How to send a file via wifi??

MAGNeT

Skilled
May 4, 2005
I mean can it be used or only for net connection...
wifi...only for comp and lappy for internet

mathew_p_a

Adept
May 1, 2008
touchriver.com
Definitely you can use it for local lan networking. This will work even if the internet is down.:eek:hyeah:

I am using a BSNL huwai router which is having wifi and one ethernet port...

magnet said:
I mean can it be used or only for net connection...
wifi...only for comp and lappy for internet

Spacescreamer

ex-Mod
Jan 23, 2006
Yaar.. Its real simple.

Make a new folder if u wish to,

Put the Desired file in the new folder

Share the folder

Ask the person to access the shared folder Over ur wi fi

Good To Go

MAGNeT

Skilled
May 4, 2005
hmm...suppose i have a folder on desktop i allow it network sharing.....

now my lappy is needed to copy it..how to access it....i mean in lappy where to search comp first network neighbourhood

Naga

Skilled
Apr 5, 2005
Run network setup wizard with same workgroup names on both machines. Reboot and u're done. Shared documents are shared automatically and you can share any folder you wish by right-clicking and selecting share (edit: on XP, sharing and security).

Go to My network Places to view the files and machines that are sharing with each other i.e. all machines in the same workgroup.

MAGNeT

Skilled
May 4, 2005
ya done...was on vista lot of issues regarding permission and now finally setup is working..but its taking 32 minutes to copy a 1.36gb movie..thats a hell lot of time....

i m using vista ultimate and buffalo hp54s router..whereas lappy is hp one running windows xp

ultra vires

Adept
Dec 23, 2005
Usually u max out at 1 MBps on that router... but anyways vista is known for its network issues ( they said that they resolved it in SP1 but i didn't notice it :\ )

Switch

Skilled
Jan 13, 2005
Speeds are real slow over wifi... You are better off using a external HDD if its large amount of data...

mathew_p_a

Adept
May 1, 2008
touchriver.com
This is the normal way. But you can also directly access the computer by ip

Just goto Start -> Run
type in "\\<themachinesip>\" and press enter

You will directly goto the machine. The good thing with this is that, it wont go on searching and searching for the computers which happens if you go by "network neighbourhood"

Wifi's are slow for large copying.. But anyway it will get the job done if there is no other way.

Naga said:
Run network setup wizard with same workgroup names on both machines. Reboot and u're done. Shared documents are shared automatically and you can share any folder you wish by right-clicking and selecting share (edit: on XP, sharing and security).

Go to My network Places to view the files and machines that are sharing with each other i.e. all machines in the same workgroup.

Naga

Skilled
Apr 5, 2005
mathew_p_a said:
The good thing with this is that, it wont go on searching and searching for the computers which happens if you go by "network neighbourhood"

Disable both automatically search for Network folders & printers + search for scheduled tasks on network computers and it's as fast. The good thing is you don't have to remember IP addresses. Or jump over to see the IP if DHCP is on ;)

Some are speed demons with the command prompt, but I'm the lazy type. Drag your mouse here....

d@rK nEmEsIs

Skilled
Feb 3, 2008
Mumbai
www.techmadoo.com
magnet said:
ya done...was on vista lot of issues regarding permission and now finally setup is working..but its taking 32 minutes to copy a 1.36gb movie..thats a hell lot of time....

i m using vista ultimate and buffalo hp54s router..whereas lappy is hp one running windows xp

yeah file transfer between xp and vista over wifi is really slow

two days ago I had to transfer 8gigs of data from xp to vista the time remaining was 8 hours:S

then I connected both pc via lan via router and it took 13mins;)

But transfer over wifi in xp to xp is good.A 600MB file took 2mins:)

Reactions: 1 person

Naga

Skilled
Apr 5, 2005
H@cKer said:
yeah file transfer between xp and vista over wifi is really slow

two days ago I had to transfer 8gigs of data from xp to vista the time remaining was 8 hours:S

then I connected both pc via lan via router and it took 13mins;)

But transfer over wifi in xp to xp is good.A 600MB file took 2mins:)

Time remaining shown in Vista is not a constant. Comparison should be done with the same file. You can't compare an estimated time to complete for 8 gigs of assorted data with a real time transfer of a single 600MB file.

There shouldn't be much of a difference between Vista or XP. Use teracopy for a visual indication of speed. 1~2 MBps is what I get on a G, whatever be the platform OS. On draft N, I get anywhere from 4~9 MBps (different adapters).

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
for me, file transfer between XP, OS X and Linux hit an average 3-4 MB/s on wifi (vanilla g)

Vista is another (sad) story altogether

sickizblank

Adept
Jan 10, 2009
Spacescreamer said:
Yaar.. Its real simple.

Make a new folder if u wish to,
Put the Desired file in the new folder
Share the folder
Ask the person to access the shared folder Over ur wi fi

Good To Go

^^ +1