OC & Modding Logitech G502 Battery Replacement (Sanity Check)

SirVer

Disciple
Apologies if this isn't the right subforum for this, didn't see anything more appropriate.

I bought a second hand G502 Lightspeed on this forum a few months ago, and it works fine, but almost immediately started showing symptoms of a degraded battery i.e. wouldn't last more than a day or two even with light use. I've dealt with it by just plugging it in when the alert pops up, but it's getting annoying and I want to fix it for good. I considered trying to get Logitech to service it for a fee, but from what I see online they won't do that for out of warranty stuff. So I looked into doing it on my own.

I found a guide on iFixit easily enough, but the battery that's specified is pretty hard to track down - I can't find any shop in India that stocks it, and I'm not 100% sure I can trust the external sites that are offering it for non-obscene prices. I'll do that if there's no other option, but it occurred to me that if I can find a 3.7V battery that fits in the compartment, it should work fine, and this one seems like it fits the bill - no connector, but I should be able to solder the one from the old battery onto the new one. However, it only has 2 terminals/leads while the Logitech one has 3; from what I found on Google, it appears that that's probably for an internal thermistor for the battery's temperature regulation. My plan is to try and determine whether it's an NTC or a PTC thermistor on the current battery with a multimeter and connect it based on that: leave that pin open if it's an NTC, connect it to the positive terminal through a 100Ω resistor or something if it's a PTC. This will give it a permanent OK reading, but it should be okay for something that's not quick charging.

Does this seem like it would work? Am I overlooking anything important? Any advice would be appreciated.

Back