Mid-range LCDs demystified

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
1) In context to printed images (Clarkvision). Printers preserve the most detail when they are used to print at the highest possible dpi.

2) The "maximum" detail is perceived not with the eye at rest, but by accomodating the lens of the eye i.e. squinting which fatigues the eye and can cause eye strain or worse. For something like a monitor which depending on your job, you have to watch for hours, you'll want something which requires minimal effort.

3) Not everyone sits at 20 inches to view a monitor or watch HD movies.

4) Your powerful graphic card won't be powerful long enough as is the current trend with GPU hardware. Your monitor will outlive your GPU. Why not buy something which would serve you better for the long term?

5) If its a trade off between the screen real estate and "super high resolutions", I would prefer more screen real estate.

And my response to all of those...

1) While the author of that particular article might have used prints to come to his conclusion, the whole point of it was to find the resolution of the human eye - not "what resolution of printed material is best". Besides, you can't blame him for using printed material, seeing as how the most displays available for purchase come nowhere near the sort of detail (DPI, PPI, whatever) that a modern printer can achieve.

2) I admit that your point is valid, but does anyone have any clue as to what exactly is the resolution of the eye 'at rest' insofar as reading textual / viewing movies / viewing pictures / gaming is?? Besides, when moving from a 22" at 1680x1050 to a 21.5" at 1920x1080, the DPI goes from 90 to 102 - an increase of 12 DPI or 13.3%... but still well away from the very commonly heard 300 DPI limit for human visual acuity.

3) Ignoring some information in favour of others doesn't really help your case... it's just childish. Clarkvision mentions a MASSIVE 530 DPI as being the upper limit at 20 inches, or 1.67 ft. I'll go out on a limb here and assume that most people sit 2.5-3.5 ft away from their monitors (I'm at the 2.9 ft mark). Common sense tells me that the figure isn't so different from clarkvision's test distance so as to render the result (and the conclusion I made in my previous post) irrelevant.

4) Isn't that statement in MY favour?? Yes, it is true that the capability of graphics cards (and the demands on them) are growing rapidly - and one of the things I've noted is that everyone seems to be focusing on the HD and beyond HD resolutions for gaming. While HD gaming has been hyped for a very long time, you have to admit that even mainstream cards are able to manage themselves at HD resolutions well enough (Please don't cite Crysis as an example to the 'otherwise'. Crysis is weird.). In any case, future graphics card will most certainly focus more and more on gaming at higher resolutions - not at staying in the same place. Why introduce a limit on your resolution if its likely that you'll get one or more powerful graphics cards during the lifetime of the monitor?

5) According to tvcalculator.com, when watching movies at 16:9 (or wider), the 21.5" 16:9 has greater area (albeit by a very small margin - 197.33 sq. in. vs 195.56 sq. in. for 16:9 source) than the 22". This means that...
a) Area is greater when watching movies.
b) Pixel depth is greater on the 21.5", plus 1080p is shown at native, and not downscaled like for 1680x1050.

And yeah, its true that I sound like I'm trying to justify my purchase. But the point is that gaming (+ movie watching) is quite possible (at high or highest settings) as long as the person in question is willing to spend on a graphics card that costs about as much as the monitor. For eg. BenQ E2200HD = 11.8k, ATI Radeon 4870 = 12.8k (saw the listing in dealer's paradise! sounds nice, eh? :) ) As for me, I just finished playing Mirror's edge at max everything (<sarcasm>except AA - only 4x - sigh...</sarcasm>) at full HD on a paltry Core 192 GTX 260. That's an AAA title - on a card who's value is less than the monitor's. :hap2:

Why are you being so defensive with your arguments and your purchase? The DPI / PPI argument is only one of the factors.

Surely if you care to see more detail in the content displayed on your monitor, DPI / PPI is just one of the several variables that should concern you. You know how absurd/"childish" it sounds when you start glorifying the image quality on a TN panel just because it has more pixel density, or saying that it has an awesome contrast and colors?

I don't care to win an argument here or start citing points in my favour (or your favour), I am only trying to look at all this with the perspective of an average buyer who is out to look for a TN panel.

