Is it possible to connect lan and share internet with a router?

ajith025

Disciple
Hi... i have bsnl broadband connection. and two computers.

i want to share internet connection for both systems. both on xpsp2.
my broadband modem is huawei mt882 which only has one LAN connector:( and a usb.

if i buy a router and connect the net from huawei router to the router, and connect both systems to the router?

is it possible to dial to internet from both system and also share files through router..? this is done because i dont want to do direct lan and most probably one computer will be using inter net at a time.

Instead of getting the Router just get a 8-port Switch and connect the Huawei mt882 Router and both the PC's to this switch, should do the job perfectly.

Just configure the Huawei mt882 to dial the internet connection instead of dialing it from the PC's (i:e configure Huawei mt882 as a router) and you can have Internet on both the PC's at the same time.

merve_extreme said:
Instead of getting the Router just get a 8-port Switch and connect the Huawei mt882 Router and both the PC's to this switch, should do the job perfectly.

Just configure the Huawei mt882 to dial the internet connection instead of dialing it from the PC's (i:e configure Huawei mt882 as a router) and you can have Internet on both the PC's at the same time.

thanks merve_extreme.

i am using bsnl 500 combo plan, so i have unlimited download only between 2am to 8am. so i need to schedule auto dialer for that. if mt 882 is set as a router then data transfer problems occur or i have to manually switch it on @ 2am. :(

internet for 2 systems at the same time is not needed. is it possible to dial if i connect as per u suggested - modem, and 2 computer on a switch.?

if i buy a router and connect the net from huawei router to the router, and connect both systems to the router?

is it possible to dial to internet from both system and also share files through router..? this is done because i dont want to do direct lan and most probably one computer will be using inter net at a time.

Of course it is possible..

Just plug the Ethernet of your modem to the WAN port on the router

for establishing the connection, you have 3 options

- use the dialer on either your desktop/laptop..once one dialer is connected, the other machine will also have access to the net

- configure the PPPoE dialer on the router itself so that your internet is always on and either/both machines can access the net...

- Confgure the PPPoE dialer on the modem directly. Net effect same as above

From what it seems, you do not want option 2 and 3, so just use the first

superczar said:
Of course it is possible..
Just plug the Ethernet of your modem to the WAN port on the router
for establishing the connection, you have 3 options

- use the dialer on either your desktop/laptop..once one dialer is connected, the other machine will also have access to the net
- configure the PPPoE dialer on the router itself so that your internet is always on and either/both machines can access the net...
- Confgure the PPPoE dialer on the modem directly. Net effect same as above

From what it seems, you do not want option 2 and 3, so just use the first

thank u superczar
so i will buy a switch asap. :hap2:

A router costs only a bit more than a switch, and offers several additional benefits that you will realize once you either upgrade your net connection to an unltd connection, or add a new wireless device on the network

I'd strongly recommend a router over a switch

While you are at it, see if you can get a router with ADSL2+ so that you can do away with the Huawei mt882 modem and use one device fits all your needs. For instance, I have a Netgear DG834 Router that does:

1. ADSL2+ for MTNL/BSNL dsl connections
2. 4 Port Switch for PCs
3. 802.11g Wi-Fi device for connecting my notebook wirelessly.

Its an old one so the newer models may have better specs and will make it much easier to conenct machines. Some of these (like the one above) come with built-in dyndns support so that with a free dyndns account you can access your router (and hence your internal LAN) from anywhere on the internet without having to know your IP (even if its dynamic).

But ofcourse, it all depends on your budget, if yours isnt much then just buy the cheapest Linksys/Netgear router. Try and avoid D-Link devices if you can.

Hey! I think you can connect one computer to the broadband modem using the LAN and the other using the usb simultaneously. I am not completely sure of this. But it is worth checking, na:hap2:

You will have to install the drivers for the USB to work, from the CD that you got with the broadband modem, in the PC which is getting connected using the USB wire.

ajith025 said:
Hi... i have bsnl broadband connection. and two computers.

i want to share internet connection for both systems. both on xpsp2.

my broadband modem is huawei mt882 which only has one LAN connector:( and a usb.

ajith025 said:
thanks merve_extreme.

i am using bsnl 500 combo plan, so i have unlimited download only between 2am to 8am. so i need to schedule auto dialer for that. if mt 882 is set as a router then data transfer problems occur or i have to manually switch it on @ 2am. :(

internet for 2 systems at the same time is not needed. is it possible to dial if i connect as per u suggested - modem, and 2 computer on a switch.?

You can do that, create Dialup connections on both the PC's. Make sure the IP address on your Router and both the PC's are in the same range.

PS: If you can get a cheap 4 port hub that can also solve your problem instead of using a switch.

superczar said:
A router costs only a bit more than a switch, and offers several additional benefits that you will realize once you either upgrade your net connection to an unltd connection, or add a new wireless device on the network

I'd strongly recommend a router over a switch

I don't think there are any advantages using a normal router in this senario, unless ofcourse he intends to buy a wireless one, for an all in one solution.

mathew_p_a said:
Hey! I think you can connect one computer to the broadband modem using the LAN and the other using the usb simultaneously. I am not completely sure of this. But it is worth checking, na:hap2:

You will have to install the drivers for the USB to work, from the CD that you got with the broadband modem, in the PC which is getting connected using the USB wire.
this is totally possible. i have tried using this and this works. btw i have ut-starcom modem from bsnl.

Back