Storage Solutions NAS For My Home

I did not know this, this is stupid. So I can only backup as much as the storage I have on my PC? What's even the point of it then.
Well, they just are trying to find ways to limit people from uploading a massive tonne of things onto their storage which they then can't redownload in case they choose to stop the subscription., Also, Backblaze should be considered more of a redundant off-site back up rather than ur primary backup.

I did not know this, this is stupid. So I can only backup as much as the storage I have on my PC? What's even the point of it then.
This is to prevent abuse of service by those having 100TB+ plex nas (so connect NAS once, take unlimited backup then disconnect NAS & treat backblaze as sort of unlimited cloud storage) They have backup plans that are more flexible but they also cost more than their personal backup unlimited plan. You get 30 days grace period within which if you reconnect the drive (internal or external usb) then its backup won't be deleted & for most ppl they rarely disconnect any drive from their pc for more than 30 days. You do have the option to pay more to extend this grace period from 30 days up to 1 year but at that point its cost will be quite a bit more though still within reason for the unlimited feature it has.

GUYS PLEASE RECOMMEND BETWEEN SYNOLOGY DS 423+ AND DS 923+
also recommend hardrives for NAS
seagate exos or ironwolf?

also state if you know of any shop/ distributor that can provide the best deal for harddrives.

For your usecase, DS 423+

The main difference between these two models is that 923+ supports expansion unit. But you're unlikely to need that and even if you do, they are so expensive, you might as well just buy another NAS device.'

Look at this, this is the kind of expansion unit you can connect to 923+

This costs 60k. Essentially it's just a container for 5 hard drives, and costs more than 423+ itself.

To be clear, the 923+ does have a better CPU. But you're unlikely to need or use it. I have DS220+. I run 6 docker containers on my NAS and few scripts. It is a downloading machine as well as media server. And I have never felt the need for more horsepower.

+1 on DS423+ Because of the hardware transcoding, I don't know if you download movies from torrents, but if you do, you will definitely want to play with Plex / Jellyfin in the future to make your own Netflix like server since it is super easy.

Exos 8 TB is ~24,177
https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Exos-ST8000NM000A-Drive-Internal/dp/B07SW18G1K
IronWolf 8 TB ~24,000
https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Iron-Wolf-Internal-Drive/dp/B07SZVVBBK
Since the price are similar, I'd go for the Exos in this case, or you can check here too
https://techenclave.com/threads/large-capacity-hdds-6tb-20tb.217402/

So one thing to keep in mind will be what drive size you are buying. Instead of populating all the limited 4 slots with say 4x 4 TB, you might want to buy 2x 8TB since the Synology raid has an upgrade function that you can later add the same HDD capacity and upgrade the storage without hassle.

I made a mistake of getting 4 TB ironwolf and make it primary drive on my synology. Should've gone for 8 TB instead. Now I can't use any of disc replication feature unless I want to limit capacity to 4 tb only.
TLDR: Get higher capacity initially, even if you think you won't need it. Later it becomes easy to expand. This is for synology only.

I made a mistake of getting 4 TB ironwolf and make it primary drive on my synology. Should've gone for 8 TB instead. Now I can't use any of disc replication feature unless I want to limit capacity to 4 tb only.
Same. I have a 4 TB and a 12 TB drive. I have to use it as regular storage, no RAID.

Will remedy the situation when I move to a 4-bay NAS, but will have to wait for it to get cheaper. No way I'm paying 50k for something which can be done with a ₹10k used PC or NUC.

I got a DS923+ from PrimeABGB along with two WD Ultrastar 12TB drives and it is by far one of the nicest purchases I've ever made. Apart from backing up and freeing up space on my cloud storage accounts, I also wanted to obtain and preserve high-quality movies to watch on my OLED TV and it has served me well for that use case. While I pay for subs, they are very inconsistent w.r.t streaming quality and content availability which was driving me nuts. Also the matter of being able to stream when internet is iffy or unavailable.

I run mine on SHR so I have half the space available now for use and I've used up ~7.4TB already. I do wish I bought bigger drives but the cost was already too high and I still have 2 slots so I plan to get more drives soon. I run few docker containers like Overseerr, couple scripts and apps on it and it runs just fine and I believe for the average user (and even Pros), Synology UX and apps is very well done. It's not going to be uber smooth in the default config with 4GB RAM since I did notice Overseerr being able to load and serve images a lot faster when I run it from my XPS but I'm fine with the perf difference for now and it doesn't bog down the whole system.

I've also had a few unexpected power outages and the NAS booted back up just fine and the content also didn't suffer because of it though better to plug it into a UPS.

