Need to build a Mid-range Server

kooltools

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?

80K to 100K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

IBM P4 based server

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Open for suggestions

CPU+MOBO

I prefer Xeon based or even fine with AMD

Is it recommended that i use server class hardware or for my application desktop class hardware will suffice?

RAM:Minimum 4 GB

HDD:Minimum 300 GB SAS

LAN: Dual Gigabit LAN

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

RAM(If required)

HDD

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Surat,Mumbai

Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Use it as a server for about 25 PC's

Install custom software that require SQL Database

Possibly will use it for Virtualisation

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Will use the existing one

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

NO

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows Server 2008/2003

Also i am planning to upgrade my network to Gigabit network and also in the process of purchasing a NAS for Centralized Storage.Suggestion for the same also

I have been offered a IBM x3400 M3 tower server

But i dont need a Dual processor support as i believe that i wont be adding any more processors in the future as when i add another process may be at the same cost i would be getting a better process with annother socket offering more performance(correct me if wrong).

need your suggestions as i am not that very well verse with the server

Also i plan to use the server for the next 3 years

You might want to look at the Dell PowerEdge or HP Proliant series. Not well aware of IBM though.

Peace of mind would be if you go for branded as mentioned above.

Since you are planning to use Windows 2008, buy only keeping in mind Windows 2008 x64, will make you more future proof.

Dont take decision based on you will upgrade in future. Who knows much about future requirements. So the thumb rule should be to buy

current technology with reasonable upgrade option for Memory and Storage. Having an additional socket for a second processor would be a great

idea. The reason being Virtualization and SQL. SQL is resource hungry. Virtualization would make you increase more memory in future so do

consider the amount of ram a motherboard can support.

These are just a few bits from me. You might want to research a bit more based on your requirement.

Thanks for your reply.Well i thought of Dell and HP ...

The HP website is disastrous...one cannot find anything there the indian ones

I saw dell servvers ...though i personally prefer dell there are no authorized sellers in the place that i live and as far as i know when ti comes to servers..more than the hardware the service matters the most.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway

Back