Importing Whey Protein from US

Hi,

I was wondering whether importing Whey protein will be cheaper compared to buying it from India. If yes, I would like some suggestions. Specifically:

1) How much cheaper would it be importing it from US? Seeing the following, i think it is relatively pretty cheaper.

India

US1 US2

2) Do they have any expiry date? If yes, how much is their approx life? 3yrs? 5yrs?

3) Can a person flowing down from US bring it without any taxes?

4) Any other things to consider?

You're forgetting about shipping, customs duty and any surcharges you may pay when purchasing items in a foreign currency.
Add all those, and you'll land up paying closer to Rs.3000 than Rs.1800.
Not worth the headache for such a small saving in my opinion.

dragonball said:
^^ Reason please.

And Optimum Nutrition 5LB is costing 1800INR if imported. Wont that be better?
http://www.techenclave.com/general-talk/optimum-nutrition-100-whey-protein-gold-172138-2.html

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

iamddevil said:
You're forgetting about shipping, customs duty and any surcharges you may pay when purchasing items in a foreign currency.

Not really, he could just switch the packaging into some air tight plastic.

iamddevil said:

Well not really. My friend will buy it from an offline store (or buy from ebay) and will flow down to India personally. No shipping/custom.

Check Bodybuilding Supplement Coupon Codes, Sales and Freebies - Supplement Deals if shipping/customs arent a problem. you may find some of the great deals.
If you're into isolates then check MGN IsoWhey. VFM per serving.
If slow-digesting ones, try one from Dymatize, Gaspari etc.
Optimum ones are just over-hyped except the Classic whey which is some good in the league. Yuo can search over internet for more info.

Though its better to take unflavoured whey available from some Whey-producing brands here in India. and if you're in Delhi i can help you get some.

@Ankur: this will be my first suppliment and i am tilting towards Isolates. Slow digesting? Whats that and why/when is that needed?

I am in Delhi but since a friend was flowing down from US, i thought i would import something which is much cheaper there.

Why do you say "its better to take unflavoured whey available from some Whey-producing brands here in India"?

Search for Hilmar/Saputo. Also check the Fitness thread for Rockfella's posts about Saputo unflavoured whey which he got from Amritsar.

Proteins are classified into 3 :
Isolates : Low Carb, Low calories, low evrything except high amount of Protein and BCAA's per serving. E.g. Optimum Hydrowhey (its sh*t), Nature's Best Isolate (curently the best out there but costly). MGN, etc. etc.
Normal Whey : Normal whey mostly taken for gaining.
Slow-Digesting Whey (also termed as Casei) : is taken by bodybuilders at night before sleep . Why? Google it.

I've bought around 20lbs from the US. Once through a cousin. But he had to pay duties. Customs have some grudge against protein powders and its better to buy them here in india itself. But if you find a good deal at GEB. use the coupons and buy from there becasue then you'll be knowing the total landing cost to you. Otherwise, when i ordered from BB.com i was charged around 60% and through friend i was charged 45%. Sometimes it depends on your luck too. Small packets of 1lb each may attract low duties.
Search for PRO-NOS Isolate on ebay. though its not that good and contain unsaturated Carbs, but is available is packets of 1lb and can be obtained for around 30$ for 5lbs.

Regarding saputo/Hilmar. Lots of fakes are available. only few distributors in India keep them. and are sold in packets of 2-5lbs. A friend of mine bought 12kg last week for around 11k. original whey from these companies comes unflavoured. All flavoured selling on internet and shops are completely scam.
and for rest of the Imported brands, take a day out and go to Paharganj. You'll find many shops there selling them. But beware of fakes, especially Optimum.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Regarding the expiry of protein powders. Dont worry about it. If kept in good conditions the protein doesnt gets damaged. The expiry dates on packets/jars are becasue of guidelines from FDA. I've been buying expired whey from local vendors for cheap and i havent found anything different.
The only difference is the expired whey is available for cheap because no one except insane people like me buy it. :p

Back