port forwarding problem !!

Hello ppl...

I have got a new Linksys WRT54G2 wifi router which is connected to the ZTE ZXDSL 831 series DSL modem ( provided by tata indicom broadband )...

Now the problem is that I cant manage to forward the ports b/w the 2 routers....

What I have done till now is :

ZTE - > Internal IP - > 192.168.1.1

Linksys -> External IP -> 192.168.1.3
Internal IP -> 192.168.0.1

My pc -> Ip -> 192.168.0.100

So , I have forwarded the port xxx on ip 192.168.1.3 from the ZTE and forwarded the same port on IP 192.168.0.100 from Linksys

but it is still not working...have i done something wrong??

Please help

PS: please dont link me up to portforward.com

thnx :)

Seems like you've done it right. Are you sure you've gotten the right protocol as well? Also try resetting the router once, and then port forward.

go to portforward.com . Just kidding. Have you considered running the DSL modem in bridge mode and having the Wireless router do the connecting? This is the setup I have at home (my network hardware is different though). Most painless way to do this. Another way to do it (if your ZTE modem supports it) is to put the wireless router in the DMZ. That way all ports are open to the wireless router (may not be the most secure solution). You can then forward ports from the wireless router to your PCs.

I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. With my setup I have completely ignored the main router (cable service)coming in as this is supplying my Buffalo router with an ip address through auto DHCP. The only forwarding I have done takes place in my Buffalo wireless router.

You also need to make sure that the ip address you use for port forwarding is outside the range your router uses to supply ip addresses automatically to other computers. ie ... usually you will have a max number of connections set and the router will use a range of ip's specified in the router firmware. For instance max connections of 12 devices using ip addresses of 192.168.1.9 to 192.168.1.20. The ip address you use for the port forwarding should be outside of this range... which in this case would be something like 192.168.1.7.

Back