[Noob alert!] Asus RTN13U Queries

Neo-N

Skilled
So,

After reading a lot about the Asus RTN13U (and getting myself royally confused!), I am almost certain of buying it. It's primary use will be for downloading torrents with my PC off!
<

So, here are my queries ( some might be noobish, please bear with me!)
<
:

1) I am on MTNL and am already having a MTNL Sterlite ADSL 2 Modem (No wifi). How does the N13U connect to my modem? Will I need any settings from MTNL?

2) I DO NOT plan to flash the N13U with ddwrt. I plan to keep the stock B1 firmware and use the Asus Download Master for bittorrent downloads. Is this ok?

3) I am planning to use a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 8GB on the N13U. Can I add my WD My Passport instead of the Cruzer Blade to it? Will it get enough power?

4) How am I supposed to add torrents to the download master? Do I get a program/utility for doing that?

5) Does the download master download torrents effectively? Will I be suffering from broken downloads or slow downloads?

I do not plan on queuing more that 3-4 torrents at a time. I want to avoid ddwrt only coz I am not comfortable with the flashing part and the warranty issues. Plus, I am not really keen on tryin 3rd party firmwares if the stock one does the job for me.

Thanx in advance...

<

1 - Router is connected to the modem using a LAN cable, you need no additional settings from MTNL.

2 - The stock firmware is extremely buggy and you will experience non resumable downloads after a restart, downloads stopped or disappeared sometimes.

3 - Any HDD that works with only USB power should work fine AFAIK.

4 - Yes, there's a utility that lets you manage downloads if you're using ASUS firmware. There's Transmission remote GUI to manage downloads if you're on dd-wrt.

5 - Same as #2

You can get the router and see how it performs for few days. Pretty sure you'll experience annoying bugs, then you can take a call as to whether you wanna flash dd-wrt or not. It's very easy and there's a very extensive guide written by dinjo to help you do that.

Can't answer all your questions since I've never used any of the Asus models, but the few that I can, here you go!

1) You would need to connect the MTNL modem to the Internet/WAN port of your N13U. You can set it up in one of two ways.

i) Assuming that your MTNL modem has an IP of 192.168.1.1 and gives out IPs in the 192.168.1.x range, you can change the local IP of the N13U to 192.168.2.1 Has to be a different network from the modem.

ii) Configure the modem in bridge mode. In this case, you'll need to setup the N13U to use PPPoE. You'll need the MTNL username and password. In my opinion, this is a better option.

2) I don't see why not. Although I recall reading of people complaining about the stability of the built-in torrent application. Not sure if it's this one or the other N10/N16 models though. Better if someone who's used the N13U answers this.

3) You can connect your WD HDD instead of the Sandisk. Can't really do too much of torrent downloading with an 8GB flash drive!

4) Either an application or a web interface. Again, let someone who's used the router answer this one.

5) Again, let someone who's used the router answer this one.

It's not really a difficult thing to flash a third-party firmware. You can try using the stock firmware, but if it's not satisfactory (I've yet to come across a stock firmware that is!), I'd suggest you give it a shot. There's plenty of tutorials available, and I'm pretty sure there'll even be YouTube vids if you look for them. As far as the warranty goes, yes, flashing a third-party firmware does void your warranty, but you can always flash it back to the stock firmware if you need to get a warranty replacement or something. Hope this helps somewhat!

Edit: Looks like someone already replied! There you go! Better off with DD-WRT!

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Guys after i configure my n13u with PPPoE config using my mtnl login and pass, i am unable to open my 192.168.1.1 (which is the ip of the mtnl modem)

i can open it when the config is on auto detect

the ip of the asus router is 192.168.2.2 and that of mtnl is 192.168.1.1

the problem is that i want to keep the asus setting on PPPoE since i get better performance that way but i also want to be able to open up the mtnl from my pc

you help would be much appreciated
happy19.gif

edit:it is router mode

My beetel modem has a setting which allows you to use a secondary IP and this IP works when connected via router. Check if you have something like this in LAN Settings

odjro.png

My beetel modem has a setting which allows you to use a secondary IP and this IP works when connected via router. Check if you have something like this in LAN Settings

odjro.png

what do i change it to??

before we proceed, do tel me something, is it actually better to have the asus configured in pppoe or is it just a feeling that i have?

what do i change it to??

before we proceed, do tel me something, is it actually better to have the asus configured in pppoe or is it just a feeling that i have?

The way I have it is my modem is 192.168.1.1 as the default IP, and router is 192.168.1.2 and the other computers on the network are 192.168.1.x

I configured the secondary IP to 192.168.11.1 so its like a different domain, but am able to connect to it from any pc on the network.

Having the modem set to bridge mode and the router running PPPoE does work out better since there's only one NAT device in the network. This is from a speed perspective. Security-wise it's better to have PPPoE set on the modem and the router set to Auto Configuration. This way both the modem and router have NAT enabled. Speed takes a slight hit, but security is enhanced.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Having the modem set to bridge mode and the router running PPPoE does work out better since there's only one NAT device in the network. This is from a speed perspective. Security-wise it's better to have PPPoE set on the modem and the router set to Auto Configuration. This way both the modem and router have NAT enabled. Speed takes a slight hit, but security is enhanced.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

I cannot comment on the increased security with a double NAT but it makes life a whole lot difficult if you want to forward any ports from the innermost NAT to the external world.

Yep, that's also true. Forwarding would need to be done on both the modem and the router. And even then it doesn't always work. An unnecessary complication, which is why I always suggest having the modem in bridge mode and the router set to PPPoE.

I myself have bought this router for the same purpose. Here are the answers to your questions:

So,

After reading a lot about the Asus RTN13U (and getting myself royally confused!), I am almost certain of buying it. It's primary use will be for downloading torrents with my PC off!
tongu23e.gif

So, here are my queries ( some might be noobish, please bear with me!)
54645.gif
:

1) I am on MTNL and am already having a MTNL Sterlite ADSL 2 Modem (No wifi). How does the N13U connect to my modem? Will I need any settings from MTNL?

With a LAN cable. You need to configure your modem in Bridged mode and router in PPPoE.

2) I DO NOT plan to flash the N13U with ddwrt. I plan to keep the stock B1 firmware and use the Asus Download Master for bittorrent downloads. Is this ok?

No. Asus download master is Sh*t. I tried to download 10 torrents with it ranging from 10 MB to 10 GB but it never downloaded one.

3) I am planning to use a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 8GB on the N13U. Can I add my WD My Passport instead of the Cruzer Blade to it? Will it get enough power?

My Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Drive 500GB gets enough power. Check the power consumption of both drives online for comparison.

4) How am I supposed to add torrents to the download master? Do I get a program/utility for doing that?

Download master comes with a utility. It also associates itself with .torrent files. But Using Download Master is Highly not recommended.

5) Does the download master download torrents effectively? Will I be suffering from broken downloads or slow downloads?

No. It doesn't.

I do not plan on queuing more that 3-4 torrents at a time. I want to avoid ddwrt only coz I am not comfortable with the flashing part and the warranty issues. Plus, I am not really keen on tryin 3rd party firmwares if the stock one does the job for me.

When you'll buy it you'll find how sh*tty is the asus FW and u'll flash it with DD-WRT.

Thanx in advance...

happy19.gif

Back