Need advice on cables for home networking

I've also only tried out TP-Link Deco for mesh WiFi. Is there something else that is better?
I did A/B testing with Deco M5 3 pack and Asus AC68U+ 2xAC59U. The fine tuning options in AiMesh are pretty handy.
Any recommendations for 10GbE switches?
If you are not using multi-gig WAN then I would say 10G is pretty useless (and expensive). You can use 2.5G switch (less expensive but still big upgrade from gigabit)

I have to ask, what's your use case? Are you going to be constantly streaming/downloading or just browsing the net?
How fast is your internet connection?
How many devices are going to be using the ethernet connections?
Are you sure you won't be better served by a mesh wi-fi system?
Since you live in an independent house, I don't think you'll get much signal interference from your neighbours, so you should be able to get a good stable wi-fi connection.

I prefer ethernet to wi-fi, but I think that's because I'm old school. If I wasn't prejudiced I think I'd have gone with a mesh wi-fi system instead of wiring.

I did A/B testing with Deco M5 3 pack and Asus AC68U+ 2xAC59U. The fine tuning options in AiMesh are pretty handy.

If you are not using multi-gig WAN then I would say 10G is pretty useless (and expensive). You can use 2.5G switch (less expensive but still big upgrade from gigabit)
Yeah you're right, I can stick to 2.5G for now and probably upgrade to 10G later is required aince the cabling would already be there.

Do you happen to know where I could get a small 4 bay rack? Planning to keep my router, switch, mini pc server, pi, etc on it.

@puns please merge this with -
Not sure why two different threads are needed.

Do you happen to know where I could get a small 4 bay rack? Planning to keep my router, switch, mini pc server, pi, etc on it.
I have deployed the same. Went with local vendor in the end, paid around 3500 for it incl. GST (Netrack is the manufacturer). The one ordered from a seller on Indiamart came damaged and took a month to refund.
Yeah you're right, I can stick to 2.5G for now and probably upgrade to 10G later is required aince the cabling would already be there.
Plus, you are more likely to have 2.5G ports on the clients, rather than having to put 10G nics in every PC/Server to utilize it. Once 10G becomes a norm and most PCs come included with it, we can switch to 10G.
For me personally, Gigabit seemed okay as my WAN is 240mb/s anyway. And not many bandwidth hungry clients.

I had my 3-floor building running two Lan Cat 5 cables (1 for redundancy) in 2007. I probably would have spent around 50K for all civil and electrical work and those expensive Schneider RJ-45 jacks back then. Not one of them is in use now. Cat 5 is limited to 100 Mbps while I am on a 200 Mbps broadband. Changing the LAN cable is not as simple as I initially thought due to the 3 floors involved and the concealed wiring. Now all those 50K+ investment is lying to waste. I am now on a wifi mesh.

@wakkun Something to think about.

I had my 3-floor building running two Lan Cat 5 cables (1 for redundancy) in 2007. I probably would have spent around 50K for all civil and electrical work and those expensive Schneider RJ-45 jacks back then. Not one of them is in use now. Cat 5 is limited to 100 Mbps while I am on a 200 Mbps broadband. Changing the LAN cable is not as simple as I initially thought due to the 3 floors involved and the concealed wiring. Now all those 50K+ investment is lying to waste. I am now on a wifi mesh.

@wakkun Something to think about.
I am definitely going to get some decent copper CAT 6A

Have some fishing wires through those ducts for pulling cables afterwards...would be much easier for future....you can see some videos on YouTube.

I am definitely going to get some decent copper CAT 6A
That is what I thought when I purchased the Best in Class Cat 5 cable available in India in 2006/2007. The point I am trying to make is that whatever you think is the best today will become outdated in a few years.

Another example was I had all types of Audio/Video cables running from the floor to the false ceiling of my Home Theaters. I had Composite, S-Video, Component, VGA, and even DVI cables all running through a duct along with LAN and Power Cable. The idea was I could source the Audio and Video from any device to my ceiling-mounted Projector. It ran well for 5 years or so. Then came HDMI and ruined all my best laid plans. Now all my devices are HDMI based. I simply cannot snake the HDMI cable in through the duct from the floor to ceiling.

If you still think of running cables then I would suggest using separate ducting for each cable with easy access to remove and insert.

Can any one suggest where I can actually order some decent CAT 6A cables? I've only seen them in bundles of 305 meters (I don't need so much), I'm perfectly fine with terminating them myself.

However, I can't seem to find anything good locally, what is available is of bad quality.

Can any one suggest where I can actually order some decent CAT 6A cables? I've only seen them in bundles of 305 meters (I don't need so much), I'm perfectly fine with terminating them myself.

However, I can't seem to find anything good locally, what is available is of bad quality.
Try Indiamart

Back