Is there a non pulsating induction cooktop?

6pack

ex-Mod
All of the ones for sale pause for 2-3 seconds during cooking on low wattage of 100-500W. Then they heat for another 3-4 seconds. I read on web that in reality, the induction heats at higher 500+ watts for those 4 seconds and stops for 2-3 seconds to maintain low temps since it does not have true 100W-500W heating. Just curious if anyone has a non pulsating model at lower wattage's.

Why I'm searching is because at low power modes, the induction cannot compare to slow burner of gas cooktop which keeps heating the vessel constantly. Cant cook sweets or food properly on low settings since the induction goes up and down in heating food. Rather stupid way of cooking food imo.

Will Infrared cook-top help in this case ?
no idea how they work or if i have the proper utensils for that.

Edit: apparently infrared is just a coil heating and producing heat. so anything works on it. But, it pulls full wattage from mains. It goes down by 100-200W from 1900W to 1700W when it gets pretty hot, but probably because of heat in coil and not by design.

I think i need these camping type slow cookers.

100 - 150W on full load and 5-10W on keep warm and low modes. wow.

Last edited:
Small infrared countertop appliances apply an electric current to quartz, which requires very little current to generate infrared energy. This makes efficient use of electricity, and is why the manufacturers of these appliances promote them as an environmentally-friendly option.

I think you found what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I was thinking why they don't have concentric type coils from center to outside. Like 3-4 different coils. For low wattage - just one small coil in center. Higher wattage - just switch on the outer coils.

@greenhorn
The concern you raised is applicable for some induction cook top:
Some induction cookware does not have a fully ferromagnetic base: If the base of the cookware is only partially ferromagnetic, only the area that is ferromagnetic will heat up. This may mean that heat will not be distributed evenly. The non-ferromagnetic area may not heat up to a sufficient temperature for cooking.

Back