[MTNL]Wifi router setup but no net access

raksrules

Elite
Currently the setup at my home is that i have a DLink MTNL modem and till now am using internet directly connecting through LAN. Now i have a TPLink WR350g+ wifi router and this is what i did.

1. Kept the MTNL setup as it is. I am aware that the id and password is already entered in the MTNL modem. Also i suppose the password is my CA Number (found on Bill), correct me if i am wrong.

2. Now i connected the LAN cable from MTNL modem to the wifi router and then connected the router to my laptop using LAN cable to do inital setup.

3. Punched in the URL 192.168.1.1 to access the router settings. Here in router i went to WAN settings and put the id and password (2898xxxx@a and <CA Number), also setup the WPA security settings.

4. After this i saved the setting and so the modem refreshed and restarted

(i think) and the WAN setting page is still showing 'Connecting....' and never connects. Also tried connecting the lappy to router which got connected but net access is not available.

What am i doing wrong ???

I guess you need to setup a static IP address i.e. configure it manually..

I also have a WiFi router on MTNL connection.. Dynamic IP won't work with it.. I needed to setup a static IP to get it to work..

Try putting these nos:

IP Address: 192.168.1.xx

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server: 203.94.227.70, 203.94.243.70

^^ Can you tell me where exactly am i supposed to do anything ??? Do i have to touch anything or any existing setting in the MTNL modem or just attach the router to the modem as i am doing the laptop now ???

Any other suggestions to make this thing work will be appreciated. The wifi router when checked using the ip 192.168.1.1 shows that it is only "Connecting......" and never gets connected to internet. Forget using the internet using the laptop through wifi :(

I have entered correct MTNL id and password in the router also.

This is what you need.

1. Set your MTNL router to autodial.. this is something you need to figure out.
2. Connect the LAN cable from modem to WiFi router to the LAN port not WAN / Internet port.
3. While setting up your laptop's connection set the gateway to be the MTNL modem's private IP, and the DNS servers that MTNL gives you.
4. You should be pretty much be able to access internet after this.
5. Ensure that the modem's internal and WiFi router's internal IP is different; but still on the same subnet.

@"Connect the LAN cable from modem to WiFi router to the LAN port not WAN / Internet port." -
My question is "can I connect other lan port on the router to connect a computer to access internet????

Back