Linux Machine (budget 30K)

I'm talking about decoding HD content on Linux via the ATI cards.. Believe me, I had ATI 4870 and still the system used around 20-25% of CPU while decoding HD content. I never talked about encoding movies.. you should read the post twice before posting something..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And secondly I know about the use of OpenCL & CUDA based apps.. I posted a solution for ATI cards about a year ago.. see this.. http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/avivo-video-converter-problem-166035.html

Gaurish said:
Wow...Times have changed. Earlier I used to spend weeks trying to find the drivers for Linux and compiling them, but in recent times seems most hardware is supported Out of the box. Big Win:hap2:
Yup... on the top of that, I put in Debian 6.0 Squeeze DVD, installed it and whoooaaaa...... it worked as soon as I finished installation, directly landed me into GNOME with crystal clear display. I watched 8 movies on this weekend and that with not even a single problem at all :clap:

arnuld said:
Thanks Viashal, I bought it:

880GM-U2DH (880GMA wasn't available anywhere)

Athlon II X3 440

Antec 430 Earthwatts Green PSU. 80+ certified 82% efficiency at full load. Even at 88% of output, its 378.4 Watts, which is less than maximum output of UPS -390 Watts (couldn't get Corsair CX400 or VX450. only CX430 was available which is not good quality as Google search says)

Antec 300 cabinet (couldn't get NZXT Gamma, no one in CTC, Hyderabad has ever heard of this brand)

APC 650VA UPS

SONY SATA DVD-RW

Logitech wireless ketboard/mouse (K260)

As soon as I put components together, everything worked fine on Puppy Linux Live CD. Audio work just great, Desktop graphics are too fast :) . Will update with prices soon.
Pls update the prices....?

Prices updated

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

hellknight_mnd said:
I'm talking about decoding HD content on Linux via the ATI cards.. Believe me, I had ATI 4870 and still the system used around 20-25% of CPU while decoding HD content. I never talked about encoding movies.. you should read the post twice before posting something..

..SNIP..
Hey man, don't get upset. Your earlier post, to which ALPHA17 replied makes one believe that one should stay away from ATI cards. Thats the impression I got.

I know what you mean exactly when you prefer Nvidia. Almost all softwares have been written to use CPU for encoding videos. There are almost negligible numbers of softwares which use GPU (CPU of external Graphics card). Even the radeon driver I am using for my Xorg, does use CPU. vdpau is the kind of implementation which uses GPU when it comes to encoding. Soit saves CPU from overworking when GPU is already there to do this work. I hope I got you correct (only by reading your 2nd post). Like I said, you r forst post wasn't clear enough.

BTW, you will see softwares/drivers from now on that will use GPU even for playing video content. Technically, what should have been done a long time back during the inception of graphics cards. Software world is always 20 years behind hardware. We have reached from room-sized mainframes with maximum of 1 MB RAM to desk size computers with 16 GB RAM but we still have C as the fastest language.

Back