Graphic Cards Nvidia's G71 has 32 pipes and 16 ROPs

dipdude

Skilled
Source : Theinquirer

New Nvidia uses its approach

ATI BELIEVES that you need many more pixel operations per clock than the pixel itself. Nvidia disagrees. It believes in a totally different ratio. With the birth of the R580, ATI believes that you should have three to one ratio as R580 has 48 Shaders and 16 pixel pipelines. You don’t need much mathematics to figure out that ATI preaches a three to one ratio.

As the G71 will be able to process 32 pixels per clock, it will physically have 32 pipelines but will have just 16 ROPs. This is no surprise to us as Nvidia's G70, Geforce 7800 GTX actually has 24 pipelines and 16 ROPs.

This means that Nvidia and ATI will take completely new approaches, where Nvidia will try to convince everyone that you need more raw pixels than pixel operations.

The G70, Geforce 7800 GTX has 24 texture memory units and 16 ROPs and can theoretically draw eight pixels with each, having three textures per clock. G71 will be able to do even more pixels per clock - it's as simple as that.

ATI's R580, on the other hand, will still be able to push sixteen raw pixels per clock but will be able to render 48 pixel operations per clock. So ATI will insist on more per pixels operations before you actually draw the pixel. This kind of makes sense when you need more maps and calculations per pixels.

I would fear the very successful and expensive "The way it's meant to be played" program which Nvidia spent some $160+ million dollars on last year. With that kind of budget it's much easier to convince developers and publishers that Nvidia's marchitecture is the best. We can surely say that 2006 will be just as full of marchitecture wars as 2005 was.

This is gonna be bad news for gamers, as both the architectures are gonna be significantly diff. Hence we might see a lot of games either optimised for ATI and Nvidia. Typical Nvidia, bruteforce ATI away ;)

Well, i doubt much of a performance difference will prevail.

Two different approach's which will result in the same thing.

The G71 will come in Crazy Clocks speeds too now.

Its on the 90nm process too.

Dunno why ATi doesnt increase its Pixel Pipelines,

R580 will still be able to push sixteen raw pixels per clock but will be able to render 48 pixel operations per clock

I Dont really understand this. Why more Pixel Operations per clock, if it can only push 16 pixels per clock.

Marketing gimic?...

Anyways, well seee on the 24th :eek:hyeah:

I Dont really understand this. Why more Pixel Operations per clock, if it can only push 16 pixels per clock.

Marketing gimic?...

Its doing more work per clock, as Chaos stated a GPGPU monster. Frankly speaking I didnt find the X1xxx series that bad, apart from X1800XL all other cards are deal at the prices they are being offered. Not to mention the new AVIVO engine. Apart from 7800GT ATI has most of the bases covered up.

Back