Nokia N73 Music Edition

Well, finally the day came to replace my good old and trustworthy K750i. And the only phone out there that really appealed me was the new Nokia N73 Music edition.

A sexy new version of N73 was released by Nokia in october and it immediately became popular due to its looks and new feature additions to already popular N73.

So without westing too much time lets head to the features.

[BREAK=Specifications]

Specifications

• Network: UMTS / GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
  • Dimensions: 110 x 49 x 19 mm
  • Weight: 116 g
  • DIsplay: 256K TFT display, 240 x 320 pixels, 36 x 48 mm
  • Memory(Internal): 42MB shared internal memory
  • Memory Expansion: MiniSD Hot swapable, 2GB included
  • GPRS: Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
  • EDGE: Class 10, 236.8 kbps
  • 3G: 384 kbps
  • Connectivity : USB2.0, Bluetooth(v2.0), IrDa
  • Messaging: SMS, MMS, Email, Instant Messaging
  • Browser: WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML
  • Java Support
  • Camera: 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, video(CIF), flash; secondary VGA video call camera

[BREAK=The Phone]

Now lets have a look at the phone itself. The phone comes in nice nokia box which includes phone, manual, charger, Stereo Hands Free, usb cable and 2GB miniSD card. Pretty much standard package. inclusion of 2GB is added value and makes this phone totally worth the additional expense over regular N73.

The phone is not exactly slim but its slick and looks classy. The all black colour gives it that much extra sexy feel.

The screen

The Screen is absolutely amazing 256K colour TFT with resolution of 240x320. Its crisp, clear and easily readable even in daylight. Its pleasure to look at.

The keypad

The joystick is very good and responsive. Coming from K750i joystick this feel a lot better. The menu keys are in crome and rest if the keypad is black. The number keys are small. It might take some time getting used to for new user.

The volume control, Video & Images and camera keys are located on the right edge of the phone

The speaker

The phone is equipped with dual speakers on the top. I was not expecting much from these built in speakers but i was surprised to see how loud and clear they are. Even at full volume there was not much distortion coming from the speakers and it was clear.

The camera

Probably the best thing about this phone is its camera. Without doubt the best camera phone i have used till date. A 3.2MP camera provided very good results during the day and decent results during night time photography.

The pics came good enough to be used as a desktop wallpapers or even take small printouts.

The camera has wide variety of options. Different scene modes including portrait, night, macro/closeup, landscape, Auto and user defined. The flash has Auto, red eye reduction, on and off options.

The phone even has ISO, white balance and colour tone settings to give the best results.

A word of advice. Avoid using phone camera in auto mode. Manually select the scene, flash, ISO, white balance mode and then take pics. It gives much better results

[BREAK=Using the phone]

Those who have used any S60 phone before wont feel alien to this phone. Its typical S60 interface. Nice and easy to use.

Network reception

I tested this phone in the house, inside the operating room of my dad's hospital where signal strength is usually very low and my K750i always struggled to picup signal there.

N73 didnt face any problems picking up the signal and where K750i had single bar or no bar and having difficulties making calls, the N73 was working effortlessly. Network reception has always been the big plus for Nokia and N73 is no exception.

Music playback

The phone comes with stereo handsfree. The nice thing about this hands free is that it comes with 3.5mm stereo jack. So you can use your choice of earphones with this phone. The bundled earphones are not that decent but not that good. I was disappointed with nokia regarding this. A phone in premium segment (which this phone is at over 20k) should come with good set of earphones. The bundled stereo earphones lack the tight bass and Treble is horrible. And it does not sound good for rock and metal music at all.

I immediately switched to the earphones that came with my Cowon player and it made huge difference. The phone obviously is capable of producing excellent results playing your favorite music collection. Results were good and you wont miss a MP3 player if you have this phone.

The music playback is good as long as you dont convert your song collection to eAAC using nokia pc suit. It does degrade music quality.

Camera

The camera is protected by the sliding cover which is good thing. It protects llens from dust and scratches. The phone has dedicated camera button and you can hold it sideways similar to a conventional camera while taking pics.

The results as i said before were excellent.

Here are some day, night and indoor pics taken using the N73 camera.

[BREAK=Camera Comparison with K750]

To do a fair comparison between the camera, i reduced the N73 resolution from settings to 2MP ( no image was edited in any way after its taken from camera). This page will see more additions as i take more images.

An attempt was made to replicate exact same image but there will be minor differences as hand move.

