Other Phone heating up

crazysrihari

Recruit
Hello!

I wasn't sure where to post this, but its slightly concerning.

Recently, one of my friend's phone screen broke and she had to get it replaced.

After it was replaced, she had been complaining of her phone heating up really quickly and easily, especially during video calls. It definitely wasn't like this before.

After getting her phone back she also did a hard reset through the phone bios.

(It is a samsung M series phone I think)

Should she do anything? Is there anything that the service people could have done (i.e installed some hack or some sort of illegal program?)

Thanks!

Was the service done at the official service center
If not then the reassemble process might have caused something to do with it

I think hard reset would've removed if any malware were present. If the heat is from the new display, it could be due to wrong/incompatible model display used; if it's from the battery, perhaps the technician caused some physical damage to the battery while prying open or somehow; or if it's from the chipset (usually near the top right of the back of the phone), I think it could still be due to incompatible display, but try repasting (removing existing thermal paste and applying new one) first.

Even if it is an official service centre, it is better to inspect the display while connected to the mobile before they paste it on to it.

she had been complaining of her phone heating up really quickly and easily, especially during video calls.
Please instruct her to use her backup phone until a qualified technician (preferably Samsung's) verifies that the heat is not some forewarning of the handset bursting into flames anywhere near her. This is not unheard of. It's better to be paranoid sometimes.

I think hard reset would've removed if any malware were present. If the heat is from the new display, it could be due to wrong/incompatible model display used; if it's from the battery, perhaps the technician caused some physical damage to the battery while prying open or somehow; or if it's from the chipset (usually near the top right of the back of the phone), I think it could still be due to incompatible display, but try repasting (removing existing thermal paste and applying new one) first.

Even if it is an official service centre, it is better to inspect the display while connected to the mobile before they paste it on to it.
This.. incompatible or locally made screens might look compatible wrt screen size but actually require force to be applied to actually get it installed. This leaves zero to extremely little space for air expansion hence the heat doesn't dissipate and then this heating issues. It might heat the screen, the rear or the entire phone which further F*** the battery sooner or later.

Hence, always insist on some warranty both from roadside shops and service centers. I always get stuff fit from shops who offer 3 months warranty.
They have all types of stuff ranging from zero warranty to 6 months to the brand genuine ones. It all depends on the budget you wanna put in.

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me when I replaced my Redmi Note 4 screen with a non-genuine cheap screen from the local repair shop. It used to heat up more, and I always assumed it was because the new screen was drawing more power.

This.. incompatible or locally made screens might look compatible wrt screen size but actually require force to be applied to actually get it installed. This leaves zero to extremely little space for air expansion hence the heat doesn't dissipate and then this heating issues. It might heat the screen, the rear or the entire phone which further F*** the battery sooner or later.
Could it be lack of an air gap where battery is, almost touching the screen?
Recently, one of my friend's phone screen broke and she had to get it replaced.

After it was replaced, she had been complaining of her phone heating up really quickly and easily, especially during video calls. It definitely wasn't like this before.

After getting her phone back she also did a hard reset through the phone bios.

(It is a samsung M series phone I think)

Should she do anything?
Complain about the faulty repair? Take it back and tell them to fix it properly

Could it be lack of an air gap where battery is, almost touching the screen?
Correct! Thats where genuine parts win.
From a distance, both genuine and local parts looks ditto but this 19-20 micro level difference in sizing is the culprit for such issues and also the key to a near perfect brand fitting.

Usually any vendor will give at least a weeks or 10 days warranty but someone who deals into install and forget me biz will never entertain on even a 1 min warranty.
Thus, one has to be very careful while selecting the shop/vendor and always better to research around shops before zeroing on.

yeah, vendor skill matters i guess. I was getting mobile(s) repaired from one guy in my area with big shop, and no repair lasted. Not sure, but he might even be fraudulent.
Went to another guy, smaller shop, and no trouble at all - everything is working well.

I had to replace my mobile display too ( M30s). He replaced it with a 3rd party oled screen for 2k, and its working perfectly for months now, and the oled screen is of very good quality.
So 3rd party screens can be good too.

Ah, makes sense. She said the chipset area is heating up (next to the camera)
She also mentioned that she uses mobile data more, and not much Wi-Fi. I'm aware that data heats up the phone, but could it be the reason for heating up very easily?
Complain about the faulty repair? Take it back and tell them to fix it properly
Is it considered faulty because of heating issue?
That can be done.

Thank u all for inputs.
Will update if anything happens

Is it considered faulty because of heating issue?
That can be done.
Of course it can if the issue was not there before and appeared after the fix.

Whether they will agree is another matter. You will have to convince them that the heating issue is abnormal and appeared after they fixed it and remains there even after a hard reset.

She also mentioned that she uses mobile data more, and not much Wi-Fi. I'm aware that data heats up the phone, but could it be the reason for heating up very easily?
So, see if the heating issue still persists on a WiFi video call.

Is that a 5G phone and it was enabled only some time after the display replacement? Asking because, I recently got a 5G phone; I find it draining a lot more battery than 4G. If (it's a 5G phone and) the issue doesn't exist on WiFi, try the same test on 4G.

Whether they will agree is another matter. You will have to convince them that the heating issue is abnormal and appeared after they fixed it and remains there even after a hard reset.
Better don't be specific as well; just complain that the phone's been heating up a lot after the job & skip the during video calls, near the chipset area, etc. They will try to blame it on something else; at least let them be creative with it. I'm guessing they'll jump right to 'it's normal for old phones'.

Mentioned this to her
Of course it can if the issue was not there before and appeared after the fix.

This aswell. I think she has decided to buy a new phone! She told me the phone bends a little when it gets hot. I immediately told her that it could most likely be a battery issue and to be careful as it could explode.
So, see if the heating issue still persists on a WiFi video call.

Is that a 5G phone and it was enabled only some time after the display replacement? Asking because, I recently got a 5G phone; I find it draining a lot more battery than 4G. If (it's a 5G phone and) the issue doesn't exist on WiFi, try the same test on 4G.

Better don't be specific as well; just complain that the phone's been heating up a lot after the job & skip the during video calls, near the chipset area, etc. They will try to blame it on something else; at least let them be creative with it. I'm guessing they'll jump right to 'it's normal for old phones'.
Yes it's 5G but, that heat wasn't there before. Same issue was there when on wifi, but 5G might have made it heat up slightly faster.

Thanks all for help!

She has decided to get a new phone (budget 20k)

Any suggestions? I have recommended these already

OnePlus Nord CE 3 5G (@21k)
Vivo Y75 (4G)
M34 5G
Vivo Y200 5G
iQOO Z7 Pro 5G
OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite 5G
Realme narzo 50 pro 5g
Samsung A14

Back