Ignoring some information in favour of others doesn't really help your case... it's just childish. Clarkvision mentions a MASSIVE 530 DPI as being the upper limit at 20 inches, or 1.67 ft. ... Common sense tells me that the figure isn't so different from clarkvision's test distance so as to render the result (and the conclusion I made in my previous post) irrelevant.
Do you even understand the notion of bias in a statistical study? It has to take into account not a selected group of individuals but has to take into account cohorts and sample populations. You are basing your argument on a guy who just shows a pic to 10 or 20 people and concluding the same applies to monitors. That's childish.

According to tvcalculator.com, when watching movies at 16:9 (or wider), the 21.5" 16:9 has greater area (albeit by a very small margin - 197.33 sq. in. vs 195.56 sq. in. for 16:9 source) than the 22". This means that...

a) Area is greater when watching movies.

b) Pixel depth is greater on the 21.5", plus 1080p is shown at native, and not downscaled like for 1680x1050.
You mean this right

TV Calculator

tvcalculator12334210999mg1.png

Take a good look. Try going to some place where you can see all these monitors in a showroom and compare some 1080p /720p content in person.

Do you even understand the notion of bias in a statistical study?

No, actually I don't. I'm just applying what common sense I have.

Me look monitor. See prices. See 21.5 inch. See big big res than slightly bigger same price monitor. Me pick 21.5. :tongue:

Are yar, stop bein' so serious. I'm not being defensive. I just like a good argument. ;-)

Besides, I think I've already made my point - I'm just sayin you're sorta overlooking the 'advantage' p.o.v of full HD on these things. I.M.H.O full HD (and beyond - 16:9) is the way to go... I can't imagine who thought up the weird 16:10 ratio. The most popular wide format content is 16:9 (or wider) movies... so.. er... why bother with something close and yet, not it.

Take a good look. Try going to some place where you can see all these monitors in a showroom and compare some 1080p /720p content in person.

Why do you mention 720p? I have seen 720p vs 1080p on the BenQ I'm workin on. Quite frankly I find the 1080 to be quite a bit sharper. It's not exactly a <sarcasm> "WOAH-MY-GOD" sort of improvement </sarcasm>, but its definitely there. And unfortunately, where I live, no one stocks anything better than a veeery old LG 22. So ppl around here who want good stuff usually buy them because of recommendations, without ever seein' the thing.

Chill! ^_^

And that's exactly my point.

I am not against 16:9. Infact I myself would prefer to have a (large) 16:9.

You won't appreciate the "Full" in "FullHD" in a small, budget monitor.

Its just a marketing buzzword, a myth I seek to shatter. :)

Anyways, we have both made our points. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Me see e-IPS is coming. Me falls in love.

Thanks for this detailed review.I`m a gamer and I have decided to go for BenQ for the following reasons.

HDMI Port (to connect my 360)

1080 support (have a 4850)

0 inputlag

Paying 5k extra and loosing on the above just doesnt cut it for me. I dont mind sacrificing a little bit of height.

Dell 2408 WFP 24" ultra sharp Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor: 42000/-
Official quote from DELL is 35K inc everything....

which would be the best monitor at 10k
that has DVI port and the resolution i want is only 1680*1050.....
i dont care about its hight and with but i want it to be a 16:10
the size should be around 20-22 inches

hybrid black said:
which would be the best monitor at 10k
that has DVI port and the resolution i want is only 1680*1050.....
i dont care about its hight and with but i want it to be a 16:10
the size should be around 20-22 inches

Samsung 2233sw - 10k , look no further...

^^ :) everywhere people r talking abt this monitor only, some also said it has some bleeding problem. Which one do u recommend between these two, Dell S2209W or Samsung S2233SW ?

@ saqib , i'll go with Dell anyday , very very very bad experience in case of replacement of my screen from Samsung in Delhi.

Won't buy another Samsung Panel in the future.

hey sickizblank, on 13th April you said you will go for 2233SW and now you are saying you will never go for samsung...

can you elaborate what bad experience you had, cos i am thinking of going for samsung.

Back