MTNL ADSL2: My Experience So Far

I'm from Delhi and got a new MTNL Triband 256kbps DSL connection on 17th May. My experience so far:

Applying:
Getting an account was pretty easy. There is a form available at MTNL telephone exchanges and Sanchar Haats. Just fill up the form specifying the phone number you want the connection on, the plan, optional components like dsl modem and extra email IDs and IPs.I applied for the Triband 590 Night Unlimited plan alongwith MTNL supplied dsl modem. The connection was provided in the evening the same day. However, the installation charges was a waste. I did almost all of it myself since the pan chewing MTNL 'engineer' was having problems finding the USB port and the keys on the the keyboard.

ADSL Modem/Router
DLink DSL-502T was supplied by MTNL for Rs.180 per month. Don't know anything about ADSL or Routers, I'll quote from the product blurb:

*10/100Mbps fast ehternet or USB Dual Interface
*Integrated Firewall
*http://www.dlink.com.au/default.aspx?FolderID=224

Wiring and Installation
There's internal wiring for telephone in my house with two intruments connected. The lineman changed the wiring such that first it comes to the modem, direct fom the source (underground) and from modem onwards, connected to internal wiring. His logic was, modem should receive the wiring before any other instrument. However, I did not find any speed difference either ways. Also, having two phones or havnig a single phone on the line also made no effect on speed. Will look into it closely later on.

Ping
kawabonka.com
Pinging 203.122.58.142 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 203.122.58.142: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=120
Reply from 203.122.58.142: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=120
Reply from 203.122.58.142: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=120
Reply from 203.122.58.142: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=120
Ping statistics for 203.122.58.142:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 82ms, Average = 47ms
Downloading
Downloaded G3Torrent installer (3567 kilobytes) from http://www.nchc.org.tw/
Average Speed after initial burts was around 27kilobytes per second.

MTNL Test Site http://mtnl.net.in/test/index.htm
Downloads a 1.73MB Real Media file
Average Speed around 25kilobyes per second.

(PS: 33 seconds mtnl video ad, yuch)

Speed test at dslreports.com
Server selected: speakeasy.net, Seattle, USA
Your download speed : 188365 bps, or 183 kbps.
A 22.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 171058 bps, or 167 kbps.
P2P
No Apparent port-blocking
WinXP Pro SP2 tcpip.sys patched

Limewire
Settings:
Connection Speed: Cable/DSL
Ultrapeer Capabilities Disabled
Download Bandwidth 100%
Upload Bandwidth: 17 kBps

1 mp3 file 3,686kB
16 Cable/DSL Speed Sources
24-25kBps

BitComet 0.57
Global Max Download Rate: No Limit
Global Max Upload Rate: 15kBps
Seeds/Peer: 16/226 Connected: 16/38
Download Speed: 20-25kBps
Upload Speed: 12-15kBps

Game:
Searched for multiplayer games from inside these two game demos:

Halo Demo
halo.exe 1.0.0.578
34 Servers with pings 250 to 484.

Quake III Arena Demo
version: Q3 1.11 win x-86 Nov 29,1999
System > Network
5 Servers with pings 220 to 400.

Customer Support:

If you are interested in this Night Unilimited plan,wait some time. Why? Becuase the application forms are all old, this package is not reflected in any options. I filled up the package required on the basis of package name reported in the newspaper ad (TriB 590NU) and was also assured by the telephone exchange Comercial Officer that this package is available with immediate effect. When I login to my account however , I find the idiots have given me DSL 399 plan so that even my night downloads are being counted against total MB used. And I have already used ~600MB in one day while the limit in DSL399 is only 400MB :( Now running from pillar to post and must have made nearly 20 calls in one day but nobody is willing to help...not our depratment, don't know anything, call him, don't call me...hell they are not even prepared to receive a written complaint at the telephone exchange. Nobody know anything about this plan yet...so BEWARE.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

what night plan ?

damn man looks like u got a extra 400 rupee to pay
EDIT, r u sure u surfing at night time, the timings r pretty ghey

2. ** Night Unlimited timings are 0000 hrs to 0800 hrs.

and its a limited time only, which means it will probably be canceled soon,
if the timigs were around 12 hrs, and not a temp package, then i would have bought it in a heart beat. but still 8 hrs its not so bad, plus it will help me control my internet addiction, but LIMITED TIME ONLY, that gets on my nerves

good review there hellfire ... hope u resolve the issue in your favour. i was too planning to go for the same scheme , lets see whats up with mumbai MTNL .

sunnydiv said:
damn man looks like u got a extra 400 rupee to pay

Like hell I'll pay 400 :mad:

and its a limited time only, which means it will probably be canceled soon

Where did you read that???

The ad clearly says
500MB * + Night Unlimited
Unlimited free internet usage (data download) night time between 0000hrs to 0800 hrs. However day time Internet usage (data download) 0800hrs to 2400 hrs is counted against monthly free data download limit.

Apparently, the booking period is limited as of now (17 May to 16 Aug 2005), but the plan period is not.

delhiboy1000 said:
@hellfire: Hey is ur MTNL problem sorted out?? they charging u normally now??

It is sorted only to the extent that my account is now showing proper package (i.e. TriB 590NU instead of DSL399). That too after a hell lot of trouble and complaints to Executive Director, Area General Manager and General Manager (VAS & Broadband). The result, package is corrected but there is a group at my local exchange that is pissed off at me for involving GM . They had the balls to accuse me of making unjustified comments to GM mother****ers :mad:

Moreover there's still a lot of trouble. Firstly, it's still adding the night usage (0000 - 0800) to total data downloaded.

Secondly, there's something way too wrong with the MTNL usage logs. I schedule downloads set to stop and turn off computer at 0745hrs and yet the logs are consistently claiming usage until 0900 - 0940. Complete lie! Thats something I never expected from a sarkari company. And whats more, the log shows the usage in one complete chunk of time eg. 0000 to 1000, and not as e.g. 0000 to 0800 and then 0800 to 1000. The question is, how will they charge if total usage from 0000 to 1000hrs is shown as 400MB? Are they going to charge me by calculating an average for 10hrs and applying it for 2 hrs (0800-1000). Nobody knows :(

The standard saying seems to be computer ne record kia hay, use kia hoga tabhi to add hua, computer galat thoda add karega...may nahi jaanta etc.. It seems the easy way is to blame the computer or rely on the computer's 'spotless' accuracy...Dammit a computer is as good as the person coding it....
Latest is, that to claim free night usage, you got to Power Off the modem before 0000 and turn power back on some minutes after 0000. Similarly, turn mains power off, minutes before 0800. There goes the scheduled download out of the window if I have to stay awake till 12-12.30 at night to power cycle the modem :no: . And no, even this does not work as claimed but atleast it means MTNL is aware that their log keeping is stupid.

And the icing. The connection has gone kaboom ever since I did a factory reset on the router. So its not working for a day now. From what I could find out, WAN settings should be retreived automatically from the ISP but they are not. And all I have now is a complaint number for the last 30hrs or so. Another complaint to the GM is in the pipeline :eek:hyeah: .

Seriously, quite a disgusting experience and I'm already having second thoughts about continuing with the service (now that Airtel has come as far as GTK road Azadpur area they might move a bit farther north, north-west soon).

Last edited by a moderator:
try entering ur username and password again...cause if u do a factory reset u will have to enter the username and password again.....

Back