reading parallel port and display

ashutosh143342

Disciple
Mar 12, 2008
hi guys
Iam a final yr engg student and I have to ake a project in which i have to record the speed of a moving object and to display it on computer.so i decided doing it using parallel port.
but i a novice in this so kindly help me
how to take input from parallel port and what kind of input will it read

hammerhead

Adept
Jun 26, 2006
www.teamreflex.org
Okay I have no idea what a tachometer or a optical counter circuit is (as I am not from Electronics) but there there are a few techniques like using a shaft encoder or stepper motors for measuring speed.

If you want to record speed of generic objects you can use IR sensors at a known distance from each other and calculate the time taken by the object to pass through both the sensors.

ashutosh143342

Disciple
Mar 12, 2008
ya ir sensors too can be used....but how to use the signal as a input and then display the speed.
what should be done suppose i will use ir sensors only.

hammerhead

Adept
Jun 26, 2006
www.teamreflex.org
The only method I know is by connecting the sensor with the ADC of a microcontroller and then programming the microcontroller to check the input from the sensors and pass the corresponding output to the parallel port. If there is a method without the microcontroller then maybe some electronics guy will be able to help you out.

ashutosh143342

Disciple
Mar 12, 2008
Well i can make any circuit on pcb wid given circuit diagram.No idea of programming as iam frm mech branch.But i have basic knowledge about programming in c,basic idea abt microcontrollers

hammerhead

Adept
Jun 26, 2006
www.teamreflex.org
First you need to understand how to program a microcontroller. Its not that difficult, I would suggest either 8051 based AT89S51 or AVR based ATmega16 or ATMega8 because these are the only ones I know. Try searching your library for the books or try this link AVR Freaks

Irrespective of what language you learn to program, the output will be a .hex file or a .eeprom file that you will be required to burn on to the microcontroller, again if the microcontroller is ISP supported (all ATmega series) you will need to make a little circuit to burn it. If not then you will need a programmer to burn it, that can be found at your electronics lab.

Additionaly you may require a 5V and Gnd power supply circuit. Once you have done this much you will be good to go. I will warn you if you are looking for a short time project you will have to work real hard and fast.

ashutosh143342

Disciple
Mar 12, 2008
Well iam going market tommorow to buy the stuff.I have nearly 2 weeks left and market is 9 hrs away frm here so could u tell me what r the components to buy.

WingZero

Skilled
Jun 24, 2007
USA
@hammerhead tachometer measures rpm..
@ashutosh EFY-electronics for you...has important article on same....givin display thru parallel port n display covering everythin dun remember the issue...shud b dis month or feb...retails for 35buxx