Images on left side are K750i images and to that of right side of page are N73

Test 1, indoor pic of a plastic object

K750i------------------------------N73

Test 2 Outdoor pic in sunny bright light

Test 3 Black and white test pattern

Test 4 Sculpture picture under natural light

Test5: Outdoor, Sun behind the camera

Test 6: Night shots with flash on

[BREAK=Conclusion]

Conclusion

In all the N73 music edition is great phone and certainly best option in 23-24k range. There is hardly anything wrong with this phone. And Nokia has managed to put out a sleek sexy looking phone packed with features.

Positives

• Great screen
  • Nice looking and sleek
  • Great camera
  • Good music playback
  • 2GB miniSD card included in the package
  • 3G ready
  • Dual camera for video call
  • Good network reception

Negatives

• Keys maybe small for some users
  • Screen catches fingerprint too easily
  • Bundled stereo headphones not good enough
  • Last but probably one of the biggest drawback of this phone. No A2DP.........argh why nokia why....

My Rating : 8.5/10

The only reason this phone lost 1.5 points in my book is lack of A2DP support. They managed it in N91 ME then why not for N73 ME.

Gallery doesnt run in the background... i have the N73.. mine runs fine.. only crashed on me twice, using it for 2 months now...

IceFusion said:
Gallery doesnt run in the background... i have the N73.. mine runs fine.. only crashed on me twice, using it for 2 months now...

Are you talking about the original N73 or the ME.:huh:
Cause I just checked both the phones today at a shop,and i'm confused as to which one to get.
The black looks cool and sporty but at the same time the silver looks more classy and sophisticated.I'm torn between these two.:eek:hyeah:
But anyway thanks you guys for your replies.Probably wait a couple of months more and get it somewhere in May after exams and all.:clap:

I was thinking of buying this phone and the camera quality comparison with the K750i was particularly useful in making up my mind to buy this phone (though I'd have bought this phone anyway :p). I'll probably be getting this phone tomorrow. Great review. :)

Since you have the regular one,your the best person to clear some doubts:
Have you updated the firmware to v3 or still on the stock v2??
Also since it is the original one is there were lot of freezing and crashing.:(
These are some bugs that many people faced when it came out
->Switching from video mode back to image,phone would crash.
->After zooming out of a pic in gallery,it would crash
->There's always a puple haze in night shots
Have you experienced any sort of wierd behaviour like this??Planning on getting it in a couple of months so just wanted to make sure:)

Homer said:
Since you have the regular one,your the best person to clear some doubts:
Have you updated the firmware to v3 or still on the stock v2??
Also since it is the original one is there were lot of freezing and crashing.:(
These are some bugs that many people faced when it came out
->Switching from video mode back to image,phone would crash.
->After zooming out of a pic in gallery,it would crash
->There's always a puple haze in night shots
Have you experienced any sort of wierd behaviour like this??Planning on getting it in a couple of months so just wanted to make sure:)

Clearing your doubts..

1. i am still on stock v2 as the nokia software updater shows that there are no updates for my phone as yet..
2. No there isnt freezing and crashing... there are a few bugs though which should be solved in future formware updates

Switchin from video to image- works fine
The bug with zooming is that you cant zoom into the pic through gallery directly, you have to take the pic into edit more to zoom in. The zooming out of pic crash thing is in N93
There is purple haze in night shot only if you take the picture using Auto mode, and the light is coming from your side. Use night mode and the pictures come out fine.

The weird behaviours i got... One is the picture zoom thingy i told abt, another is that the white balance wont work... and the phone needs all the ram it can have to play snake :p

But then like i said these all can be fixed through a firmware update :)
Hope this helps..

Thanks for the propt reply,this definitley cleared most of the doubts.:eek:hyeah:
But the funny thing is that there is a new firmware for the plain N73 and it updates it to v3.It's strange that it says no new updates.:huh:

I dont have a link ATM,but I think the v3 update is through the European site.Also many people in other forums have updated to v3 while some still cant find new updates.So probably our site hasn't been updated as usual.
(Still dosent show the ME editions on the site:p )Dam you Nokia:mad:

Just found this link to the Nokia site where you can check the latest firmware for your phone : http://europe.nokia.com/A4305060 :hap2:

gr8 review there funky....

just one question.. hows the battery life of it?? when u use it for music and accept calls and stuff?? hw long does the battery last??

The N73 comes with a 1100mah battery...listning to music for around 2 -3 hours a day, clicking 10 - 15 pictures, calls of about an hour + sms sending keeps my phone up for 2 - 3 days on a full recharge.

it works now, new firmware is detected and upgrades fine, buy it , cudnt find any bugs with the upgraded one

beware tho everyhting on ur fone including contacts is wiped out, only whats on mmc remains so make sure 2 back everything up b4 upgrading

Back