Budget 90k+ i want to buy a work machine confused between mac book or custom PC

ankitagent47

Recruit
i am a software developer and want to use this for app and game development as well like running unity and unreal engine
can i make games on macbook ? or should go for custom pc

Look at the recommended hardware requirements for the software (should be available on their sites) you want to run and then decide.

Unreal Engine 5 recommended requirements according to Epic Games​

• Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit (Version 20H2)
  • Processor: Six-Core Xeon E5-2643 @ 3.4GHz
  • Memory: 64 GB RAM
  • Internal storage: 256 GB SSD
  • External Storage: 2TB SSD
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
  • External tools: Xoreax Incredibuild (Dev Tools Package)

want a machine for me i want to run unity and unreal engine and other 3d software's
Building a mid-range custom PC for running Unity, Unreal Engine, and other 3D software requires a balance of CPU, GPU, and RAM. Here's a suggested configuration as of my last knowledge

1. Ryzen 5 7600
2. B650m Board (Any brand but I personally recommend go with gigabyte cause it has good customer support after-sale)
3. 32GB Ram 16x2
4. RTX 4060
5. Gen3 or Gen4 nvme minimum 1TB Primary (secondary is optional and depends on your usage)
6. 650 Watts SMSP (Deepcool will do the job)
7. Case (you gotta choose)

Unreal only few months back announced support for Apple Silicon.
Unity has supported Apple Silicone for more than a year now.

The biggest problem with current Macs is the price. You have to shell out more than 3L if you want proper laptop for game development. Yet, there is no guarantee that it will match top end Windows PCs and laptops as these game engines are heavily tuned for Windows OS. If you really want to try Macs, if you have budget or 3L or so, you can easily build best of both worlds where you do development on Mac (16GB memory M2 Macbook Air is just enough or try to find a good deal for M2 Pro MBP) but you run your compilation and testing in a Windows Desktop. Otherwise, get the best Intel/AMD laptop that you can (include extended warranty as these things are bloody costly to repair after standard warranty).

A windows PC will be highly beneficial not only in terms of software support, but upgradability as well. This will allow you to stick to your 90K budget with some budget parts like 16GB ram and upgrade to 32-64GB down the line with the money you earn from that machine.

Apple is just an expensive gamble for beginner developers. Just look at their idiotic pricing for their ram and storage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-27-13-05-42-382_com.microsoft.emmx.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-27-13-05-42-382_com.microsoft.emmx.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 45
In this case I recommend to go with a Windows PC. It will be much cheaper, you'll understand your requirements more, because with graphics softwares it changes with the kind of work you are doing.

After that if you feel it's time to go really serious, you can go with right spec'd iMac, mac mini, mac studio or pro, avoid the laptops.

is there restrictions in macos as compared to windows.
For ex in ios i cant torrent.
Yes, macOS generally has stricter restrictions compared to Windows, and certain activities like torrenting/pirating may be more restricted on macOS, similar to the restrictions on torrenting in iOS.

Saying this from experience?
I am a Windows and android user, and many of my friends who use macOS and iOS claim that these platforms do not support torrenting or the pirating of apps. They argue that such restrictions contribute to the smooth functioning of their Macs and iPhones, as these devices block third-party interference.

I am a Windows and android user, and many of my friends who use macOS and iOS claim that these platforms do not support torrenting or the pirating of apps. They argue that such restrictions contribute to the smooth functioning of their Macs and iPhones, as these devices block third-party interference.

Transmission works absolutely well and is one of the best torrent clients. There are many who use pirated apps.

I m not asking about piracy.
Rather just simple things like copying amd running mp3,mp4,hevc,h264 etc formats .
Being able to zip/rar and other general things

Transmission works absolutely well and is one of the best torrent clients. There are many who use pirated apps.
Oh! I see. Thank you for sharing this insightful information on this topic. It's unfortunate that some individuals become easily upset instead of providing explanations.

Back