PC Revival & Rebuild : Plz Assist

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
Hi,

i am a new member here, though have been passively going through its forums since a few weeks through google search results. i would like to 1st congratulate this website on its organised & exhaustive nature. what most impressed me was the 'template' thingy to request for advice. i myself like things organised & try to form a point-to-point content for any matter i post on any forum. kudos Renegade for the brilliant 'template' idea !

to move on, i live at Thane (Mumbai), am a gamer, may be not if one goes by definition, but yes 'digital respite' (i like to call it that way) is more like food than respite to me. my last PC upgrade was way back when AMD first introduced Athlon processors, and it died a slow death since past 3-4 yrs. its lying biting dust. i had been quite satisfied working on my laptop and playing on consoles, but after much dodging with the idea of a solid and fool-proof PC upgrade, i've decided this time to give it a go !

though comp/tech-savvy, am not a comp-techie person, but like to scavenge on info of any kind, & thanks to the new-age marvel called 'google' (respect !), my world of info has opened up a lot broader ! kindly correct me wherever i commit mistake while writing, and please bear with me if i take some time to note a particular point regarding any tech thing. i will be writing in details, but to-the-point, and would try not to miss anything. if i do, i will add those to my subsequent posts. and yes, pls pardon my utter inability to be brief :p

here it goes :-
Q: What is your budget?

(recently increased to ~45k) + (might throw in some more dough if i get an uber sweet deal) = 50k

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model) :-

pretty dead...will got to trash...no use mentioning i feel
Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - BenQ G2420 HD (Full HD)
SMPS - Need to buy one
Keyboard + mouse - Yes
Speakers - Yes
DVD-writer - Yes

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

so i had decided earlier to go for this, & would mention the config here still (because of AMD BD upgrade issue) :

Config_AMD :-

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
GPU - have thought of GTX 560ti or the 570 one, twin frozer...even if it costs more, i will buy it a few weeks after upgrading
RAM - G.Skills Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz (CL9)
PSU - Corsair (no model selected)
Cabinet - Coolermaster HAF 912 OR NZXT Tempest Evo (or Gamma)

But now today, i've been delightfully enlightened that the above CPU-mobo would set me back by 30,000/-, whereas a combo of 'core i7 2600k SB + GA-Z68UD3-B3' would be a little cheaper, and 'core i5 2500k SB = GA=Z68-UD4/3-B3' would be still cheaper at 21,500/-......checked at local thane shop (Variety Infotech), and at primeabgb at lamington road, and got the same prices at both the places. upon further analysis over net about 'i5 SB/I7 SB VS Phenom II 1100T', almost everywhere SB won hands down ! people say 1100T is meant for multitasking, and intel one for gaming is better. saw some benchmark test-results for metro 2033 and starcraft, and i5 was the winner by a large margin ! so am now heavily tilting towards intel ! (2 of my friends have helped me a lot in decision-making :) (and am super-excited by the new development)....in fact, have almost decided to go for intel....so here goes the 2nd config :
Config_Intel :-

CPU - i7 SB/i5 SB (if i get a good deal, which i am getting, i wont mind spending a little extra for i7 SB)
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z68-U4/3-B3 (mostly giga one, but also confused with Asus maximus IV, sabretooth, and ASRock....pls suggest !)
GPU - Same as in Config_AMD
RAM - Same as above in Config_1
PSU- Pls suggest
Cabinet - Pls suggest
Now, the main part. one of my chief concerns is upgradeability. i dont want to take everything apart in future to uogarde. i ant something that can add on to to my existing system, or may be a slight replace here-n-there. hence i wanted 1100T (for reason of AM3+ socket and BD)....but i read on a webpage that upgrading to Ivy Bridge from SB would be very easy with just a BIOS update ! is it true ?!

also, somehow i feel i should first care about getting a strong processor like i7 SB (i know i wont be needing i7 SB for gaming per se, and i5 SB would be more than enough, but still if i can pay for it comfortably, i wouldnt mind to go for i7 SB), and a solid GPU i can purchase within a few weeks. dont know why, but am feeling this from the gut :p

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, will upgrade the CPU within a year or two (for ivy bridge), or within 6-8 months (if AMD BD)....may be am exaggerating, but for now i have this thought in mind. i dont know how much would it be advisable/feasible ;)

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Mumbai
either at variety infotech at thane, or at primeabgb at lamington road...these 2 are sure !

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
according to descending order of preference :

1. Gaming
2. Browsing
3. Download rig, 24x7 operation
4. Desktop Processing
5. Watching HD movies
6. May be, just MAY BE, OC sometime (i like to fiddle around with gadgets, and would like to try hand at it after thorough study)

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Not as such, but heard some horrible experiences with a friend regarding asus, though primeabgb says rashi peripherals have improved a lot now. but nothing as such...in effect, answer is NO !

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Action/FPS - BFBC3, Crysis, Operation Flashpoint, etc
Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Gaming - 1920 x 1080
Desktop - 1920 x 1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit

lastly, some of the webpages i took help from :-

AMD's Bulldozer-based FX-8130P benchmarked early - TechSpot News

AnandTech - Bench - CPU

x6 1100t vs i5 2500k - Overclockers Forums

Phenom II x6 1100T vs i5 2500k - GameSpot Forums - PC Hardware Discussion

Intel core i5 2500k Sany Bridge vs AMD Phenom II X6 1100t? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Thanks a lot, and please pour your replies in (and sorry for that heavy post ;)

[P.S. - Sorry, forgot to mention about the HDD...500GB seagate 7200rpm for starter would be fine]

So do you have HDD and speakers?

