Is a LAN port on a modem/router the same as one on a switch?

Another networking question guys. Need some help. Have a 8 port switch which is connected to my modem, and all ports are occupied. Need 2 more wired connections. The modem has 3 unused LAN ports. If I plug in the extra 2 there is it as good as plugging it into a switch? Or, should I buy a new 16 port switch?

Without knowing your network config, the quickest way to find out is by just connecting a device to the modem/router. My guess is it should work

Another networking question guys. Need some help. Have a 8 port switch which is connected to my modem, and all ports are occupied. Need 2 more wired connections. The modem has 3 unused LAN ports. If I plug in the extra 2 there is it as good as plugging it into a switch? Or, should I buy a new 16 port switch?
Presuming existing switch is a dumb switch, no VLANs etc.
If existing switch is connected to one of the LAN ports on the modem then the rest of the LAN ports on the modem will work the same as any of the ports on the switch

Yeah, I assume your modem is just something provided by your ISP if you're asking such question means you haven't done a lot of config changes so it should just act as a switch.

The LAN ports on any modem/router act as a switch connecting devices on the same network segment, unless you have the ability to configure VLANs.

Back