Mobo Proc Case around 30k

sarang

Skilled
Strange things happen and has been happening to me recently. One such things allows me to upgrade a few things in my rig. Specifically I'll be left only with my GPU, PSU, RAM and SSD + HDDs. That means with some savings pumped in I can go Sandy Bridge. The value of upgrades as of now I've pegged at 30K can trudge north a bit if needed but I don't see why right now.

The customary template is pasted below. Apart from that what I am out to discuss is following.

1. Will my current RAM work fine coupled with a 2x4 module (effectively 12GB) or am I better off getting another 2x2 GB module of the same model?

2. Availability of the Asus Mobos?

3. How easy will be OC'ing the 2500K, considering its multiplier unlocked? If its a no-brainer then I don't mind spending the extra 1K. Otherwise how bad is the 2500 (non K)? (PS: I used to OC a few years back but don't get much tweaking time these days :ashamed:)

4. The biggest question is the case!

Moving from a 590 I've learnt a few lessons which I'd leverage while purchasing my next case. Considering the mobo+Proc cost me about 25K (worst case) I still have about 5 - 7K to invest in a case.

What I need different from the 590 is

1. Ease of installation for a aftermarket cooler.

2. A dedicated place to install SSD,

3. Enough margin at the back-plate to accommodate the 24Pin Cable without forcing any bends.

3. e-Sata and/or USB 3.0 port.

The customary template

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 32K

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

1. CPU - Intel i5 750

2. Motherboard - Asus P7P55D-Dlx

3. GPU - GTX 280

4. RAM - GSkill Ripjaws 1600 2x2

5. Monitor - Dell U2410

6. SMPS - XFX Black Edition 850

7. SSD - Intel X-25M G2 80

8. Case - CM Centurion 590

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. Monitor - Dell U2410

2. SMPS - XFX Black Edition 850

3. RAM - GSkill Ripjaws 1600 2x2

4. GPU - GTX 280

5. SSD - Intel X-25M G2 80

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - i5 - 2500 / 2500K (Open to discussion)

2. Motherboard - P8P67 -Pro / Delux / Sabertooth (Open to discussion)

3. GPU - GTX280

4. (please mention the rest in above format)

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

1. GPU - either GTX 570 or 6970

2. RAM - Need suggestions

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Pune

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Development

2. Gaming

3. Music

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Would prefer Asus.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Mostly FPS

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming - 1920x1200

2. Desktop - 1920x1200

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. Depends on how simple its gonna be

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 64 bit

2. Multiple Win2K8 VMs

Re: Mobo Proc Case around 30

gpu - gtx300

Nvidia never released a GTX300 GPU... :S

Heres my suggestion

Processor Intel Core i5 2500k 11250

Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro 12000

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB 2800

Cabinet CM 690 II Advanced 5400

Cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2 3750

Total 35200

4. The biggest question is the case!

Moving from a 590 I've learnt a few lessons which I'd leverage while purchasing my next case. Considering the mobo+Proc cost me about 25K (worst case) I still have about 5 - 7K to invest in a case.

What I need different from the 590 is

1. Ease of installation for a aftermarket cooler.

2. A dedicated place to install SSD,

3. Enough margin at the back-plate to accommodate the 24Pin Cable without forcing any bends.

3. e-Sata and/or USB 3.0 port.

My Answer for this query: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6638

As u already have G.Skill Ripjaws so i wud suggest u to add more 2 sticks of the same manufacturer... and IMO 8GB RAM wud b more than enough for ur usage

The case i've suggested comes wid "2 in 1 2.5" and 1.8" SSD Drive Support"

The case comes wid front e-Sata port but doesn't come wid USB3 port... :(

Has pretty good space and airflow too...

Checkout this review: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1173/1/

And as far as overclocking is concerned, u can easily overclock i5 2500k by just increasing the clock multiplier... and ofcourse u've to increase vcore voltage wid pll voltage also if u r looking to overclock ur CPU to reach that golden 5GHz... But IMO its not gud for everyday usage so i wud advice to overlock the CPU to 4.2 to 4.4GHz :)

Hades. said:
Nvidia never released a GTX300 GPU... :S

Lol dunno where the +20 came from :p (Edited now)

The 690 advanced is surely an interesting, option. I was even looking at the Lancool Dragonlord K62 it almost fits the budget and reviews seem to be awesome too. Only issue is it does not have USB3 or eSATA up front. Another likeable suggestion is the Noctua, didn't think of a aftermarket cooler since wasn't planning to OC much. This leads to my other question about the 2500 vs 2500k. How easy/tough would OCing this thing would be? If it's gonna be the good ol' increase thy multiplier n be happy stuff then I think I'll bite the bullet and go the 2500k way.

