Mba after Hotel management?

W@rrier

Adept
Holla,

I am almost finished with my 2nd year Bsc in Hospitality studies and is at the last leg of my Internship at Hyatt!

And to be honest i am disappointed and demotivated by the working hours which has to be put up by the staff here for the measly salary offered . I dont mind working my ass off daily 12-13 hours, but for a price.

So decided to go for an mba and as a simple trial even wrote the CAT last year(got 70%ile) , but the thing is that i dont know anyone whos did hotel management and gone for an MBA!

I am not sure, how my degree would fare in the job market.

What do you think?

Have a friend who did his hotel management. Then worked with Leela for sometime and gradually developed interest in communications. He chucked his job, opted for an MBA in advertising from symbiosis Pune. He is now placed with a social media agency in Mumbai for a not so great package you'd expect after an MBA.

Really doesn't matter if you are going to leave hospitality industry to do anything. Just be sure in your mind of what you like doing and pursue that. Money should be an eventuality. It will come to you. My friend may not be earning great money, but he's at peace with himself for those 10 odd hours he spends at work.

^ that was expected really.i know which college you are talking about and the packages it places are around 4 or 5.this is expected because media agencies usually place at a lower range from the start,but eventually with proper expericnce,they do achieve a proper mba package.

you can do mba after any degree basically if you have interest in management or say if you want to go in finance or marketing or even supply chain management.i will recommend you to apply for mba because more than a few friends of mine have done it after hotel management and they are doing just fine.Just read a few books and know what you are getting into.

I have a bunch of friends in the hotel management industry. As I understand it, your options are

-Put in two to three years of grunt work at the kitchen, front desk, housekeeping, F&B - the work hours and pay sucks but you have to grin and bear it if you want to go down this path. After that you try to shift into sales, revenue management, corporate communication. This isnt easy to accomplish but there are people who have done it

OR

-Go for an MBA. You can still retrun to the Hotel management industry, but in sales or revenues.

^ Right, that's why he has to choose whether he wants to remain in the hospitality industry. A lot of MBAs get hired by hotels for sales, marketing and revenues. Industry work ex will help in this case

but even if he works in the hospitality sector i do not think that experience will be considered during campus placements.he will still be sitting as a fresher.

It would .MBA at a good university is worth spending time and money . Rest all are not worth it. I know few people who have done MBA with no work experience from lame universities and today are working as mere sales executives.

It would .MBA at a good university is worth spending time and money . Rest all are not worth it. I know few people who have done MBA with no work experience from lame universities and today are working as mere sales executives.

absolutely brother!

got a few friends who did the same mistake and a few are doing mba again
123.gif

i think anything out of top 50 in india is not worth it.

As #[member='Metalspree'] said MBA from a lame university is not worth the money, ! I agree with that and i aint gonna go for an mba if i dont get into a 90%ile colg.

I know tons of freshers who did MBA from good colleges and is bagging 12-15 LPA.

Although the Time and pay sucks at hotels in India, I love the work
cry.gif
But the fact that i have to give up my personal life completely is putting me off.

So my idea is to do an Mba and later on, if i can return to Hotel indiustry with a good package !

It would really help if there is a member in our forum with first hand experience !

Another worry is that when i go for GD and PI for admissions, will my degree be a -ve point?

Do the top level colleges take guys from HM?

Back