PC Peripherals Need 250gig SATA 2.0

Vandal

Skilled
Guys I need a 250 GB SATA 2.0 drive (with 16 MB buffer would be GR8)...

Brands:
Hitachi
Western Digital
Maxtor

in that order of preference....
Pricing of the models also please??
thanks...

Depends from where are you buying?

From USA then id suggest go for the Hitachi's or Western Digitals.

Maxtor sucks. Model no's .. Search on Newegg.com ;)... A lil efffort pays off..

goldenfrag said:
Depends from where are you buying?
From USA then id suggest go for the Hitachi's or Western Digitals.
Maxtor sucks. Model no's .. Search on Newegg.com ;)... A lil efffort pays off..

buying it right here in India.....
If I were in US I'd have used newegg without posting the query over here......
Thanks anyway......

Then get the Hitachi.

Or rather a Samsung (much better service)

The Western Digital's bought here are said to be nalla :S.

The WD Caviar SE are the only drives available locally which seem to have 16mb cache as well as SATA 11 - BUT - all the dealers I spoke to say that WD warranties in India SUX !!!

The Hitachi's are SATA 11 but have 8mb cache - BUT - they are tested as one of the fasteest drives around - nowdays I always recommend Hitachi as the one to buy. The newer Hitchi model T7K250 series are the best but these dont seem to be available here - what we get here is the older version which are the 7K250 seriies which are pretty good too.

Another option are the Maxor Maxline 111 drives - these are enterprise class drives with double the normal MTBF - I am running a Maxline 11 right now - solid drive !!! The Maxline 111 and the DM 10 have both got 16mb cache but are SATA 1 drives. Both the DM10 and Maxline 111 have a good reputation in the Storagereview forums.

I would not use a Seagate or Samsung HDD as my main drive - no real reason - just dont care for them.

zhopudey said:
No, he's been saying that since a long time now. Hes had a few maxtors die on him.

Sir-jee ... what I must have mentioned was that the DM9's are the screwed up drives - 2 of which I now have and 2 of which died on me early this year. Maxtor screwed up on the DM8 and DM9 and made good with the DM10. I rememeber mentioning in another thread that the DM9 was bad and the DM10 was reported in the Storagereview forum to ge good. But after my 2 dead DM9 and the third showing bad sectors I will not buy Maxtors. If you read thru the posts at Storagereview forum you will come to this same conclusion.

I wanted to EDIT my last post and add this but it EDIT does not work anymore. :(
OK Zhop BUD... here is my post about the Maxtor drives .... check what I said in there....

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/47636-post2.html

and here.....

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/134341-post18.html

and in YOUR thread "Another adventure begins for me".....

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/104795-post9.html

The DM10 and Maxline 111 are reported as good drives by the users in the Storagereview forums ..... but I have a mental block against Maxtor because of the problems I have had with their drives.

i got a hitachi and seagate 250gig both,both are 8mb sata,trust me the 16mb buffer doesent help much,see reviews
btw i love these and id say i prefer the hitachi over the seagate :D

SoulFire said:
i got a hitachi and seagate 250gig both,both are 8mb sata,trust me the 16mb buffer doesent help much,see reviews
btw i love these and id say i prefer the hitachi over the seagate :D

OK cabby decided, it'll go into the P180....so I have space for 2 more HDD's what do u guys say will 4*160 gigs be betta than 2*250 drives... talkin hitachi here
with RAID 0+1 (or 1+0)

Back