Is Yoga beneficial for elderly people

Spectre

Skilled
I want my mom to lose weight (to avoid any health complications). She is a diabetic

Got a treadmill at home, though she is not using that much, i force her to walk on it as much as i can :p

Will Yoga help her

How easy for elder(60) and heavy lady to do the asanas

I would approach a Yoga center, but would like to have any info from any of you, who are knowledgeable about it

Chennai Folks:

Any good reputed Yoga center near Annanagar, that you are aware of

Re: Is Yoga benificial for elderly people

I'm not aware of any good Yoga centres in Madras.

However, one thing is for sure. Yoga will help your mom a lot.

It doesnt matter if she is inflexible now. Once she starts learning, her joints and muscles will become a little more supple and flexible.

Of course, in an ideal world, it would have been nice if she had started a decade earlier, but it's never too late.

The important thing though is to make sure she is being guided by a genuine teacher and not a quack. At her age, if she injures a muscle or ligament, it is going to be really bad.

I have one more suggestion. Dont laugh at me. Swimming. Weather in Madras is always conducive to swimming.

My mother suffered a lot from rheumatic arthritis. Then she started swimming about 2 years ago. since then, her joint pains have almost disappeared. Even during peak winter, she was quite pain-free.

She is about a decade or so younger to your mom, but if your mom is physically healthy, I dont think there is anything to stop her from swimming. First learning and then she can swim on her own.

yoga is overall best for all but better take suggestion from you doctor before going for certain exercise in yoga which may not be recomended for old age people or needs to be done under trainer's supervision.

Well my mon is a alternative therapist as welll as physical trainer so & 3 years back she lost a good amount of weight & increased her height by 1 inch & now i look older than her. Yeah it is goin to reallt help her a lot specially if it will be taught 1st from pranayam & easy asanas. Remember to follow the instructions o trainer quiet seriously otherwise it will coz too much harm beacuse people take yoga as light impact exercises & then repent later. Start it asap it will improve your mother's health greately as well as immunity.:)

Bro to be honest YOGA & breathing will be helpful to ur MOM a lot mate :)

Believe me even my nanny had same problem OVER weight & sugar :( but shez now is 100 percent Control thanks to BABA RAMDEV's YOGA sessions :)

U get it in DVD also in TAMIL :) the DVD & CDs come in many diff episodes & sessions !

Nikhil said:
Dont laugh at me. Swimming. Weather in Madras is always conducive to swimming.

My mother suffered a lot from rheumatic arthritis. Then she started swimming about 2 years ago. since then, her joint pains have almost disappeared. Even during peak winter, she was quite pain-free.
How did that recommendation come about ?

Swimming is just exercise, with no stress on joints at all.

But i'm surpised to know it helped with joint pain, unless her arthiritis had something to do with muscles as well.

blurp --- Well, it's supposed to work like this. Exercise of ANY kind involves movement of your joints. This is good for the joints as it involves some lubrication. But, with most activities, there is also some stress on the joints.

With swimming, there is none. So, you have the joints, muscles, etc moving and becoming stronger without any wear and tear.

Such wonderful replies! thanks a lot guys, appreciate all the inputs :hap2:

hope this thread helps many others like me, as well

you don't even need to do asanas if it's difficult. pranayama for 30min to 1 hr is more than sufficient. my mom had this thyroid problem for which she had to take a tablet each day.

then she started doing anulom-vilom for 30 min and other pranayamas for 30 min. she's been off those pills for 1 year, and most importantly no side effects.also pranayama helps a lot in loosing weight.

also please remember that pranayamas can be self taught but please don't take the same risk with asanas. for asanas and medication contact some known triners. also ramdev has opened centres in nearly every city, so you can look for help there.

Back