CPU/Mobo Need Help Urgently

blaster

Disciple
My friends System Config:

P4 1.7 , 256 DDR , Asus Mobo , Sony RW , Samsung R , Samsung 40 GB HDD
Till 3 days back sys was working all fine.But now on booting withing 3 - 5 mins system hangs. If in bios system monitor is on ,

before sys stops responding
Mobo temp : 40*
Proce Temp 45*
Fan Speed 3500
VCore 1.7
3.5 Voltage 3.4
5 Volatage 5.1

after prob its shows

Mobo temp : N/A
Proce Temp 45*
Fan Speed 3500
VCore ! ! ! !
3.5 Voltage ! ! ! !
5 Volatage ! ! ! !

and so on.

Prob persists even after disconnecting all non necessory peripherals.

We have noticed that the SMPS Fan rotation has decreased a lot.Can this cause prob ??

After prob when we goto bios a warning is displayed saying that , "Proc,PCI or DIMM frequency do not match , now loading safe mode."

What is causing this prob :huh:

Why dont you get into the bios, load the fail-safe settings/default settings, save & reboot. see if the problem persists.

did your friend o/c his pc, as it was working fine, find out what changes he made to his system etc.

watch out for cmos checksum errors, in case his bios is corrupted.

what is the psu he is using.

try to give more details on clock frequency's of cpu, pci bus, memory from the computer, before it hangs.

i)Yes we did try to lode default settings , but no help.
ii)No he never did OC , and there were no chages made to h/w.
iii)There are no check sum errors displayed while booting.
iv)Ram is 266 (Not sure , will confirm later),PCI 133,P4 1700Mhz
v) PSU is mercury 350W

we had later opened and cleaned CPU and noticed that Heatsink compound was not present , so we got new and put that on procy but no use , still prob persists.

:huh:

the first thing i would do is try a new psu :(

also, when your system hangs what exactly you mean by it, it stops responding, shutsdown, or you get bsod.

you have not mentioned anything about graphics card.

open the cabinet and see if all the fans are working when system is running.
also clean your system, especially the ide(hard-disk) connectors of dust. or try a new ide cable.

run chkdsk(scandisk), look for bad sectors.

as far as new psu is concerned , i will try mine and see if it works,

the Graphix card is onbord one.

When the prob occours the sys stops responding , if bios screen is open then it stops responding, som times if os is running then get BSOD.

If system monitor (bios) is on then get the screen , mentioned in first post in red.

planning to also try changing RAM , will share results as soon as we finish RnD.

Edit:

We removed battery and started sys , but the same prob.Then also will put another and try.

Back