OC & Modding { lighting in case } moddiing queries :D

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
hey friends,

i need to know if i want to add 10 to 12 led's that is around 3 watt { i think } in the cabby..... with the smps crosair gs 600 , is it possible ?????

plz don't ask where or which cabby :D

and if possible then how to connect them to the hdd and cup light wire as the one of the led is constant and other one blinks :)

i am trying to connect around 6 led for the blinking type and other remaining one should be constant :)

i don't want to connect it directly to the smps as the binking thing will not be possible i think :S

so what should i do ????

and is the mobo capable of providing power to 6 led to grow ????
sorry if misplaced the idea :D

if u don't understand the query then just ask for the part u don't understand :)

i think you will have to build an electronic circuit for the blinking LEDs and fro the rest LEDs, just connect those to the power source

a re I was thinking that the blinking light we have naa in the cabby for hdd / cpu utilization indication :D , there should connect the 6 leds in row .....

but what about the power ????

AND how much can one socket of psu can handel [ led's ] ????? :/

^^ that will be a tough circuit, try to build the circuit powered by 9v then you can use the PSU molex power

so how to do that circuit ?????

and who will the led get signal from the mobo about on/off thing if create an circuit :/

Isn't their a way around ?????

so how to do that circuit ?????
First the i can't give the full circuit idea because i am not an expert. The basic thing will be like this, if you want the LEDs to blink according to CPU usage.
A driver IC for the LEDs, operated by some programmable IC or some microprocessor that can be controlled via computer serial/usb port. Next a computer program to operate this whole circuit. ~basically a tough one

and who will the led get signal from the mobo about on/off thing if create an circuit :/
I think that is pretty easy, the PSU will turn ON only when the power switch is pressed, ie when mobo is ON~PSU ON~LEDs ON

Isn't their a way around ?????
no idea, wait for some electronic engineer to post :p

Molex power connector provides 12v(yellow wire) and 5v(red wire) power output.
You can use molex power output to power an LED. However you will need to lower the output, as LED are meant to be operated at 2v or 4v(depends) and they will burn at 12v(tried and tested :p).

I had used a 500ohm resistor in series for connecting one LED(blue) across 12v connection. It worked very well.

So, to connect LED's, get some basics of electronics, figure out what resistance you need and get it done. Remember not to use LED's in parallel across single resistance.

Resistors and LEDS's are cheap. You get like 4 resistors for 1 Rs. and 1 LED or more for 1Rs.

IF Molex power connector provides 12v then can't just attach 4 x 3watt blue leds to one molex power connector and as my target is 12 leds then is it right that will need 3 molex p connector ??????? :/

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

will that work ?????

Normal LED requires about 3v and few milliamps of current to operate...

If you are using High wattage LED ,then you should use some type of Driver circuit, else LED will be dead soon.

Google for LED circuits and you will find many usefull links..

ok foun this one on net :)

guidecircuit.com/Circuit%20Ligh%2012%20LED%20Flasher.htm

want to do the style second [2]

so what all do need for that ????

princeoo7 said:
IF Molex power connector provides 12v then can't just attach 4 x 3watt blue leds to one molex power connector and as my target is 12 leds then is it right that will need 3 molex p connector ??????? :/

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

will that work ?????
3 LED's in series will not work(I have tried it). You will be better off using individual resistors across every LED(n resistors are cheap).

Looks like you will be doing this the first time, go through some local sites and shops and see the readymade led accessories available for PC's nowadays. That will give you an idea for your project ahead, and you can also buy some of them if they meet your need. if you make a mistake in your circuit/ screw up somewhere, it may end up damaging some component of your PC. (The SMPS ideally shuts down for Safety, but still). Again, ensure that the full thing is well insulated by Tape, so that it does not cause damage if it touches any part of the motherboard/ gpu etc.

princeoo7 said:
what resistor should use 1 ohm or 4.7 ohm ??????

google for it mate. You need to know some basics of electronics, atleast the Ohm's law.

For trial prupose, you can use 500ohm resistor across 12v supply. Or just connect LED directly to 12v and see how it burns(for fun). :p

know that , if then molex gives 12v then 4 x 3v leds even with seprate wires but in one molex power connector = what ?????

FIRE OR LIGHT ????

DON'T TELL ME FIRE AND LIGHT BOTH :p

Well, You can try this.

1. Take your HDD LED's Wire's Check the Voltage they Provide by using Multimeter at terminals. [to Calculate the resistance]
2. Get a Transistor, Connect the Transistor Base to HDD LED wire +ve with Resistance.
3. Now Collector Goes to +ve of LED's in series and The Emitter to 12v From SMPS
4. Short the 12v and the HDD LED ground.
12 V for 6 LED's for 3 LED's use 5V

The circuit should work like- Whenever HDD light blinks all your LED's Blink... :) Transistor will act as a Switch.
The resistors R1 will Protect your MB from over Current Draw, So it should be ~1k ohm
The Resistance R2 is decided by wattage of your LED's Simple calculation will be V=IR, P=VI
So calculate the current inserting 2v For LED so 6 in series will be 12v
Resistance=12/(power for LED's in total)

*I Take No responsibility For this circuit... :p You can Try... :)
*The resistor Causes voltage drop in series with the LED's

Back