I'd personally recommend Synology for getting started and how much you'd want is totally dependent on your use cases. I do recommend running in RAID mode if the data is important to you or if you think it'll become important down the line. Most folks think it's okay if they lose the data before it actually happens and they cry over it and pay a lot of amount to recover it.

One warning though: Synology has lately been trying more and more to sway users to buying their own expensive memory and storage. Even though other storage/memory options continue to work fine, they keep nagging their users about it and such moves obviously raise concern whether they'll move to completely block 3P vendors and enforce some proprietary limits going forward. Right now, it's just the equivalent of Microsoft nagging Chrome users to switch to Edge but thought if you're spending a lot of money, you should be aware of this matter.

Last edited:
For your usecase, DS 423+

The main difference between these two models is that 923+ supports expansion unit. But you're unlikely to need that and even if you do, they are so expensive, you might as well just buy another NAS device.'

Look at this, this is the kind of expansion unit you can connect to 923+

This costs 60k. Essentially it's just a container for 5 hard drives, and costs more than 423+ itself.

To be clear, the 923+ does have a better CPU. But you're unlikely to need or use it. I have DS220+. I run 6 docker containers on my NAS and few scripts. It is a downloading machine as well as media server. And I have never felt the need for more horsepower.
Interesting, can you give some examples on the containers you run, just to get an idea of the perf? And did you upgrade the memory?

examples on the containers
Transmission, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sonarr, Syncthing, 2 self-created Django/Python applications in Docker, and finally Homer to create an easy access home page with links to all these.

A couple of other containers usually run when I'm trying something out.

I have upgraded the RAM to 6 GB, 2 GB inbuilt + 4 GB old module from my laptop.

Transmission, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sonarr, Syncthing, 2 self-created Django/Python applications in Docker, and finally Homer to create an easy access home page with links to all these.

A couple of other containers usually run when I'm trying something out.

I have upgraded the RAM to 6 GB, 2 GB inbuilt + 4 GB old module from my laptop.

Assuming PostgreSQL and MySQL are used for work, any reason why you would put it on a NAS and not on a VPS?

Assuming PostgreSQL and MySQL are used for work, any reason why you would put it on a NAS and not on a VPS?
Nah, MySQL is used to sync Kodi across multiple devices. PostgreSQL was mainly for learning purposes. Now I just use it to store some data which is scraped from the web using Python scripts.

This is my for my mothers use mostly she wants to have all photos and videos in one place [ that includes some wedding function albums too those are 5-6 TB in size]

Assuming 5-6TB in uncompressed, would suggest to check how much does the size become if compressed.

Would suggest to upload around a dozen or so photos to your google photos account with storage saver enabled and check size after downloading.

For the videos, would suggest to upload to youtube and redownload to check (yt-dlp, with webm) to understand the sizing

With this, you will have an idea if you can get away with cloud storage or not. Ideally, I would put in OneDrive since in shared, cost will come to 1000/user/year at max, lower in some cases
Backblaze personal plan requires a windows pc & covers all the drives connected internally or via usb & 30 days grace period before the stuff on any disconnected drive is deleted permanently from backup. Their restore capability also has issue over 1TB restore & majority of there consumers which are in US choose the "send a drive home with backup & return" option.

I think in his usecase, he will need to use B2 - as i doubt will be a windows machine. We have used to for keeping some 35TB of data (all virtual machine backups over several years) and has worked extremely well for use.

To avoid misuse. You can do workarounds like mounting as iscsi or something

I think in his usecase, he will need to use B2 - as i doubt will be a windows machine. We have used to for keeping some 35TB of data (all virtual machine backups over several years) and has worked extremely well for use.
B2 is definitely better but costlier as well. As for restore on personal plan, the main issue is restoring in multiples of 500GB pre-defined archive files.

Hi, my apologies to OP first for hijacking the thread, but since the discussion was ongoing, would like to add my queries here.
I have bought an used HP Prodesk 600 G1 SFF for the purpose of setting up a NAS. It comes with 8GB ram DDR3, 500GB HDD. Bought it as i got it cheap, 5k for the complete set including monitor (21 inch) and wired mouse and keyboard
My requirement:
1. we are a family of 6 adults I want to backup the mobile photos here, each one privately.
2. Also wants to backup photos on my PC. at present i have 5 TB worth of photos and videos.
I want a facility similar to google photos for both options.

I want raid setup for data security aas well.
i have never done the setup before. So requesting for guidance, on how to setup the whole process.

I want raid setup for data security aas well.
RAID is for redundancy not backup. A system running RAID-1/5/10 etc simply means that within the acceptance limit of no. of drive failures for that RAID the system will keep running like normal. Other than that, if some accidental data deletion or some virus/malware/ransomware corrupted the data then RAID won't help at all. A proper backup means copy of the important data in a drive not permanently connected to the system & preferably stored in a separate physical location.

Back