Budget 31-40k Need a laptop for studies

ajmeyn

Disciple
What's your Budget? < 45K

What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? Reading / Web surfing, Light gaming, Programming (will setup VMs), Watching movies online

What size and weight considerations do you have? 14" looks to be ideal for portability and usage (15.6" seems rather bulky and heavy). Ideally something near or under 2 Kg

Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? None really, but should have support in Europe (a HP I got 3 years back started overheating from the time I got it not sure if that is the case now too?).

Any other considerations? Long battery life (4+ hours), Matte screen preferable (will be doing a lot of reading on it), Good keyboard for long hours of typing, Good build quality and should not get too hot in normal usage.

I guess basically it would need to be a 3rd Gen Core i5 !4" laptop (preferably without a dGPU to keep the temp down). Any suggestions?

IMO go for the below laptop :

Sony VAIO E Series SVE14113EN Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Sony Notebook

Its having radeon 7550M gpu also on which you can do light gaming. and 2nd gen core i5 is anyday better then 3rd gen core i3

7550M is not more worthy than an entry level GPU. Of course its better than HD3000, but not that worhty to shell out 8k more. You have much much better configs available at much cheaper price. I suggested probook as OP doesn't wants a "superconfig" machine, rather a peace of mind with gaming as low priority. That's why I excluded dGPU.

PS: Newer Vaio E series are too expensive. :(

Thanks folks. The only thing about the Probook is that its from HP so I'm not sure about the overheating (have a HP and it has this problem where it gets very hot even with normal usage).

So I have been looking around and it seems here in India if I want a 3rd Gen Core i5, I would need to opt for a Ultrabook which are all in the range of ~55K. :( but I'm not sure if these are VFM or not? Any opinions?

Thanks folks. The only thing about the Probook is that its from HP so I'm not sure about the overheating (have a HP and it has this problem where it gets very hot even with normal usage).

So I have been looking around and it seems here in India if I want a 3rd Gen Core i5, I would need to opt for a Ultrabook which are all in the range of ~55K. :( but I'm not sure if these are VFM or not? Any opinions?

Probook is a premium line up and AFAIK and have experienced, probook doesn't heats up like other dv6 counterparts. Even dv6 has improved a lot after 2nd gen iteration. Probook is a safe bet.

Pick this Vaio SVS13112EN against all ultrabooks. Too good for price.

Well its a personal POV and I don't think so.

you have the Asus 13" lappy so you can give a good explanation if 13" is easy to use or not. actually its an odd size as its bigger than 11" and slightly smaller than 14" so if keyboard is not a tried and tested one, it'll feel cramped at the least.

you have the Asus 13" lappy so you can give a good explanation if 13" is easy to use or not. actually its an odd size as its bigger than 11" and slightly smaller than 14" so if keyboard is not a tried and tested one, it'll feel cramped at the least.

Well @sam811 as I said, it mostly depends on POV of a user. Plus your usage type counts too, like any artistic work on a 13"3 or 14" would be actually "cramped" Plus working a LOT on excel sheets may be monotonous due to exXxtra scrolling. I used a 14" for almost 6 months and comparing with 13"3, there is very minimal difference, but noticeable. This may be due to form factor of my laptop as slimness had led to overall size reduction giving a feeling of "small".

About keyboard, I tell you, Asus has not compromised with keyboard (thank god). Its not at all cramped like Dell. So, keyboard may spoil your experience, but thankfully its not the case in my laptop ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i think @ajmeyn, better get a hands on. cause after all he have to make sure the keyboard doesn't feel too small for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest the ThinkPad Edge E420 Lenovo ThinkPad Edge Series E420 (1141-FVQ) Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Lenovo Notebook
You will have to add more RAM and your own OS. DDRIII RAM is not that expensive right now. I am sure if you go out into the market, you ll find the laptop itself cheaper than on flipkart.

The ThinkPad Edge has a good keyboard, matte display, and the build quality and warranty and reliability of the ThinkPad series.
I think the Pro Book has a matte display but not sure. But the VAIO won't have a matte display.

I was initially leaning toward the Lenovo E420 but they have not upgraded the CPU's to the 3rd Gen so far. And I would really like to get a 3rd gen i5 (mainly for HD 4000 and a little more future proofing), hence have crossed that off now.

Also from my searching so far apparently in India only Dell and HP seems to have the 3rd gen i5's in normal 14" laptops.

I am not sure if you can find the HP ProBook with a 3rd Gen i5 right now in India. As for DELL, the Latitude series is expensive and they try to compete with the ThinkPad T series. That leaves you with the ThinkPad Edge series considering the fact that you want an anti-glare screen and a good keyboard. The Inspiron keyboard just doesn't cut it. The build quality of the Inspiron is also nothing to write home about.

I am not sure if you can find the HP ProBook with a 3rd Gen i5 right now in India. As for DELL, the Latitude series is expensive and they try to compete with the ThinkPad T series. That leaves you with the ThinkPad Edge series considering the fact that you want an anti-glare screen and a good keyboard. The Inspiron keyboard just doesn't cut it. The build quality of the Inspiron is also nothing to write home about.
The Edge series in India are also only available with the 2nd Gen i5 so that is out. Unfortunately only the Inspiron seems to be available with the 3rd Gen i5 (Latitude on their website is also only available with 2nd Gen) right now (which as you've mentioned has a glossy screen). But then it looks I'm almost out of options now. :(

I've just got back after visiting a couple of shops and apparently no one has any 14" laptops with core i5 (except the Dell showroom who told me they could get it in a week after I order).

So I started looking at some 15.6" and found this Samsung NP300E5X-S01IN (and NP300E5X-A01IN without the 610M dGPU). It didn't feel too heavy and doesn't look as bulky as the other 15.6" laptops. Does anyone have either of these laptops and if so could you please list the pro's and cons?

Thanks!

Back