Cool, then the CPU is 2500k, mobo Asus P8P67 - Pro. and adding another 2x2 Gigs of Ripping apart Jaws. The cooler is something i can pick-up while in consumerland so i'll keep it outside the current budget.

That leaves us with around 7K for the case. Any options apart from the CM690 here? Moving to 690 from a 590 doesn't exactly ring the word "upgrade" with a capital U :p. That does not mean the 690 advanced is a shoddy case in anyway. It's just that the K62 starts too feel more awesome while looking from the 5400 INR price point of the 690.

Thanks vivacious_tg and Hades. Had a good look at the EVO and came away unimpressed. The Phantom looks great functionally but the entire plastic exteriors are kinda crazy and with a 2 year old bomb around the house I'd rather not risk it. However I'm still keeping the Phantom as an option.

Where has Phoenix vanished? I was wondering if I could notch up a Lian-Li or at least a Lancool? Any chances of that? Lian has already moved all the cases to USB3 and the tool-less mechanism is the most functional we've seen so far.

^^ u look more inclined towards lian li cabinets... shoot a PM to The Sorcerer... he himself has a LL cabby i think he may help u to get a good cabby... And he is pretty more knowledgeable than us also :p

Hades. said:
^^ u look more inclined towards lian li cabinets... shoot a PM to The Sorcerer... he himself has a LL cabby i think he may help u to get a good cabby... And he is pretty more knowledgeable than us also :p
:D yeah, isn't there something too exotic about the Lian Li name? As of now in non Lian Li options I am looking at the 690 II Advanced, Phantom, and Antec DF-30

sarang said:
:D yeah, isn't there something too exotic about the Lian Li name? As of now in non Lian Li options I am looking at the 690 II Advanced, Phantom, and Antec DF-30

Features wise 690 II and Phantom are way too ahead of DF-30... :)

Hades. said:
Features wise 690 II and Phantom are way too ahead of DF-30... :)
Yeah the entire Antec entry line-up is kinda bland on features. Only thing that i liked about the DF is the build quality. Have seen it in person and it wipes the floor with 590/690/HAF

sarang said:
Yeah the entire Antec entry line-up is kinda bland on features. Only thing that i liked about the DF is the build quality. Have seen it in person and it wipes the floor with 590/690/HAF
it has bad looks accept it...:p I wud advice u to buy a case which looks good has good features and build quality :)

Hmm, on a side note The Sorcerer hates PMs. He's chosen not to accept PMs. So lets just wait for him to pitch in.

^^

Why isn't the NZXT Tempest EVO in the running, sure it is no looker but it does a great job of keeping the components within cool, if you want I'll PM you, a CPU-Z screenshot from my friend who is using a AMD Phenom IIx6 on stock HSF and tempratures are low. -- NZXT Tempest EVO Review - Page 1/6 | techPowerUp
NZXT Tempest Evo « XSReviews

Plus for a mid-tower having E-ATX motherboard support is great value on a side-note though it has some issues with front panel headers having a static issue. Rest configuration @Hades has provided is powerful infact hyper-power to quote NIN.

Hmm, taking a good look ath the EVO again. Somehow did not find it appealing enough at the fist look so kinda decided against it earlier. Btw any idea if anyone is still selling the Lian-Li here?

EDIT: Just had a word with Phoenix (aka Sudhir).
Apparent from the discussion above, I am slightly biased towards the Lian Li / Lancool stuff. I could not find any reviews for the A7FN (Lian Li) and it kinda fits my budget. Anyone who owns an A7FN here? Would like to know any obvious pros/cons of the case. Otherwise I am mostly sold on either the A7FN or the Dragonlord K62.

Budget around 8-10K. Options available - Mentioned in the thread and one more that i considered, Corsair Graphite. None that I liked as much as the LLs however only options in stock are close to the 13K mark hence outta budget. Hence settling for the second best that is the Lancool .

Back