Budget 71-90K Looking for a future proof 15"+ laptop <1 lakh

Chetan1991

Disciple
Hey guys. Looking to buy a new laptop. Light weight is not a priority, but upgradability and serviceability is. I owned a MSI laptop for last 7 years which started heating up few years ago and no change in thermal compound and even replacement of fans has helped. Plus taking out dozens of screws to service it is a pain.
Also I would like to explore Stable Diffusion etc. so it either needs a GPU with 8GB+ VRAM or Thunderbolt port.

I'm considering Acer Nitro 5 with 3070ti that's going for 88,000. Any other choices?

LOQ with R5 7640HS + 4060 + QHD panel + some discount coupon + card cashback + 3 year warranty & ADP should be around 90k, closer to 100k for R7 7840HS variant. But have to wait for 4 weeks. Check r/IndianGaming subreddit, someone somewhere posted more details on this.

The issue is that for many research-related workflows, gaming laptops are good options. Nvidia GPU and good cooling. Needed for MD simulations and ML/AI. Just for learning. Should I start a new thread?

None of the Gaming laptops provide good linux drivers as far as i know
Can't speak for legion but Asus does have a good community support.
I chose the TUF Dash F15 because of its Intel WiFi and PD charging. I wiped windows and installed Fedora with all the drivers under 25 minutes. That's me being lazy. One site that made me buy Asus was this- https://asus-linux.org/guides/

The only downside I find is the battery life, it's still not good but definitely better than windows. I control the fans easily with asusctl and switch GPU with supergfxctl (recent release doesn't even require manual intervention and power/fan profiles switch to appropriate modes when plugged in or not). There are also gnome extensions. This setup has been working without major issues for more than a year now

Last edited:
Can't speak for legion but Asus does have a good community support.
I chose the TUF Dash F15 because of its Intel WiFi and PD charging. I wiped windows and installed Fedora with all the drivers under 25 minutes. That's me being lazy. One site that made me buy Asus was this- https://asus-linux.org/guides/

The only downside I find is the battery life, it's still not good but definitely better than windows. I control the fans easily with asusctl and switch GPU with supergfxctl (recent release doesn't even require manual intervention and power/fan profiles switch to appropriate modes when plugged in or not). There are also gnome extensions. This setup has been working without major issues for more than a year now
That is really helpful. Can you link to the exact model?

Can you link to the exact model?
This was the model number- FX517ZC-HN107WS
I didn't want hefty GPU so a rtx 3050 was sufficient. The screen on series is plagued with light bleed issues buy that goes for any laptop having thin bezels.
These days a good balance would be a ryzen 7850HS or U variant (or those new Intel ultra XD) with 4050 or above having 70whr+ battery and Intel WiFi for no hassle.

Back