Need suggestions regarding a medical query

Aman27deep

Skilled
Hello people.

Few days I had a bad bike accident, while I was riding on an empty road in a foggy night a bus took a u turn very suddenly and hit me and ran away.

My left shoulder is in shambles. Managed to break my collar bone and scapula, and bruises all over the body. The docs' asking me to get a surgery done, whereas consulting some other doctors, they said put your hand on a sling and it'll heal on its own.

As I'm not a doctor, nor do I have any knowledge about anything medical, I'm seeking for your help. Don't want to opt for surgery as it'l mean having two surgeries , which I don't want to get. Needless to say, I'm afraid of being put under a knife.

Seeking suggestions.. might not be able to reply a lot.

Hello. As far as fear of surgery goes, I think you should keep that out of your mind. The anaesthesia obviously makes it completely pain free. But yes, even in minor surgeries like removal of the appendix, you have to deal with some post-operative pain. But this shouldn't be too much of a problem as there are drugs to deal with it if necessary.

You should undergo surgery only if you are certain (or as certain as you can be) that you need it.

You said that different doctors have given you conflicting opinions. If you can, check which doctors have a good track record and high rates of success. Get as many opinions and as much info. as you can.

*I'm not a doctor.*

I had two major fractures in my collar bone(Xray looked like a stick has been cut from two sides). Doctor told me that it will heal without surgery but it won't be as straight as it was. My shoulder is fine now, but one can figure out if someone looks very closely.
Having said that, it depends on particular injury as well. If surgery is required then go for it. I would recommend you to consult at-least two three doctors and then decide.
I have undergone two surgeries, one for hernia and other was on my right hand(I am right handed). There are after-effects but if it is necessary there is no point in delaying it.
Don't be afraid of surgery, you will be unconscious and they give so strong painkillers that you will hardly feel anything at all.

I had surgery for a broken ankle, wasn't painful at all.

However go with whatever your family doc recommend, these days most of them are ready to operate immediately :p

Back