CPU/Mobo Intel Dual Core & Core 2 Duo = Same or Different?!

Nir-V-aNa

Disciple
Hey guys :)
A guy just told me a couple of things abt the Processors and since i am not 2 learned abt this i jus wanted to confirm or clarify, whichever applies, the things he said.

He told me that the dual core processors and the core 2 duos are two different processors...

In his exact words,

"in dual core u got 2 processin units but fsb and cache are shared and they are combined'

AND

"in core 2 duo they use diff fsb and cache"

since i have 0 knowledge abt this, i could get further clarification on this from him.

Does this hold true or is it pure hogwash? Any comments are welcome :)

i think...it somewhat holds true..

but i am sure that the core2duo ...(aka conroe)...is way way..better than pentium D .(ie. dual core).........

Aditya, if your question is whether to buy Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, answer is simple - get the latter if you want better performance :)

Rio,

actually he is confused between the Pentium D (dual Core) and core 2 Duo

Nirvana...Here isa layman explanation:

1) Pentium d (Presler/Smithfield)= Dual Core...OK performance, high heat dissipation and power hungry, Netburst architecture like the PIV

2) Core Duo (Yonah)= Core Duo...substantial boost in performance over Pentium D, Much lower heat and power , Intel Core architecture...a very different architecture from Pentium D, primarily used in laptops

3) Core 2 Duo(Merom)= enhanced Yonah....mild boost in performance but at the same price, extension of the Intel core architecture , used for both laptops as well as dekstops

To draw an analogy, the difference between the Netburst (Pentium D ) and Core (Core Duo, Core 2 Duo) is akin to the difference between a PIII and a PIV (altogether different)

The difference between Core Duo/Core 2 Duo is like the difference between say a AMD 64 venice and winchester though larger (enhanced version on the same architecture)

Hope this clarifies the difference

Intel Core 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia will tell you everything you need to know about Core 2 Duo .

note that Pentium D and C2D are completely different :) . In C2D , I heard that you can make the full 4MB cache(e6600 upwards) to one core . the special difference between the two is earlier processors werent allowed to find out the contents of the cache from each other but in this C2D , it can , so it will save time and execute faster

Merom is better than Yonah by 20% or so

Thx a lot for explaining guys :cool2:

RiO said:
Aditya, if your question is whether to buy Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, answer is simple - get the latter if you want better performance :)
lol no Rio, i aint going for an upgrade as of now :p
Am gonna wait n see wat AMD and ATi can come up with nxt yr :eek:hyeah: :cool2:
Not much of an Intel fan...AMD Pwnz :bleh: :lol:

superczar said:
Rio,

actually he is confused between the Pentium D (dual Core) and core 2 Duo

Nirvana...Here isa layman explanation:

1) Pentium d (Presler/Smithfield)= Dual Core...OK performance, high heat dissipation and power hungry, Netburst architecture like the PIV

2) Core Duo (Yonah)= Core Duo...substantial boost in performance over Pentium D, Much lower heat and power , Intel Core architecture...a very different architecture from Pentium D, primarily used in laptops

3) Core 2 Duo(Merom)= enhanced Yonah....mild boost in performance but at the same price, extension of the Intel core architecture , used for both laptops as well as dekstops

To draw an analogy, the difference between the Netburst (Pentium D ) and Core (Core Duo, Core 2 Duo) is akin to the difference between a PIII and a PIV (altogether different)

The difference between Core Duo/Core 2 Duo is like the difference between say a AMD 64 venice and winchester though larger (enhanced version on the same architecture)

Hope this clarifies the difference

Just add this to the above .. Dual Core is no processor name.. A dual core has 2 cores for processing which processes 2 threads simultaneously. While PD , Core Duo, Core 2 Duo ,X2 , X2 Turion are dual core processor .. The only difference between all dual core processors is their manufacturing technology and core architecture.. While the number of cores remains the same for the above mentioned..

one point to note... even the conroe based E2XXX series is called pentium dual core

just see whatever comes after the core duo/dual core branding...

if its E2XXX/4XXX/6XXX/8XXX its a dual core conroe architecture which is what you shud go for (and dont buy pentium D8XX/9XX)

if its anything with QXXX, you are lucky friend coz thats a quad core :D

good lord...the thread was started way back in 06..there aint no need to revive this old a thread...pentium d`s can hardly be seen 2day

Back