Processor + Mobo Intel Core i5 2500k + Gigabyte Z68X-UD4 (at 21.5k it’s a steal) 21500

RAM Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-2GBXL x 2 1830

GPU MSI GTX560 Twin Frozr II 13750

Cabinet CM 690 / NZXT Tempest EVO 4300 / 5700

PSU Corsair VX550 4600

Mouse Razer Deathadder 2100

Mousepad Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Omega 500

CPU Cooler CM Hyper 212+ 1900

Total 50480 / 51880

GTX560 Twin Frozr II would be able to handle most games at full HD... Plus the upcoming game BFBC3 ;)... And a good mouse would really help you for pwning some a$$s in FPS games so thats why i suggested it ;)

yes i have got the speakers...but not an HDD...but HDD isnt an issue yet. i will get one seagate 500GB one anytime, as i have written at the last of the post.

Hi,

to quote my doubts :-

1] am intent on getting i7 SB with GA-Z68-UD4-B3 mobo...getting it for ~INR 28-29K...future-proof.....problem is, can someone confirm whether Ivy Bridge could be used on this later using just a BIOS update ? though i7 SB, i guess, would serve very well for coming years !

2] why this GA-Z68-UD4-B3 mobo has only 1 PCIe slot running at x8, and one at x16 ? other mobos (like for AMD, 990FXA) have 2 slots each ? i couldnt understand what ate up the space in the designing of the Z68 mobo that Giga could only spare 1-1 slot for each...

3] is the hawk one from MSI for GTX 560TI more recommended ? and what would be better ---> MSI HD6950 TF III VS MSI GTX 560TI Hawk (GTX 570 is out of my reach)
kindly elaborate...

Hi,

seems people have lost interest in interacting...LOL....i know you all must be busy...

anyway, with help from two of my friends and headache-inducing fact-finding by myself, i've finally zeroed onto the exact config i need. it goes as the following :
CPU + Mobo ---> core i7 2600K SB + Asus P8Z68 V-Pro [for ~28k from primeabgb]

RAM ---> G.Skill Ripjaws Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz [for 3450/- from theitwares]

GPU ---> MSI GTX 570 TF2 [for ~18k, or may be less, but sadly not available for now...will check again] OR MSI GTX 560TI Hawk [for ~14.2-14.5k] OR MSI HD6950 2GB TF3 [for ~14-15k] (in order of preference, subject to availability....either from primeabgb, theitwares, or variety infotech at thane)

PSU
---> Corsair TX750 [for ~5.7k...from primeabgb]

Cabinet ---> HAF 912 Advanced OR NZXT Tempest EVO [~5.5-5.8k...in order of preference, and subject to availability...from primeabgb]

all this, EXCEPT the GPU, can be had for about ~43-44k...i do intend to bargain on the whole set-up and try to reduce the cost. primeabgb is a good seller, from my short experience i have had dealing with them. for the GPU, i have a separate budget for ~20k.

kindly suggest on this. i though feel this is just apt for me...slick & powerful config, and all in my budget. :)
thanks !

^^ Get the Core i5 2500k if you are interested in over-clocking you can make up the performance gap between the two [2500k and 2600].

For your RAM, advise don't go for higher speed, go for tighter latency settings, for more on this -- AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3 / CAS latency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / Info: Ram Timings For Dummies. - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net.

Prefer the AMD card [6950 1GB if you're doing no more resolution over 1920 x 1080] over the nVidia card if your sole purpose is gaming, if you think you need Physx and CUDA then get nVidia GTX 570.

Get the Corsair TX V2 650W, it should be enough to run a GTX 570, not sure about over-clocking.

The NZXT Tempest EVO in my books is a better cabinet from the get go as it comes with all 6 fan slots pre-bundled at purchase so you need not buy more fans (all existing fan slots are covered with 4 x 120mm + 2 x 140mm fans) + it has all the dust-filters applied too.

Hope this helps, and happy RIG hunting bruv.

Hi,

thanks for that advise ! i'll reply pointwise :

1) not very enthusiastic as regards to OCing...may be, just MAY BE, i would try out. but that isnt a surity at all ! hence i would like to go for the i7 SB, and it falls well under my budget too...

2) about the RAM, that was indeed a very helpful suggestion...i had gone through some of those links earlier too, but didnt read the content therein in depth...will now read and understand them properly. thanks !

3) about the GPU, i would really like to see CUDA & Physx at play in games...yes my purpose is solely 'gaming', and no rendering, decoding kinds of jobs ! i would really love to have MSI R6950 2GB TF3 Power Edition GPU too, but only the Physx thing is what is tilting my choice in favour of nvidia. also, its highly unlikely that i will get a GTX 570 TF2/TF3 in the mkt, as i've been unable to find one till now, but lets hope i get it.

4) the cabinet part is most worrisome for me now...am unable to decide between whether :

A] should i go for a dust-free, fans-filled environment, where adding a bigger GPU or multi-GPUing (though highly unlikely i would do it) is a problem ? {tempest EVO}

B] should i go for better cable-management, ample space for bigger GPU, bigger fans ? {CM HAF 912 Adv}

some
one pls suggest on this cabby thing atleast...

5] now am also considering adding a CPU cooler - either thermalright venomous X, or noctua u12pseII...pls suggest on this too...
thanks a lot !

Back