Budget 90k+ Need to build a Security Operations Center (Home Lab)

What is your budget?
Not Sure how much it is going to cost
What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
NA - Currently have a Laptop, which will be still with me and will be used as and when required
Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor LG 32 Inch Wide Screen
Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - AMD
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
GPU - NVIDIA 4090
Other Components as required
No Keyboard and Mouse
Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Will not look at upgrade for at least next 3-5 years
Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai
Open to online purchase
What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Security Operations Center (LAB)
Password Cracking
Defense and Attack Labs
Malware Analysis
Running 8-10 VM's simultaneously - minimum 3 VM's will run with 16 GB of RAM or More and Rest with Minimum 2 GB
Crypto Mining (May be)
Initially thought of buying 2 Systems an building in Thermal take W200, still open to that option - 1 System will be an attacker Machine and 2nd will host all vulnerable VM's along with multiple other security tools.
Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No Intel
If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Need for Speed
What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Samsung Odyssey Neo G95NC 57.0" 7680 x 2160 240 Hz Curved Monitor (Not Sure)
Are you looking to overclock?
Not Required I think
Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Kali Linux, Windows, and other flavors of Linux

Adding to this, 3 years back I was looking at this https://techenclave.com/threads/rig-for-virtualization-programming-machine-learning-and-vapt.192350/ but I had to drop the plan, Now I want to start this again from the scratch, (If recommending server, please let me know from where can I buy them, as I am unable to find any relevant details on that).

Last edited:
@Darth Vader : I was also thinking on that lines, and was thinking to get stick to only One Machine, Configuration that I came up was something like this

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Processor with Radeon Graphics
Noctua NH-D12L 120mm CPU Air Cooler
Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB (32GBx2) DDR5 6000MHz Desktop RAM (Matte Black) X2
Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive X1
Seagate 4TB Barracuda 5400 RPM X 2
Asus ROG Strix Gaming RTX 4090 OC 24GB Graphics
Corsair RM1000e 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.0 SMPS
NZXT H7 Flow RGB (ATX) Mid Tower Cabinet (Black)
123.9cm (49") Gaming Monitor with 32:9 aspect ratio display

Any Suggestions on what would be the overall cost, on the additional components that need to be considered?

You can check the price here: https://pcpricetracker.in/ Get ur budget sorted first.

Do you really need 4090 ? Trust me, you wont be cracking passwords all day with ur GPU, but if you can afford sure do it. IMO, for ur req, you need lots of RAM, CPU cores and multiple SSD to run ur VMs. Multi monitor would be ideal as well. And for that budget, get the best rated PSU you can.

Get on Discord groups and ask others about their setup/suggestions. Once you finalize, you can ask here for the best components/models.

What is your budget?
Not Sure how much it is going to cost
What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
NA - Currently have a Laptop, which will be still with me and will be used as and when required
Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor LG 32 Inch Wide Screen
Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - AMD
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
GPU - NVIDIA 4090
Other Components as required
No Keyboard and Mouse
Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Will not look at upgrade for at least next 3-5 years
Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai
Open to online purchase
What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Password Cracking
Defense and Attack Labs
Malware Analysis
Running 8-10 VM's simultaneously - minimum 3 VM's will run with 16 GB of RAM or More and Rest with Minimum 2 GB
Crypto Mining (May be)
Initially thought of buying 2 Systems an building in Thermal take W200, still open to that option - 1 System will be an attacker Machine and 2nd will host all vulnerable VM's along with multiple other security tools.
Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No Intel
If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Need for Speed
What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Samsung Odyssey Neo G95NC 57.0" 7680 x 2160 240 Hz Curved Monitor (Not Sure)
Are you looking to overclock?
Not Required I think
Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Kali Linux, Windows, and other flavors of Linux

Adding to this, 3 years back I was looking at this https://techenclave.com/threads/rig-for-virtualization-programming-machine-learning-and-vapt.192350/ but I had to drop the plan, Now I want to start this again from the scratch, (If recommending server, please let me know from where can I buy them, as I am unable to find any relevant details on that).
Are you getting the thermaltake w200 anywhere? It was OOS everywhere I looked. Please do let me know if you know where I can get 1 too

Considering you have posted the following to be running on your system - sounds more like a gaming rig (considering the 4090 and Odyssey monitor) disguised for studies.

Password Cracking
Defense and Attack Labs
Malware Analysis
Crypto Mining (May be)

I would suggest to instead get a used server which can be run headless. 2 would be even better. Ensure they are kitted out with lots of RAM (128GB each) plus have extra network ports.

You can check for homelab threads here on TE, some vendors were given.

For the GPU password cracking, get a RTX A2000 like card which can fit in that server chassis.

Learn to do everything headless.

Back