it is network dependent, it is not that hot now.
* Sounds and speakers
The sound output for mp3 is mono and not stereo just like the 7610. It doesnt has bass Which E398 has. The external speaker is clear but quiet and distorts when you approach max volume, better when listening to the radio.But the sound quality is better than 6600, where we cant hear the sound if kept in a pocket (I cant help comparing with 6600, its sound quality is poor) .

The radio reception quality is crystal clear, which is better than my 6610.The radio sounds great and auto tunes into all available stations for you.

The rigntones are available in MIDI (40 chord poly),WAV,MP3 formats.

There is voice recording feature as well.

* Built quality/Keypads

I guess the price of the 6260 is low becoz it's built quality is cheap,(IMO).The phone is made of low grade plactic material....

The phone is rather "decorated" with small tiny "holes" which i dont like. :)

And the design again is very inovative and novel. The keypads quality is good which is also good in nokia phones (barring 1100/3100/33XX).

Many people think the clamshell might break when droped down.This is a myth and the pivotal screw thing mechanism is strong and wont give up easily.

The on/off button is located at the top righthand side corner of the phone, and chances are high that we may press that one accidently.

The only thing that i am noticed is the built quality :

1. First it is made of a cheap plastic material (i am sure). Just like Hyundai getz where the car was good and the front panel was a ordianary materail leave alone wooden finish or a velvet finish!
2.The odd location of on/off button.
3. The processing speed is also not good fast, comparable to 3660. Slows down more as we install more apps.

* Battery Life

This is probably the worst thing about the phone.
The battery lasts 2 days without a charge .. I'd say an approximate of a little over 40-45 hours.
If you plan to use the cam a lot .. don't expect a long lastin battery life .. it'll probably die on u in 8 hours ! For normal users .. you're still safe.

* Bundled Software

Apart from the usual extras/Real One Player
QuickPoint
QuickWord
Mighty Backup
Camcorder Pro
Ultra MP3
FSCaller : Apparently you can use this to block individual numbers. Havent got the chance to try it yet.
Facearp
CameraFX
SmartMovie : No idea. Didnt work on my piece.
: VPN [Virtual Private Networking

* Games:
Bounce
CardDeck
Snake EX
Micro Pool
Agile Figher
Bowling
Rally Pro
* Special Comments: (Calendar Function)
This was by far the most irritating feature of the 6260. The calendar function no longer includes a "Birthday" function. You have to store them all as an "Anniversary".
As in other nokia symbians the option to add a Birthday ( and a thumbnail ) is there for contacts, But for those "Birthday Reminders" you need to take af ew more pains.
You cannot set the Birthday reminder if the occasion has past for the year. Since a Birthday is a repeated event .. this "FLAW" got on my nerves. Skip ahead to the next year to set it.
Specially beware if you just migrated from a series 40 Nokia !

* Price

Around 16k

MY opinion:

A worth upgrade if u want to buy a symbian phone and don't already own one. It costs resonable too if you dont mind the 0.3 MP cam.
The 6260 is the only clamshell phone available in india from nokia, and it is feature packed and full loaded. The camera overall did better. Good FM radio reception and a okay sound.

The only worry was its buily quality.
"Knock! knock! Is it nokia? "

I am sure that we cant get a phone which has much features and costs a reasonable amount. It costs only 40-45% of SE P900i.

With the Nokia 6260 it seems that it is finally possible to have a business-orientated phone that retains the stylishness and fun features of a mainstream phone. Even 6610 was business oriented phone but lacked in entertainment features.
Some part of this have been written by a friend of mine. People flame me or critise me or tell ur opinion.
The pixs are sourced.

Nikhil said:
But I would have preferred a 7610 instead of a 6260. Both are for around 16K.
yes but 6260 has:
FM radio
PTT
Mp3 player/Mp3 ringtones
It also got pop port --> we can use datacable as well, which we can't use in 7610.

Also, it's a better phone in terms of looks , those modes, camcoder style , champshell-swivel phone.

Also it's a 1k cheaper than 6260 :D
medpal said:
GOOD JOB.
nice review by the engineer doc
Lol, i am also a MBBS graduate guys and dont ask if i got it like how munnabhai got ;)

drgrudge posted 0.97 minutes later:

Nikhil, if u had said, 6260 is a better phone than 7610, then i would again argued :tongue:

ppl get da 3230...a diff look alltogeather but better than these both...
or better a 6630 for 19k :D

and the new models comin r hot...N90 , a sucessor of 6260 out in a month, review already out at mobile-review.com (russian)

ill advice u gys 2 stay clear of the 3230...most of my friends who have it have complained tht its UI gets slwo after a months usage....and the phone becomes damn laggy....taking and asving a pic takes over 5 mins of time....

THe 6630 rox but has a bettery backup of 1 day only
Am intrested in the 9 series especially the N91...4gb of space in the phoen...:I'm loving it '

N1 is Great.....but i was juist going to Buy 6260....thanx for the full review man.....or else i wud have thought abt 7610 and 6260......6260 it is my new mobile..........lol

7610 is louder then 6260 in terms on volume. and 7610 is kina' laggy. 6260 is fast. I know a friend who got back to his 6600 from a 6260!!

hellscream666 said:
Really hye changed back?....wow and here i am going to change 6600 to 6260.......but i like 6260 better......I absolutely abhore the style to 6600

i agree, 6260 is lot sleeker cuz its clamshell but the 6600 is badly a designed candy bar,,,the newer nokias are way better

hey,

gr8 review and certainly the one cell u oughtta have......

infact did my upgrade jus recently and happy to have made the rite choice.....:hap2:

Back