Proxy

Umm.. You mean using your browser with a proxy ..? If that is so then for Internet Explorer , Do this :
Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options
Click on Connections tab
Click on Settings button beneath Add and Remove button
Enable the checkbox of Proxy Server and enter the Proxy info in the text box given below ..

For Maxthon its relatively easy ..
Maxthon > Maxthon Options > Proxy
Click on + sign and add Proxy information ..
:)

I dont use Opera or Firefox so maybe someone else will help you out on those ..

Sorry for going offtopic a bit but I hope you know the implications of using a anonymous proxy server as a "man in a middle" which are found lying for free on the internet?

I had written this for my blog couple of days back,lemme quote it here:

Well if you have ever considered hiding your system from the internet then anonymous proxy are the first things that will pop-up that list.There are different types of proxy like content filtering,the one that can be used to share a single internet connection to many computers..blah blah & anonymous proxy which we will be talking about.
This is how it works,any information that flows through the anonymous proxy first, then reaches the destination,so this means the IP[32-bit address] address of the proxy machine gets logged where ever I go & not my IP address.This seems all Oober & make a everyday joe feel ultra cool at first but if you think logically then this is a stupid mistake.Agreed you arent stamping your authority everywhere you go when you log-in to the internet but what about the machine through which information is flowing[anonymous proxy machine] ? Can you trust that machine? Anyone with administrator priviledges on the machine can make a profile out of your internet activity,you ask how? Well since the information is flowing through that machine anybody with a decent amout of knowledge & proper tools[Ethereal] can sniff every single piece of information thats flowing & easily make a port folio of you for malicious purposes.
What more scares me is that there are more such free services available lying around the internet than any reputed paid service.Incase there are then please do let me know.But the practical aspect still remains the same for both.

What seems more amusing is why do people wanna hide? My point is if you got nothing to show then why worry about someone who has your IP address?

Well your concern is valid if the user is trying to attack other user/server or something malicious. But there can be other uses as well like accessing the services available to only a large set of IP addresses and not necessarily hiding your identity. Just masking it.

As for free services...
well u may notice that most of the "free" things on samair are always changing...
u see actually they are compromised servers (compromised in the sense that the owners have not configured em correctly). That is why they keep on changing. Intersetingly enuf, India has more proxies listed than most countries which have many more servers and more b/w. Indeed, I did a reverse DNS on the Indian ones, and ALL of them belonged to Indian ISPs - VSNL, SIFY and most of all HATHWAY. HATHWAY had 2 or 3 listed, whereas the others had just 1 each.

Agreed.But that makes you use those anonymous proxy server's which you've no diea who's controlling?
Let me ask you this,how do you find & trust that machine?
Also could you list other reasons as well ,maybe it could add a layered sense of security to what I already practise.

As mentioned in an early post a lot of the free proxies are servers that have been set up wrong. Althogh you do bring up a good point that is why it is good idea to change your proxies from time to time. Stegmos has a proxie program that will change your proxie as much as once every 10 seconds or so.

Back